PDA

View Full Version : CATS (Luton) formerly: Cranfield (CATS)

bombay b bandit
28th Apr 2003, 09:29
Flew through at the Flyer exhibition & noticed Cranfield (not Cabair) or 'CATS' were offering a 50% scholarship on the ATPL course, has anybody got any other info on this?

Thanks

:confused: :O

Freak
1st May 2003, 00:49
I didn't look into it too thoroughly as I'm not seriously thinking of starting the course, but as far as I could see it is just an inflated groundschool pricelist structured to allow massive reductions so that the word "scholarship" can be flagged about everywhere (and illicit the response that you have shown) and then to draw you up to them for a "scholarship suitability test" (to get their feet in the door).

But then again that could just be me being cynical!

tonyblair
2nd May 2003, 04:41
It's worth doing a search on here for CATS ;)

neil_1821
28th Apr 2006, 17:36
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the ground school training at cranfield? I know they are supposed to have the highest pass marks in the country, but is there any other news about them? I am considering going there to do the full residential course in september.

Any comments would be appreciated

Chocks_Away
30th Apr 2006, 12:32
Hi Neil,
When you say Cranfield I presume you mean Cabair? After talking with some of the students currently there they say the textbooks aren’t that great however the instructors give out handouts which are supposed to help loads.

I’m going to be part of the September intake so ill see you then!

neil_1821
30th Apr 2006, 14:47
I have heard that there notes arn't all the good, but if they give handout's then that's fine as well. I presume that you are going on the residential course then. They mentioned someone had already signed up for the one in spetember and they gave the special deal of £2495, would that be you by any chance??
I am going to ring them up on tuesday and ask if i can go look around the place, all being well i shall enroll while i'm down there:ok:

Chocks_Away
30th Apr 2006, 16:17
Yes im going to be residential, whe you say special deal was that refering to the accomadation? If so i mite have to look into that. No i havnt signed anything yet, been far to busy with other commitments at the minute. Whats your background, age etc?

Mite be best to reply by PM

porridge
30th Apr 2006, 17:34
I thought it was CATS at Cranfield who had the good pass rate - maybe I'm wrong and it is CABAIR after all!

3legs
30th Apr 2006, 19:58
Neil / Chocks away
I am currently fininshng off at Cranfield (Cabair) The Groundschool is good and the instructors are excellent and really know their subjects and all will help you get through the course. They will even take time out of lunchtime or after hours to help you with any specific issues that might arise. The notes as you have suggested were not the best when I first set eyes on them but they have since been re written and now in colour too!! You will need a wheelbarrow to take home notes etc from the subjects after each day at groundschool. The hand outs compliment the notes and will definately help with the understanding. whatchout for Nav that can be a bit tricky but with the guidence of Paul Hardie (CGI) you will get through Nav...He has helped many of us get there and Nav was not my best subject!
If you want any further info please feel free to PM me or if you are coming Cranfield I will be happy to show you round or answer any questions you might have!
Good luck with the training..
3legs

neil_1821
30th Apr 2006, 21:11
now porridge has confused me, i think we've all got mudduled up, now i'm guessing that there is Cabair and CATS both at cranfield, in which case i have posted the wrong name as i was looking at CATS, however from judging by the responses cabair seems to be just as good. Although feel free to correct me or put us all straight.:bored:

dwshimoda
1st May 2006, 08:20
Cranfield has 5 or 6 flight training organisations, the biggest of which is Cabair.

ATPL training is only carried out by Cabair and CATS - the two are very different organisations.

DW

neil_1821
1st May 2006, 09:21
thought they might be, well in that case which would you think is better? CATS or cabair? bearing in mind i only want to do the theory at the minute and not the whole package

neil_1821
3rd Aug 2006, 21:23
As the title states, anyone starting at CATS, or already down there, also are you staying in a B&B, i've found 2 but i dont know which one to go for, one is an old pub and the other is a fairly large house, with some nice facilities.

Aussie
8th Sep 2006, 01:49
Gday, currently doing my JAA ATPLS with Cranfield, anyone know how good there material is?

Im thinkin about buying the Bristol exam questions, but not sure if i need to with the Cranfield question bank supplied.

Anyone been through and have an idea?

Cheeers

middenview
8th Sep 2006, 20:20
Only done the IR exams with them, but yes as long as you get the specific items listed in their intro (CAP697 etc, Jepp Stude manual). They have their own question bank.

My guess is that as a future ATPL, personal study of the JARs and ICAO docs would be rewarding.

Aussie
10th Sep 2006, 01:29
Thanks mate

Anyone else dealt with this mob?

Aussie

planeeasy7
11th Sep 2006, 11:19
I've been doing my ATPL exams from home with them. Everything has gone well, they've got they're own website questions and i've done two stages of the distance learning with all passes so far! Even POF (after some graft!)
The ground schools are really good before the exams, and any probs i had we're sorted there.

Havent seen the bristol question bank, I have been using the question bank i got with the CATS course.

I'd say, take your first exams and see how you get on!
I passed all of mine no probs so if it works why go the extra!?!

cheers

PlaneEasy7

Turbine King
19th Jan 2007, 23:12
Just about to start online ATPL
Anyone else on yet as the demo only shows HPL

J.

glenroberts
22nd Jan 2007, 18:19
Yea, been through HPL ... onto AL ... still a lot to go but liking the material so far.

Turbine King
28th Jan 2007, 15:17
You like Air Law!

HPL was interesting and has some brilliant pictures and examples
Ive looked ahead at meteorology which looks good but AL is like :ugh:

Think im gonna question spot on their Q&A areas for it Glenn

dom462
28th Jan 2007, 15:37
Just about to start online ATPL
Anyone else on yet as the demo only shows HPL

J.

Is the demo available before you sign up?

Turbine King
30th Jan 2007, 09:25
I just contacted the school and was put on the demo during the phone call
There is a course information area where you can explore
Its a bit strange at first but the info is all there - its just working out what it means - :)

dom462
30th Jan 2007, 20:54
I just contacted the school and was put on the demo during the phone call
There is a course information area where you can explore
Its a bit strange at first but the info is all there - its just working out what it means - :)

Are the notes in webpage format or are they in a pdf type format? Just wondering if you could download the course notes for future reference.

Turbine King
6th Feb 2007, 12:20
"Are the notes in webpage format or are they in a pdf type format? Just wondering if you could download the course notes for future reference."

They are online printable but not downloadable
I have a set of paper ones as well from a couple of years ago
The online is great at work as i can nick in a bit of study and practice a few questions in between other things :)

alphakilo
27th Feb 2007, 18:35
My experience ... PPL, Night Rating, IMC, Hour Building ...all caried out with Cats Flight and Cats Ground School. How would I describe the scool overall....Good Reliable Knowledable Experienced Flight Instructors, Good Value for Money, Pleasent helpful people, and a good atmosphere.... the rest is up to you..... if you put someting in.... you will get more out. Cranfield is the place to train.

