PDA

View Full Version : Spreadsheet for Mac

TightSlot
8th Sep 2006, 08:52
Post removed from other Mac thread - due intruding on private fight.
-------------------------------------------------------
Well, I finally went over to the dark side - my new macbook is being cooked in an oven somewhere in the Netherlands and should be delivered sometime in the next fortnight. Farewell XP - the Presario gets recycled down to my oldest son and I get to grip with Tigers/Leopards etc.

I'm determined to use the native apple software as far as possible (ical etc.) instead of MsOffice - seems to me that I can get by nicely, but the only part of Office that I'll miss is the spreadsheet. Is there no apple standalone spreadsheet available? (i.e. that comes without a full suite of other applications)

Thanks guru's for any advice...

Jet II
8th Sep 2006, 09:50
The only one i can think of is Mariner (http://www.marinersoftware.com/sitepage.php?page=14)
But why the neccessity to have a separate program and not part of a complete suite?

If you really want to use just native apple software whats the problem with AppleWorks?

TightSlot
8th Sep 2006, 09:56
I'm sorry - I must be confused - I thought Apple Works had been discontinued?

Dop
8th Sep 2006, 10:51
The Mac version of OpenOffice currently requires X11 to run, which is not properly integrated into the OS X look and feel and to all accounts doesn't look too good. There's NeoOffice, a port of OpenOffice which does run natively under OS X, but I've heard there will be an official OS X port of OpenOffice coming out quite soon.

OpenOffice is largely (though not 100%) compatible with Microsoft Office documents, such as Word and Excel, though you'd have to convert any macros you might run.

Anyway, they're both free, so you've got nothing to lose but your time!

(Took the links out as they may be construed as advertising. JFGI!)

Mac the Knife
8th Sep 2006, 16:32
You mean the Light side!

29 August 2006: NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 3 is released. This release is based on the OpenOffice.org 2.0.3 code and includes all of the new OpenOffice.org 2.0.3 features. NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 3 can be downloaded here.

Get it at http://www.neooffice.org/

It's free! And giving links to places where you can download software isn't advertising - we wouldn't be able to post any links if it were.

:ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Sep 2006, 19:24
Not that I've ever used a Mac so I might have remebered this wrong from reading the comics in the late 1980s or whenever it was ... but wasn't Microsoft Excel the original and best Mac spreadsheet, of which a pale imitation eventually surfaced on the PC?

[Edited to say: actually I did use a Mac for a month, but I got sacked from that job after objecting to the MD calling me a liar. Probably nothing to do with the Mac.]

Mac the Knife
9th Sep 2006, 05:49
Well, there was LisaCalc for the Lisa
Then Lotus Jazz (office suite for the Mac) - big flop
Then Lotus 1-2-3 for Macintosh

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/splashes/1-2-3/1.0-mac.png

I think Excel came after that, but I'm not a historian!

No, I'm wrong! Excel was originally written for the 512K Apple Macintosh in 1984-1985.

pendrifter
10th Sep 2006, 20:08
I believe Appleworks is still available?
I've used it for years. When Apple Mac started it was called Appleworks then taken on by Clarisworks; and then went back to MacIntosh. A complete set up, much the same as Microsoft Office, but more refined. Plus OSX etc much easier to unerstand and use. I do graphics etc for printing, and using Appleworks or Quark I can cover everything I need; from clients requirements to my personal and office needs.
If you've gone to Mac don't think about Microsoft. I have Word etc but only to download and translate over to Appleworks or Quark, so I can sort out and make something like the client thinks he has produced!
Unfortunately, Mr Gates' system has made everyone think they are printers/graphic designers - far from the truth. Some basic knowledge of how a page of print should look in order to be right is still a requirement.
Apart from which, how many times to you hear of virus' affecting Macs?
Go for total Mac - its the only way.
Best of luck - you won't need it!

TightSlot
11th Sep 2006, 16:52
Thank you all

MightyGem
13th Sep 2006, 18:12
I thought Apple Works had been discontinued
In a manner of speaking. It's not been converted(if that's the right word) for the intel processors, so is no longer bundled with new machines.