PDA

View Full Version : MSN or Skype

Ned-Air2Air
8th Sep 2006, 23:04
Obviously there are a lot of instant messaging programs out there so thought I would ask people here what they use to keep in touch with the outside world.

I know of a number of helo companies that use skype as a way to keep in touch with all their bases, sending files and documents to each of them through the data transfer options - Comments anyone.

Ned
Skype - KiwiNed
MSN - [email protected]

B Sousa
8th Sep 2006, 23:41
Ned all are good. I use Skype for the phone and Video also. Im also on Yahoo and MSN messenger.
Its killing the Phone companies. That along with VOIP. We use www.vonage.com in the states. Hope thats not advertisement. Problem with you is your never in one place for over 5 seconds.
I see the last thread went to cyber heaven.........hope you get this message. Correction, I see its back. Must take them off and review them or something....beyond me.........

9th Sep 2006, 00:16
I use what ever works at the time. Oh isn't technology great.
Options are;

VOIP
landline last

If one doesn't work or quality is down, i'll try another.
It may also depend on what every one else has at their end.
Saving money - always!:) :D :p :O :O :O

MCA
9th Sep 2006, 00:26
I use skype out in the field; it can be a bit patchy at times when the satellite system is playing up (rain fade etc) all in all a great program for me out in the Canadian Wilderness… I call normal phones with the program also, that can be a bit hit and miss… but it’s cheaper than a sat phone call!

Kulwin Park
9th Sep 2006, 01:35
:ok: I use Skype, as I find MSN is a bit slow at times. excellent, and saves phone for important calls when possible.... but like previous said... its what the person has at the other end.
Cheers

vaqueroaero
9th Sep 2006, 01:51
I use Skype for video calling and Vonage in the house as the landline. Free unlimited calls to some parts of Europe and throughout the US and Canada - half the price of the major carriers. It has a few problems, but on the whole it's way better than certain major carriers.

212man
9th Sep 2006, 09:07
Skype, is amazing. The ability to communicate with the other side of the world, for free, or even to call landlines for a couple of cents a minute, is incredible. The latest version allows you to send SMS messages too. Sometimes it can be slightly distorted or have delays, but then so can some international phone calls. Certainly an improvement on using HF to Portishead (now defunct British Telecom ground station) requesting a phone patch at XX pounds a minute!

Not sure why people are distinguishing between VOIP and Skype; surely Skype is just a brand name for a VOIP service?

9th Sep 2006, 09:27
As i understand it Skype (or messenger etc) allow you to talk, or text/message, computer to computer for free [if both parties have the same software].
With Skype (or messenger etc) you can call land lines at a certain rate per minute also.
VOIP is used to call a landline from a computer, a computer from a landline, a landline to a landline and also computer to computer like Skype & messenger etc over a broadband connection.
Horses for courses, but with different hardware & software.
happy conversing:ok: ;)

212man
9th Sep 2006, 09:43
Well VOIP is Voice Over Internet Protocol, so I'm not sure it would be used for landline to landline?

9th Sep 2006, 10:06
You purchase a SIP Voice Box and configure it for your VOIP, then connect it to your ADSL router, then connect a normal telephone to it and use it as normal.
There are now a considerable amount of providers (if you do a search on the internet). The cost saving comes when the calls (local & long distance) are cheaper than your telephone line provider.
One suppliers discription;
Using SIP technology (session initiation protocol) with a "Voice Box", your calls are directed through the Internet rather than the plain old telephone system. The "Voice Box" can be attached to an analog, cordless or DECT telephone, allowing you to make and receive calls as you normally would.
You would probably use this part of the VOIP family in an office or at your home, when you don't want to talk into a handset on the computer.
Happy Calling!:)

B Sousa
9th Sep 2006, 12:40
"Well VOIP is Voice Over Internet Protocol, so I'm not sure it would be used for landline to landline?"

With Vonage as VOIP, I no longer have a phone hooked to my house. I still have the same phone number but all goes via the internet somehow. My phone rings if you call etc. First time in my life I am not using a telephone company and Im sure they are not at all happy. They created their own mess by charging such ridiculous rates, let them suffer.
Its like newspapers today they are screaming for customers as most people now get their information either from the TV or the internet.
Times change things.

Thridle Op Des
9th Sep 2006, 13:16
If you want to see how one of the telcos reacted, go to middle east forum.

TOD

vaqueroaero
9th Sep 2006, 15:19
I have a phone line into the house - but only for high speed internet and also Directv. I have a phone number for it but never use it. There's no phone connected to it. Great number to give to telemarketers!

Gomer Pylot
9th Sep 2006, 19:11
I mostly use Google Talk, which allows text, voice, and file transfer. I use Skype for calling phones, but it works just about like Google Talk also.