Turbine King
28th Feb 2007, 16:42
Did you get to fly with Stuart then?

hpcock
1st Mar 2007, 03:07
Finished my groundschool there some time ago. Was really good. 95% of my class passed 1st time in all subjects.

Had the pleasure of dropping in at the school at the end of last yr & saw the new on line Web based training - looks good, even better than what we had!!

IMO you can't go wrong with them

Good luck to all
HPC

kangy
1st Mar 2007, 09:53
Just got back from a bit of one on one at CATS and just wanted to say wow!
I had taken a loooooong break from aviation after I'd made some (expensive!) mistakes, learned my lesson and started things afresh.
Been hammering through the ATPL's, 12 passed, 2 to go next week! :\ :bored: :uhoh:
Went into CATS for a bit of brush up and the guys there did wonders, working through problems and queries I had - fingers crossed I'm all ready for next week now, Thanks guys!
:ok: :ok: :E :ok: :ok:

CleverK1
7th Mar 2007, 00:24
I'm thinking about signing in this week for the CATS Online Distance Learning Course. It seems to be good and I like the approach to do the tests in 3 parts.
I'm sure that the other big schools are good as well...but CATS responded to my emails in no time. After all it is how much effort you put into you studying.

The first posting says something about a 50% discount? The post is from 2003...but I'm wondering if there are some other discounts out there?

Turbine King
11th Mar 2007, 22:32
It is good
My brother benefited from the discount mentioned 4 years ago and paid about £1000 when the course price was over £2000
Now ive signed up I did not need study guides so went for online option which is only £1000 - so same price anyway and theyve got more on it now in questions areas and key facts areas
HPL and OPS were quick to study the online study guides and have practised all the questions (about 700 in HPL!), AL is hard work and MET i like so far and the COMS ive sneaked ahead on is easy - exams April!!!!

Turbine King
20th Mar 2007, 08:09
The first ground school for the online boys (and girl) this week
So far so good with HPL from Dr Dave
12 in the class so a bit busy but only for 5 days
We all seem to know our stuff from distance learning
Makes me wonder a bit why we need it with so much on the online system
but its nice to meet everyone

exams but a couple of weeks away!!!

kangy
26th Mar 2007, 12:26
After many months of hard work, I've finally passed all my ATPL's (with a little extra help from the guys at CATS!)
Just wanted to say thanks to them for their help and congratulations to them too, I understand they got a 100% pass rate this month! :D
So guys its on to the fun part for me now.... get a massive loan, then take to the skies for the CPL/IR - any advice or recomendations?!

RoosterBooster
26th Mar 2007, 13:57
Hi Kangy,

Congrats. I'm a new student of CATS and have just started stage one.

I've had a chat with Stuart a good few times and I must say he does come across very helpful and energetic. He has a true passion for everything aviation. A good teacher by all accounts.

He was recommended by a friend who went through CATS.

All the best with your flight training. Will you be using CATS Flight?

Enjoy.

RB

OpenCirrus619
26th Mar 2007, 14:27
I think (Dr) Stuart not only has a passion for aviation - but also for teaching. When I did my ground school at CATS the aim, as far as I could see, was to teach the subject and then practise for examinations - as opposed to teach to pass the exam.

When I went around the various schools looking for somewhere to study the reason I chose CATS was the enthusiasm - not only of the staff, but also the students (which has got to say something).

I would recommend anyone looking around for ground school to take a look at: http://www.cranfieldaviation.com before chosing.

OC619

Turbine King
26th Mar 2007, 19:00
You'll need the demo details to get into the wbt study sites though

email: flyer@cats
password: demo

CAT3C AUTOLAND
26th Mar 2007, 20:30
Kangy,

You must be crazy :eek:. IR, the fun bit? Sitting there, riding the white knuckle ride, with those dogey screens up, sweating like a pig not knowing what is going on with all those needles! Nothing fun in that :=.

Mind you, with the new rules of being able to use the autopilot and GPS, it should be a piece of cake.

Only joking, you will enjoy it. Well done on passing your exams :D.

kangy
28th Mar 2007, 13:29
well the flying is what we're all meant to be doing it for isn't it?
I mean, if you dont enjoy the flying, then why put yourself through the ATPL's? :ugh: :uhoh:

hehe joke taken ;)

Well off to see Mr Bank Manager next week - lets see if he sticks to his original promise!

Turbine King
31st Mar 2007, 07:03
The weekend before the exams and I've been told to take a day off by CATS

HPL, AL, OPS, VCOM, ICOM and MET next week and I've woken up early dreaming about ground school and questions

What to do? All I do now is review key facts and questions on the web based training

Wish they were today to get it over with

gmac1977
2nd Apr 2007, 13:30
A quick post to echo those thoughts of previous pprune posters.

Started CATS groundschool last month and have nothing but admiration for DR Stuart & Dr Dave,

Both are extremely talented and knowledgable.

I imagine there are only a handful of academics in the world who can produce, compile and publish their own ATPL study guides with such success. You try!.....

Any student starting thier ATPL's over the coming months would be foolish not to consider CATS groundschool......

and at under a £1000 for the online course you could (like me) invest in a few extra flight hours with the change!! (look out the window, Its lovely!)

happy days!:)

Turbine King
11th Apr 2007, 21:44
So i went flying instead of studying on the weekend before my exams!

Nothing unusual came up

And now the wait for results

Supposed to be studying Stage 2 now - some chance

Firestarter7
12th Apr 2007, 14:28
Hi Turbine King

Ive just started at CATS online with Stage 1

what is the problem with Stage 2?

and good luck with your exams by the way

FS

Turbine King
26th Apr 2007, 07:15
Passed all of stage 1 :) . Basically I took a break. Getting stuck into Principles of Flight Online now. The early chapters seem ok and the question bank on there fits in with the study like on the first stage. Was up at school and the April pass rate was 94% which included Stage 2 subjects so just getting on with it now

zero2hero
6th May 2007, 22:18
Want to hear from ex CATS students.How did you get on? any regrets? I'm having trouble choosing between CATS and Bristol. Any idea why CATS is 1k and Bristol is £2k???? Whats the difference? what shall i do?

gmac1977
7th May 2007, 22:26
Hi zero2hero

Im currently studying my ATPL's with CATS. I assume you are talking about distance learning?

I cant really answer your question

I paid just under £1000 for the study guides and groundschool at CATS and I understand Bristol have recently just put their prices up to well over £2000 which is a joke, these companies should be bringing prices down, not up!

