PDA

View Full Version : Leuchars Airshow Nimrod

fantaman
9th Sep 2006, 20:41
Went along to the Battle of Britain airshow at Lechars today. Wasn't expecting the Nimrod in the flying line up but was pleasantly surprised by the Mighty Hunter's appearance.

So soon after the tragedy it was good to see her in the sky. Marked by a single flypast straight down the runway, you could have heard a pin drop but for the sound of camera shutters. She flew by to the sound of Elgar's Nimrod playing over the PA system, enough to send tingles down everyones spine.

The inclusion of the Nimrod flypast was obviously incredibly important for the RAF, and in Scotland in particular, as it was the most public way that they could salute the 14 servicemen killed last week in Afghanistan.

Must have been a somber moment for the crew, well done you guys.

QFIhawkman
9th Sep 2006, 21:28
I was also at Leuchars today Fanta.

Agreed, what a moment, and a great tribute.

I also thought that the DC3 display and Spitfire were great moments too, harking back to another generation that lost so many. It all fitted together nicely.

It was nice to see so many public at the display today, and I personally was impressed at the range of aircraft on static, I had no idea Leuchars was so big a draw for the Air Forces and public alike, having never visited before.

I was intrigued by the 4 RDAF trainers... What were they? (Reminded me of a slightly higher wing mounted on a Bulldog!)

Well done Leuchars.

Bigears
9th Sep 2006, 22:22
QFIhawkman,
Saab T-17.
So as to not hi-jack this thread, check your PM for some photos.

QFIhawkman
9th Sep 2006, 22:24
QFIhawkman,
Saab T-17.
So as to not hi-jack this thread, check your PM for some photos.

Yeah I checked..... Nothing there. However, thanks for the type, I'll be able to google it no probs!

Thanks again.

excrewingbod
9th Sep 2006, 22:28
One of the most emotional flypasts I've ever seen.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/DarrenBe/Leuchars%209th%20Sep%202007/nimrod_1.jpg

fantaman
9th Sep 2006, 22:38
Nice shot excrewingbod, was going to snap myself but decided just to stand and look skywards, glad I did.

wbryce
11th Sep 2006, 11:22
fantaman, I had the very same feeling! this was a great tribute and emotional fly past!