PDA

View Full Version : Ken Cook

Nov71
9th Sep 2006, 15:12
The death is reported in the Manchester Metro News 8 Sep of Sqn Ldr Ken Cook DFC, (94) the last surviving Avro test pilot. He test flew more than 400 Lancasters as well as a variety of other military, training and civil aircraft.
www.metronews.co.uk

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
12th Sep 2006, 11:20
A sad loss. Ken was also the Woodford SATCO for many years.

The phrase, "last surviving Avro test pilot" is a bit disturbing, though. I hope Tony Blackman is still with us.

Nov71
12th Sep 2006, 13:05
Last surviving Avro test pilot was quote from Manchester MetroNews article
No offence intended

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
12th Sep 2006, 13:19
NOV 71

None taken; I'm grateful that you noticed it and made the Post. I was just worried that Metro News knew something that we didn't. Anyway, I've since discovered that Tony Blackman is presenting a lecture at Boscombe Down tonight, so that's a relief.

LOMCEVAK
14th Sep 2006, 21:08
Ken was also a member of Number 1 Course, ETPS. I believe that there may be just one other surviving member of that course, but Ken will be remembered as one of the founding members of the school. I had the great privilege of spending an afternoon with him at his home last year, listening to some wonderful stories and looking at his fascinating logbooks. His son followed in his father's footsteps, also working at Woodford for many years as an engineer.

Ken was a true gentleman, a fine aviator and a great character. He will be sadly missed.

spekesoftly
22nd Sep 2006, 23:11
Just noticed in today's DT Obituaries (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/22/db2201.xml) that another ex-Avro TP, Dickie Martin, passed away on September 1st. Prior to his time at Avro, he had been Gloster's CTP.

Another surviving Avro Test Pilot is Jimmy Harrison, although sad to say that he has not been well for some considerable time. He and DM were both Vulcan and 748 TPs.

wasdale
23rd Sep 2006, 05:28
Very sorry to hear of Dickie's death.
I flew with him many times as my captain and always looked forward to being with him. I learned a lot from him and he was very popular.
RIP.

Nov71
30th Sep 2006, 21:50
From the Letters page Manchester Metro News 29 Sep

"With reference to your article regarding the sad passing of Avro test pilot Ken Cook I feel the content was not quite accurate. Ken was an excellent test pilot who later retired from flying to become Senior Air Traffic Controller for the Company. However, he certainly was not the very last Avro test pilot as Jimmy Harrison, Tony Walker, Tony Blackman and a number of others are still around. Harry Holmes Avro historian."

I understand the original article was written by a 'freelance' journalist. Presumably he is now back to reporting aviation disasters or Party conferences!