I took alot of advise from fellow pilots before i chose CATS.
the general theme was that Bristol was charging far too much for far too little.
The CATS package is good compared to most of the out of date stuff supplied by other schools,namely oxford and cabair.a friend of mine who has paid over £600 for the 1st stage at bristol prefers using my study guides instead! something to do with being easier to understand!

Sitting my 1st 6 exams in June.feeling confident
If you PM me ill keep you updated.

good luck with your decision

gmac

Turbine King
10th May 2007, 19:40
Hi rooster

Sorry for late reply ive been off taking a break

My brother did CATS years back and now flies citation ive been slower to change career

As for study he says its better and easier now!
But hey he's got the licence

It is hard and with exams under belt it is strange studying Stage 2
The subjects are interesting and well laid out with tonnes of questions and key facts but it is hard to enjoy it when you know exam is coming up again

i read the stuff, make notes against their key facts then hit the quick questions then do the PTs. any stuff i get wrong i get answer off brother or CATS and then there is Stuart who doesn't seem to let up on me

hpcock
10th May 2007, 20:00
Haven't browsed the wannabes forum for ages & I stumble across my old school!!

CATS was great for me & all the guys and girls in my class. Can't believe its been such a long time since then, but it was by far the best choice I ever made in my short but now successful aviation career. Flying the 320 at the moment & think all my classmates are on something similar....the last time we spoke.

Would recommend it to anyone looking to start ground school, do brush ups or anything groundshool related. Stuart & the boys there were fantastic....many thanks & much appreciated even at this stage. Wouldn't have got there without them.

Is it true they are opening up a flight school soon??

Happy landings
HPC

FlyingOW
15th May 2007, 01:51
Hi all:

Quick couple of questions regarding the digital online 1000 GBP DL course with CATS......

Does this include one week brush up before exams?(additional costs?)

For exams in August (6th-9th), when would brush up be held? (Dates in July?)

How is the time frame looking for Stage 1? (2.5 months)

Much appreciated,

OW

RoosterBooster
15th May 2007, 07:47
Cheers Turbine King,

No doubt I'll bump into you at CATS. I'm aiming to be there every second weekend from the end of this month.

Enjoy...

Turbine King
18th May 2007, 16:24
Hi all
Whats the pass rate this month?

looptheloop
18th May 2007, 17:23
Hopefully stuart maintained his 100% this month. I just got my results for Stage 1 and got an average of 93.6%, including 100% twice. So i'm glad i didnt lose him his record!
On to the next stage and the joys of Gnav zzz.
Good Luck to everyone else. Thanks Stuart and Doctor Dave!

Turbine King
4th Jun 2007, 17:06
FlyingOW

The online course includes the ground schools

The additional costs so far have been
JAR Student Pilot Route Manual £32 and lots of beer after I passed Stage 1:}

There is a nice amount of time to study Stage1 in from my experience
I'm in stage 2 now just having completed POF and about to start GNAV prob next week

Dash Decent
15th Jun 2007, 15:00
My first ground school next week

Last minute tips anyone?

Turbine King
21st Jun 2007, 18:16
Copy down all the stuff that goes on the board
especially in Met
those diagrams answered so many questions for me

Keep bashing the CATS online question banks - they ARE the exam

dont worry too much about bad marks - the ground school papers are harder than the real exams

Dash Decent
27th Jun 2007, 11:30
Sorry - think I confused you
I'm on the PPL course

But your advice still applied

Just passed AL and HPL :)

Chigago convention - strange learning this but came up in exam

The online notes are easier to read than a book
but Air Pilot manual and PPL Key Facts was good for the train journey to work

Dash

Niado
27th Jun 2007, 12:17
Hey all, it's so nice to read all your comments and see that there are others out there who are going along my path aswell or who have already taken it.

Thank god i found this site, who said roaming the internet was a waste of time.

Currently trying to finish my PPL- but this darn weather has cancelled like 15 of my lessons- driving me mad- and i find myself cooking- which is wierd (but thats a whole other matter).

I'm going along the Cats route- does anyone know what aircrafts they have up at Cranfield as i want to do most of my hours building up there. Thanks:ok:

Dash Decent
28th Jun 2007, 14:44
They have 2 x C150s
Two Bulldogs and a seneca

The flight school is mainly for hirers and hour builders with some PPL and IMC training going on

2 examiners and 2 instructors and a general manager

planeeasy7
29th Jun 2007, 12:38
Got the lot!
Delayed getting my results from the CAA :eek:

A very BIG thank you to Stuart and his team at Cranfield
I'm on top of the world and not coming down for a long while

I feel that I should still be studying

Can I take the course again - only joking

Thanks a million once again
I shall be up soon to sort out flying

planeeasy07

Firestarter7
2nd Jul 2007, 15:18
Well done planeeasy!!!

Im taking my first exams this week

Its been very good on Stage 1 - only the results will tell

Turbine King
5th Jul 2007, 11:11
Yeah well done Plane - You've motored through
Where you going to fly?
Ive been up at the school this week - Cranfield is flooded!
A bit of hour building is going on and the usual ground training
Forgot to find out the pass rate this month - anyone know?

TK

olliew
5th Jul 2007, 13:49
Hi Turbine King,
"Cranfield is flooded"
As I work at Cranfield I would love to know where abouts the floods are. Especially as I'm 'not a million miles' from CATS.

Dash Decent
10th Jul 2007, 11:01
Just about to do PPL Flight Planning section Online

Are you allowed a calculator in the exam?
and should I purchase a CRP5

CATS have said get CRP5W or CRP5
windarm or not?

coodem
11th Jul 2007, 06:25
Can anyone tell me if the rumour is true. Been told that CATS question bank is now the same as bristol gs, Can anyone confirm this, no point spending money on something I already have

angel83
11th Jul 2007, 09:39
Hello !!

Nice to read your comments...is anyone currently or have finsihed a DL ATPL with CATS?

How is it? do they provide cds? books? or everything is on the internt?

And for the week....where do you sleep? do they offer accomoadtion for 1 week or 2 at good price?

thank you !!

coodem
11th Jul 2007, 10:03
You get all the material via the web, Its all online, you can't download it to your PC and work on it at your own leisure, They give you a lot of info on there, including practise tests on each subject. (I'm still trying to find out how good they are compared to the bristol question bank, rumour has it that they are now the same)

You can pay an extra £500 and get the books from them, I am not going to bother, but instead am looking to purchase a second hand set of books from any other supplier, that way if I struggle to understand one schools interpretation, I can look at the other, which will usually be explained in a differant way

angel83
11th Jul 2007, 13:46
so you ve started the dl atpl with CATS?

what do you mean yuo cant d/ on your pc? you cannot print the subject?
and for quizzes? do you have some to send every weeks ? do you ahve a progression chat with them??

thanks

coodem
11th Jul 2007, 14:32
I have just started, I have been told I can call them whenever I have any problems and they will help me, not needed so far

Progress is done online, You are given a timetable ie. study chapters 1-9, then write an assesment test, if you pass you can move onto the next level

They have a large online questionbank

To do any of the course you need to be connected to the internet, not a real problem if you are always going to be studying somewhere where you have internet access, if not, you will need to get some books.

As I said earlier, I have just started. I have completed HPL, now 25% of the way through AL, and I find the material OK. Still finding it hard to get into the study routine and adapting to CAA's way of asking/answering questions.

CIS
11th Jul 2007, 16:31
CATS is good school and there notes are very good and helpfull especially for the exams

:ok::D

mra2z
23rd Jul 2007, 11:40
Yes they do, from what ive seen of it, its in colour and they give a more thorough explanation.

Dash Decent
25th Jul 2007, 14:22
The PPL online is very nice and I'm passing subjects first time with very high marks.

As I'm studying I'm noticing them adding more stuff based on my comments on the course which is very nice to see.
I love the pictures of the Chigago convention - you can imagine rules for aviation being created there

I cannot wait to start the ATPL. The students at the school are very focused and I'm itching to get in on their lessons.

Flying is magical. Hope to start my solo nav flights soon but weather is crazy.

Turbine King
28th Jul 2007, 08:42
Thanks Stuart, Dave, Mike, Harry!

great Stage 2 ground school - hit the mark where I needed it

ruffino
29th Jul 2007, 22:15
Sitting my next 4 exams beginning of aug and i'm feeling confident!
got told to shut up in class for shouting out too many right answers, give the other guys a chance i was told!!!

bring on the exams!!!;)

Pilot_in_the_making
30th Jul 2007, 01:47
Phoned around several schools and I really wanted to go to Bristal, but due to commitments at home I had to find one within commuting distance when it came to the brush up sessions, which really narrowed it down to two schools that I thought I would visit before making my decision, Oxford and CATS.

I really didn't like the atmosphere of the place at Oxford (sorry to anybody who is studying or has studied there), I can see the appeal of it to some people but all the people I met there seem a bit stuck up and it really didn't suit me (maybe I was just unlucky and met the wrong people that day). I've also been told that Oxford is severly over-rated by several instructors (I believe that one of them studied there too).

Was very, very impressed with CATS when I paid them a visit. A very small outfit, but the people are first class. Spoke to Stewart who showed so much enthusiasm and interest in what I had to say. Gave me a comprehensive tour of their facilities, and took the time to show me the notes and give me a demonstration the online study system and answer my many questions.

I was then led into a classroom and was left alone to talk to a current student there. His advice was ''you won't go wrong if you come here, they are very good. Just for God's sake don't go to Cabair next door, go anywhere but there!!!''. Apparently he had a bad experience at Cabair, but that's another story.

Just started their distance learning course about a week ago and I'm very impressed so far. Online system is easy to use and the notes in my humble opinion are very good and easy to understand.

I would highly recommend them from what I've seen so far. We shall see what happens when I go in for the brush up sessions! :ok:

hpcock
30th Jul 2007, 05:05
Can anyone tell me if the rumour is true. Been told that CATS question bank is now the same as bristol gs

When I was at CATS some years back, the qu. bank that was provided to us was far better than the equivalent BGS one I had. Infact, CATS had a lot more "real" qu's than BGS @ the time.

Turbine King
2nd Aug 2007, 16:33
Hi HP,

Mind if I ask who you are flying with and did CATS help you get in?

Rumour at school is that you're in India and was wondering how easy it is to get over there

hpcock
4th Aug 2007, 03:41
Hi Turbine King

Looks like a rumour that's come true - yes I am flying in India. Currently flying for Kingfisher Airlines on their Airbus A319/20/21 fleet. I was introduced to a number of UK based pilots by Stuart who used to work with CATS regularly. They in turn put me in touch with the right people to contact in India. So i suppose it was Stuart & CATS that got me into where I am right now. I in turn, have repaid my gratitude by also helping another ex CATS student who is now very close to finishing all his stuff in India, & landing a jet job.

There are a lot of opportunities for pilots in India at the moment. Ideally you need to be in one of two brackets. 1st - You either need to be an Indian or of Indian origin to qualify as an F/O. 2nd - Need to hold a current TR to join as an expat F/O.

The flying is a bit more challenging than what I was used to in the UK, but not to tough. However, the amount of flying being done on a monthly basis is tough. Don't expect to see anything less than 85-90 hrs on your monthly roster, sometimes upto 120hrs!!!

On a different note - its funny how aviation is such a small world. Having left CATS some yrs ago, and whilst in Toulouse doing my TR on the Airbus, I came across a number of TRE's/TRI's who knew about CATS, Stuart & the generally good reputation that follows its students. It's still nice to know that a the choice of groundschool made a long time ago was recognised at a different level, by some thoroughly professional & experienced folks.

Many thanks CATS - keep up the good work, & good luck to everyone studying there at present - not that you'll need it.

Turbine King
10th Aug 2007, 11:38
That's fantastic HP

I've just taken Stage 2 exams and they were a walk in the park
Felt like an anticlimax seeing so many questions come up and all the examiners tricks we were warned about

Once again I'm languishing around before starting the next stage - finding it so hard to start studying again before my results come out

hpcock
11th Aug 2007, 17:00
I've just taken Stage 2 exams and they were a walk in the park
Felt like an anticlimax seeing so many questions come up and all the examiners tricks we were warned about

I remember that feeling quite vividly - especially with Rnav, Gnav, PoF & ALaw. Stuart & the team must have it sewn up by now & the current crop must be pretty good at it these days.

What's the pass rate like now? It used to be in the 90's consistently when I was there.

Dash Decent
14th Aug 2007, 15:39
About £20 - £25 per night includes breakfast and evening meal in Cranfield

XL319
14th Aug 2007, 16:16
Doing their online course at the moment. Looks good value for money

coodem
16th Aug 2007, 13:06
Anyone out there starting the full time course (6 months) on the 8th October? I dont think its gonna be a big class

Turbine King
16th Aug 2007, 20:35
Sounds amazing HP
When are you next back in UK and do you still visit CATS?

hpcock
17th Aug 2007, 11:07
Thanks Turbine King

It's a lot of fun - especially flying in a new country.

I should be back in the UK around Xmas, or Jan '08. I will make a point to visit CATS, to see whats been happening at the school. Sounds like a lots been going on since I left. Would really like to see the on-line course in detail. It looks like really good value and seems to be getting good reviews.

I'll be sure to look you up when I'm over next time. Good luck with your next stage. Judging from your previous mail, you've probably done well on your last set of exams. Do let us know how you got on.

All the best
HPC

Turbine King
24th Aug 2007, 20:37
Got them all!

Gonna be some weekend partying :)

mra2z
12th Sep 2007, 13:46
Well done TK. See you up there mate.

Firestarter7
15th Sep 2007, 11:31
I'd like to join up with some of you guys as Ive heard about some of your trips that you have ben flying on

Anyone like to pm me

I live in Milton Keynes and am on Stage 2 ATPL online

FS

planeeasy7
18th Sep 2007, 15:32
Im there now and hour building and if you want to come along get in touch

We either practice CPL routes or go to places like Kemble, Conington, Gloucester, Wellesbourne Mountford

Firestarter7
28th Sep 2007, 21:30
how have the Stage 2 exams been going?

high-hopes
30th Sep 2007, 10:52
Just noticed the CATS distance learning package costs £ 999

http://www.cranfieldaviation.com/uk/index.html

Anyone who's been through it care to comment on it ?

How come there's such a huge difference in prices from one FTO to another ?

regards,

dom462
30th Sep 2007, 16:22
How come there's such a huge difference in prices from one FTO to another ?

It's because there are no books included in that price. All of the material is online. You can purchase the books at an additional cost though.

It seems a good place with good pass rates. Also the structure is slightly different with it being broken into three stages followed by a one week revision course, instead of two stages followed by a two week revision course. To me, this is easier if you have to take time off work.

Firestarter7
5th Oct 2007, 00:49
The course is well-structured into three stages
With one or two difficult subjects per stage

The study guides are online
Just click on their demo for the first subject

So far i've done stage 1 and 2 with no real problems
the Question Bank is FREE and has extra questions in it which test your understanding as you do each topic

so i should be finishing this year after about 10 months study time including time off for exams

i've saved about £1000 if i pass my last stage o.k.

The school itself is in Cranfield, U.K.

FS

miket_68
5th Oct 2007, 12:51
Hi, Looking for an average time scale for completion of all the exams using their Online DL.

How many exams do you sit per sitting ?

ANyone done the Heli side yet or are you all going to fly Fixed wings ?

Mike

Turbine King
13th Oct 2007, 11:46
You can print out anything

In practice we don't though

just the odd pages where I got stuck

PLUS my brother did course years back and I had his brain and notes too

Im about to start CPL / IR now but need to hour build a bit more in this great weather

bluenose81huskys
13th Oct 2007, 12:09
What is the best way of learning for these exams, any tips anyone?????

Cause the study guides seem hard to sink in!

I dont want too just rely on questions like the ppl confuser or is this the best way.

Do CATS give you up to date questions in their banks as I have heard Bristol GS do?

Thanks

arara
13th Oct 2007, 19:12
anybody starting the course on the second week of January ?

bluenose81huskys
13th Oct 2007, 22:09
Hi, I might just well be, will be then or month after cause of christmas etc - will see what my funds are like!

You fancy starting then!

Snowiey
14th Oct 2007, 21:53
I'm planning to start the classroom based ATPL course at CATS in January. Hopefully find somewhere nearby to live.

Jon

arara
14th Oct 2007, 22:54
will be together in the class then,did u make any reservations for your room

Snowiey
15th Oct 2007, 19:52
No, nothing reserved yet, CATS sent me a list of places in Cranfield. I am planning on having a drive over in the next couple of weeks and seeing what the rooms / flats are like and maybe putting down a deposit.
Ideally would like to stay on site and not bother with the hassle of Landlords, broken boilers, commuting and utility bills! From what I gathered over the telephone with CATS on site accom. isnt available. Unless you know different?

Regards Jon.

gmac1977
23rd Oct 2007, 09:42
Just like to say a big thanks to Stuart Smith and his expert team.

Got my results for my last set of exams.

All passed with over 90%!

Online system is great. Those who doubt it must think twice.

Happy days!:D

bluenose81huskys
23rd Oct 2007, 10:25
Congrats G Mac,:D

You can now go and enjoy the practical bit and enjoy flying.

Hopefully in 2 years I can say the same

Turbine King
28th Oct 2007, 15:45
"What is the best way of learning for these exams, any tips anyone?????"

Read the online study guides a few sections at a time
Take note of the yellow key fact boxes

Practice in the electronic Key Facts area

Then hit the specific Subject based questions

Make a note of those you get wrong
Most have handy explanations which you can print off

When you are getting high marks, do the Progress Tests online
and again re-study any weak areas

The second time you read the online study guides it becomes easier as you see where questions have been highlighted

They are updating questions and study guides daily

and lastly it big-time worked for us :D

Dash Decent
31st Oct 2007, 10:22
I did the CATS PPL online and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Had access to ATPL online too and was very useful as a reference when studying the PPL. Just get on the demo for ATPL if that what you want.

I've just started the online ATPL now and all the subjects are laid out before me

But it's nicely staged into three groups

Reckon I'll have Stage one in the bag soon

Turbine King
6th Nov 2007, 07:53
dr Pep

You'll be fine with CATS online

but if you can't study at home in house is your next option

gmac1977
6th Nov 2007, 20:12
DRpep

The CATS online study guides are great value.No one else has them as far as i know. Found them to be very staright forward. Its like anything, if you have a genuine interest in a particular topic you find it alot easier to digest.

Out of all the subjects, AGK, MET were my Favourites. Different for everyone i suppose.

Waste no time, get online! (did that ryhme!!):p

hst145
13th Nov 2007, 09:13
is the course only online?

gmac1977
13th Nov 2007, 09:55
Hst145,

There are 3 different mediums. Online for £999, Online & traditional hard copy's for £1499 or In-house for £2499.

I did mine all online. Some preferred to pay the extra for the hard copy books but i didnt need them.

Go get em!!!:ok:

aircraftmick
14th Nov 2007, 19:45
Starting ATPL ground school at CATS on 7th Jan.Can anyone recommend
accommodation.
Cheers.

aircraftmick
17th Nov 2007, 12:22
Thanks for that will give her a bell.
Noticed your first post, and your going to do the online course.
How long do you think it will take you to complete the course? and
will you be working as well?

Mick

Turbine King
27th Nov 2007, 08:13
How is everyone and how is the pass rate going

Whats the latst CATS are getting up to?

I've been doing my CPL / IR

TK

looptheloop
27th Nov 2007, 10:57
100% pass rate this month- Thanks to Stuart and all the others. Looking forward to my last stage now.

RoosterBooster
27th Nov 2007, 20:49
I've been told not to bother about using Bristols QB and to just concentrate on CATS QB. I've heard so much about them its hard not to have a peak.

Have any of you used Bristols whilst having access to CATS QB or did you just rely on CATS alone.

Many thanks.

hpcock
29th Nov 2007, 10:58
Rooster

See post no.73 on this link.

I still reckon that CATS qu. bank has always been & will remain the definitive qu. bank for JAA exams.

Good luck with your exams
HPC

gmac1977
29th Nov 2007, 11:56
The fact is the Q's in the CATS question banks are as solid and as reliable as anyones out there.

The real key though is that there is No rip off fee every few months, no book to buy, just good old fashioned FREE!!!!

RoosterBooster
29th Nov 2007, 18:11
Cheers Guys,

I did notice #74 but wanted more recent information.

Sounds like I can save myself a few quid and just use CATS QB.

Thanks once again.

RB

gmac1977
13th Dec 2007, 20:47
evening all.

Just wondered whether anyone fancies flying tomorrow? weather due to be reasonable. cup of tea at kemble perhaps. PM me if interested:)

Turbine King
15th Dec 2007, 11:35
anyone know where drpep got to?

arara
17th Dec 2007, 00:56
hi,i'm coming from overseas for cats in jan,any advicen for apart rental,1 bedroom +lounge, tnx

aircraftmick
18th Dec 2007, 16:43
Hi arara.
I'm starting the atpl groundschool in Jan. No where to stay as yet but will need to get my finger out. Hopefully sort something this week.
I'll pm you if anything comes up.

Mick

gmac1977
18th Dec 2007, 17:39
A/cmick & Arara

Call maria at CATS tomorrow on 01234 757 969. She has a list of local accomodation. Best one is wood farm. No 5 star by any stretch of the imagination but you can't grumble about £12.00 a night (Believe its even cheaper if you stay long term) A few other full timers stay there so you wont be on your own. All the best with the course. Instruction is spot on. Esp the legend Stuart Smith

planeeasy7
9th Jan 2008, 17:21
Where do CATS students go for Flight training?

Greg2041
10th Jan 2008, 10:53
I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere..............

Firestarter7
11th Jan 2008, 09:39
Some routes CATS students have taken recently:

CATS - Bonus - Easy Jet
CATS - PAT - Monarch
CATS - PAT - Globespan
CATS - Bristol Flight Centre - Ryanair
CATS - Bonus / Bristol Flight Centre - BA Regional
CATS - Billings Air Services - BA Mainline
CATS - Ravenair - Ryanair
CATS - Ravenair - Eastern

thats all I know from stuff going on up there

gmac1977
11th Jan 2008, 15:19
Did my ATPL with CATS. I'm going to be doing my CPL/IR at PFT Bournemouth. I was there last weekend on their open day. Very impressed.

Did a couple of circuits on their 737 simulator. Fantastic day out!

Electricflyer
5th Feb 2008, 12:34
Maybe a bizarre question, but if you pay for the CATS online course, do you have access to the online study guides forever, eg. if you want to refer to them in the future long after the exams??:)
Thanks , Electricflyer

Irish_Stu
5th Feb 2008, 17:40
I see it says on the website "We offer you an allowance of 18 months to complete your training"

Not sure whether that means your access runs out after then or what....

Stu

Firestarter7
8th Feb 2008, 12:45
The online course is available for 18 months
so get printing!

moona
15th Feb 2008, 20:38
Anyone doing stage 3 groundschool next week?

I found a great bit of software for anyone doing the online course. It records any web browsing you do so you can browse it again offline without being connected to the Internet. Means I can revise on the train on the way to work etc.

http://www.proxy-offline-browser.com/

beprest
22nd Feb 2008, 11:18
I'm at Stage 3 Ground school at CATS and I've been amazed at what goes on up here.

Mike Burton is a wealth of information and has taken us all this week. I have only just found out about all the books that he has written and Stuart is fuelled on some energy from somewhere I don't know!
They did a livelink lecture to their Australian partners one morning on Grid Navigation and that was before we even woke up.

We had a lecture from a Commercial Flight school linked with CATS, a great lecture on FMS and I understand gyroscopes at last.

Then the pass rate came in at 93% and Stuart was upset it seemed. I'll be only to glad to score that and I believe I will.

What a great place!

mattia_70
6th Mar 2008, 16:19
Hi,
can anybody please tell me if the books for ATPL Distance Learning that CATS provide (at 500£) are just a print-out of the on-line notes or if there is more in them?

Thanks

moona
7th Mar 2008, 13:29
Pretty much exactly the same as the online study guides but with the Test questions at the end of each chapter rather than in a separate section.

madlot
7th Mar 2008, 21:19
Do I take it that you can start studying CATS at any stage in the cycle, ie stage 3 first rather than stage 1, depending on which month you want to start in ?

MRSUMANTRAUNDAL
8th Apr 2008, 11:12
Yes, you can start at any time with any stage 1,2 or 3
Depending upon your own interest the instructors will help you in selecting the subjects.:)

moona
8th Apr 2008, 11:25
Certainly helped me out I did Stage1 then Stage3 and currently studying stage 2.

I would take a look at the ground school dates and plan your study schedule backwards from the relevant dates.

Of cours me being scared of GNAV might have had something to do with the order I chose ;-)

rziola
8th Apr 2008, 13:22
Just as a ball park figure, how many hours on each of the modules do you study per week? I am aware it depends on the individual, but I would be interested to know a ball park figure.

Richard

coodem
8th Apr 2008, 14:48
I did between 50-60 hours a week FT. And its taken 4/5 months to complete.
I would say 1200 hours total, broken up as follows, this includes revision as well.

IFR 10
VFR 10
HPL 65
OPS 70
AL 80
MET 160
GNAV 120
FP 80
POF 120
PERF 90
M&B 80
RNAV 65
Inst 75
AGK AF 75

sion22
10th Apr 2008, 16:31
Thank you Stuart
Today felt like at last I really have the confidence to fly after those many hours elsewhere

Don't stop what you are doing its great

mattia_70
14th Apr 2008, 00:22
Hi everybody,

at CATS (and in general DL ATPL) is it possible to sit all ATPL exams in one week? This would reduce my time off work from 6 weeks (3 brush ups + 3 weeks for exams as stated by CATS) to 4 (3 brush ups + 1 week for exams)?

Thank you

coodem
14th Apr 2008, 06:47
I don't see why not. But 14 exams in 1 week is going to be hard. Not heard of many doing it. Unless they are converting, in which case they will know most of the sylabus already

Greg2041
14th Apr 2008, 10:02
Hi mattia_70,

I see from a later post that you are looking to hours build in the US. It would be worth discussing this with CATS as they have some good links abroad. As for 14 ATPL exams in a week - no idea - but good luck!

mau mau
15th Apr 2008, 22:21
In italy everybody goes 14 exams in 1 week. Normal procedure.
Often must resit 1 or 2 topics.

Daniel777
17th Apr 2008, 18:24
Hi Guys and Girls,

Im just planning to start my ATPL by distance learning and really considering choosing CATS.
Are there high chances of getting an first officer job after completing the ATPL with CATS and doing the flight training somewhere else in the UK?
Since I heard that many airlines prefer students from integrated courses or only ones who completed everything in one school such as Oxford....
Any experiences?

Thanks

sion22
23rd Apr 2008, 08:56
You're basically saving some money on the ATPLs which equates to 10 h on the hour building
The integrated versus modular route has been discussed elsewhere on these forums but I don't have heaps of money and at the end I shall do the flight instructor route at CATS then deal with the airline bit with hours under my belt in a couple of years
If its integrated you want then CATS provide the material to WAAC so you can have both but you have to up sticks to Australia for a year
As for airline job at end, I see CATS students filtering in every couple of weeks to tell their airline tales which is a considerably positive point about the set-up

zapoi67
24th Apr 2008, 11:04
Does one need to already hold a PPL in order to start studying distance-learning ATPL at CATS' ?

coodem
24th Apr 2008, 11:10
You will need a PPL to officially enroll, but nothing stopping you from starting to study already and get a head start.

Rugbyears
24th Apr 2008, 16:46
Yeah, but how do you get the study material without enroling..?

coodem
24th Apr 2008, 17:16
I suggest you call CATs, I can't see a problem pre-registering, getting onto the system, then when you have your PPL, complete it.

I can't talk on their behalf, but I would not have thought it would have been a problem.

You could also just purchase the books for now, but thats an extra £500.

Have you started your PPL yet, if so how long have you got to go?

gmac1977
24th Apr 2008, 17:28
Hi Fellas

You can purchase the ATPL study material at any time. It is classed as pre reading however you will need a PPL before sitting any exams.

CATS course is £999. Includes everything you need except exam fees:ok:

Rugbyears
24th Apr 2008, 20:20
Coodem – After much deliberating I decided to finally signup with BGS. I spoke with several of the schools and assessed which would best accommodate my individual needs. Eventually, I enrolled for the whole of module one, thereafter, I will re-evaluate what my requirements are prior to initiating module 2.

For those of you who intend pre-study of ATPL material, I would suggest the idea of purchasing used material as I have. Mainly to introduce the topics at a basic standard level.

moona
25th Apr 2008, 10:48
I've got the whole set of Oxford manuals (2003 I think) ideal for this purpose. If anyones interested PM me.

sion22
8th May 2008, 07:21
yes gmac
i got the whole course too for £999 but as part of a PPL completion package

Alex Whittingham
8th May 2008, 07:59
Not true, I'm afraid, gmac. You need to hold an ICAO PPL before you can start the ATPL course.

youngskywalker
8th May 2008, 09:46
Apologies for thread creep here but some of you here will know if this rumour is true or not: I heard that the method for taking the ATPL exams was to change next year, computer based exam tests with instant results similar to the FAA and taken in house during the groundschool course? Is this true? Sounds like quite a helpful improvement if so.

coodem
8th May 2008, 16:43
why not purchase a 2nd hand copy of the notes, I'm sure there are loads of people who want to get rid of theirs, as they take up a lot of space. I have a set of CATs, PM me for more info

UAV689
8th May 2008, 17:54
i signed up with cats in the last couple of weeks and think the notes are brilliant, i was a bit dubious about online only, but the notes are so concise. I suggest you complete the whole of the free online HPL demo version to see how you get on.

i purchased a second hand set of notes and they are immense, to big/wordy etc.

so far happy with the cats course.

UAV689
9th May 2008, 14:14
The notes i have read so far are extremly to the point with limited waffle and background info - indeed at some places it is to brief, hence the reasoning behind getting a second hand set of notes - you can get a second hand set of notes, pay the CATS online course and still save money.

This way you get 2 methods of instruction which can only beniefit your learning by having 2 view points to learn from.

sion22
9th May 2008, 19:51
CATS have got the most up to date study guides going!

looptheloop
24th May 2008, 10:25
Got my last exam results yesterday, passed everything. Yep, even GNAV!! Just wanted to say a big thankyou to everyone at CATs especially Stuart and Mike Burton for helping me get all first time passes and scores i am proud of. Thankyou!

moona
24th May 2008, 14:31
Congrats Looptheloop, I've got my last 5 in a couple of weeks time including GNav :-s so fingers crossed.

sion22
15th Jun 2008, 10:41
well done loop

ir or cpl now?

Dash Decent
19th Jun 2008, 07:41
I liked CATS Stage 2 POF, PERF, GNAV, FP and MB
There has been some high GNAV passes recently there
It is the subject that took longer to understand for me but was very interesting and rewarding when the answers came out right :ugh:
Ive finished Stage 3 which was quicker and perhaps easier and am now waiting for my results. Simulator is waiting for me if Ive passsed!

gmac1977
19th Jun 2008, 17:56
Good luck Dash.

You following the usual cats route down to Bmouth? IR or CPL 1st?

redlandr22
22nd Jun 2008, 17:07
Just completed a week with CATs on the weeks groundschool (ATPL A ) brush up prior to exams - happy to provide feedback, by PM would be best.

Dash Decent
11th Jul 2008, 13:16
Ground school has been great!

Yes I'm at Bournemouth now gmac with PFT doing IR first
Your tips were good thank you

DD

RIX BT
14th Jul 2008, 09:16
May be somebody can help. I have a question:
If you are landing on aerodrome, where you can expect very cold weather(approx -20 degrees by celsius), what calculations and corrections you have to do? I think, I have to calculate current density altitude.

sion22
16th Jul 2008, 07:07
Not sure if this will work:

3.4.1 Density altitudeWith the initial data from ISA you can define a density which corresponds to the density at sea level, - density altitude 0ft. Now suppose that the actual air pressure decreases and/or the temperature increases. The result will be that density decreases. The new value of density corresponds to a higher altitude in the standard case (i.e. in ISA) and we refer to this as a higher density altitude.Decreasing density implies higher density altitude
Increasing density implies lower density altitudeOn a warm summer day an airport at sea level can have the same density altitude as that of an airport at an higher altitude at normal temperature.Density altitude is the altitude in the standard atmosphere where the density has the same value as the one that actually prevails around the aircraftA 1°C change in the ISA temperature will modify the density altitude by 120'.http://www.catsground.com/2/images/db/guides/attachments/guide_att_id_16102.jpg
Figure 3.3

Density altitude changes by 120 feet per 1oC deviation from ISA at the actual levelProblems arise at extremely high-density altitudes, since much of the performance characteristics of an aeroplane depend on the dynamic pressure of the air. This in turn is a function of 1/2 ρV2. The lower density will give less lift to the wing. The thrust decreases since the engines consume less air (density = kg / m3). A propeller gets less grip in the thinner air. The effects of the thinner air on the airspeed indicator are not apparent since the aircraft behaves as it should, i.e. it takes off at the normal indicated speed etc. But the actual speed relative to the air (true airspeed) must increase when density decreases to give the same indicated airspeed. The result is that a higher density altitude extends the take-off run and gives a more shallow climbing profile. It will also require an extension of the landing run as the true landing speed will be higher in order to give the same IAS.

bluenose81huskys
17th Jul 2008, 21:34
Just wondering, what is the so called "question bank"

On the CATS online course, I just had a look on the Demo and was wondering?!?!?!:confused:

Could anyone please clarify is the QB "quick questions" or????????

Or when you actually take out the online course does it say "Question Bank"

Thanks

steggers
22nd Jul 2008, 09:58
I'm starting CATS full-time in house on 15th September, is anyone else starting on the same course?

sihancock
27th Jul 2008, 15:38
I'm booked in for the september groundschool, still got about 15 hours of my ppl to finish off before that - hoping for a run of good weather!

I'm going to be staying at wood farm which they reccomended, anyone stayed / staying there?

XL319
27th Jul 2008, 17:32
I'm there on the 22-25 Sept - exams at shuttleworth 7-9 oct

P.s. Bluenose - they have a range of QB's from Key facts to exam based questions

stiknruda
31st Jul 2008, 08:40
I have been a distance learning CATS stude.

On the positive side, it took me 6 months to pass all the exams, all results in the 90's, two re-sits which were fundamentally my poor preparation - so no probs with either the coursework or groundschool.

Would I recommend them. Definitely NOT.

Shambolic, hap-hazard, very hard to communicate with and I continually felt that I was not a customer but an inconvenience. I disliked the HOT's sneering supercilliousness intensely and was annoyed that he spent so much time teaching us by rote, subjects that admittedly were on the syllabus, have never appeared as exam questions.

At LGW, I met other studes, who seemed better prepared by their respective schools - Bournemouth & Bristol.

I'm not bitter, I paid £999 and I've passed. I do know that the experience could have been more enjoyable had I been treated like an adult - and even over 40, I was amongst the youngest on my ground school days!!

Stik

steggers
31st Jul 2008, 08:57
XL319, just out of interest you don't work for XL Airways at the moment do you? It's just a complete stab in the dark!!!!

irishpost
1st Aug 2008, 20:26
Having problem accessing overview lectures
do we need flash player for them?

ps thanks stuart and co. its a great system at a great price!

sion22
7th Aug 2008, 21:59
the Overview lecture bit is a new section of the web based training and they have only loaded up stage 2 to this date
You cannot even find it on the HPL demo since HPL is a Stage 1 subject
Ive been told the rest are coming soon.....

bluenose81huskys
9th Aug 2008, 01:17
Thats me just started at CATS DL course, registered online and 2 hours later my password has come through!!!

Here we go - Heads Down!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dash Decent
10th Aug 2008, 10:31
I like it!
Overview Lectures Online ... what next
take the exams for us!

Keep up the good ideas
I will be up in a week or two
IR test to pass :eek:

DD

irishpost
12th Nov 2008, 09:04
The Overview Lectures are very good and can't wait to see more on ....

however they are not working with the recently released Flash 10 player

anyone know an easy way round this?

CATS Support
14th Nov 2008, 12:03
Hi irishpost,

Just to let you know we've updated the Overview Lectures. We're constantly releasing more and they're now all compatible with Flash Player 10.

Like to keep things fresh.

Regards,
CATS Support

sion22
19th Nov 2008, 07:03
results anyone?

muppet
23rd Nov 2008, 11:26
Anyone done the ppl/ATPL course ?

Greg2041
23rd Nov 2008, 14:45
Going slowly on the PPL/ATPL. 3 hours so far but that has been down to ill health in the family etc!!!

Greg

amritkalsi
25th Nov 2008, 21:19
I did my PPL at cats and I really enjoyed it. I had A class training and because of that I got my PPL at 45 hours and the ATPL training is out of this world!! The instructors make time for you. I will be sitting my 7 ATPL exams on DEC 08.

sion22
29th Nov 2008, 07:02
I've passed 9 out of 9 there on two visits to the shuttleworth exam centre. What I thought I was going to be the hardest I have actually found the most enjoyable namely Met and Gnav.

well done Dash on your IR!

Ronnie1982
29th Nov 2008, 07:16
Is there anyone on a Cabair integrated course at the moment? If so, can you tell us how many people there on the most recent courses?

Thanks

dwshimoda
29th Nov 2008, 08:11
Is there anyone on a Cabair integrated course at the moment? If so, can you tell us how many people there on the most recent courses?

You'd be better asking that on one of the many Cabair threads - this thread is for CATS, who don't do integrated courses.

Ronnie1982
2nd Dec 2008, 16:34
Sorry; wrong thread! :\

sion22
2nd Dec 2008, 22:40
CATS has about 8-10 on its in-house courses
I'm too busy working so on distance learning but pop in regular and get all the help I need
the experience has been very good and i have already recommended them having being recommended to go there myself
you get Mike's old wise head and Stuart's young dynamic style with a Professor who taught me Mass Balance and another Doctor on the instructor list. These people at first seem larger than life but are actually very personable and have made my studies relatively easy :ok:

it has been a very economic way of getting my ATPL in these tight times

hst145
8th Dec 2008, 20:55
I did it!!!!!!

Full time job, new baby in family and all 14 exams passed in high 90's
thank you CATS, Doc Dave and Stuart, Prof Bill and Mike :D

JD

sion22
13th Dec 2008, 07:59
any news on HPL overview lecture yet?

21st Feb 2009, 09:55
AM currently reviewing groundschools and CATS is one of choices I have a question about there documentation. Basically is it worth spending £600 on their manuals or would it be better to get OA media manuals instead. Another option would be to pick up some BGS manuals on Ebay. I am not worried about the cost aspect but want to make sure I have the best material for the job.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

sion22
21st Feb 2009, 12:03
The Study Guides are online and you can see the HPL one on the free demo
The printed study guide is just the same but does have questions and answers at the end of chapters and Learning Objectives at the start

Personally I saved the money for flying and just bought the online course

If you want a nice set for the shelf I'll give them that though

PA28Viking
22nd Feb 2009, 10:25
As said by sion22 the on-line and printed versions of the CATS training material are basically the same. For me personally, I found it at problem navigating the study guides online after I had read it ones. So I printed most of it at the expense of my current employer (yes I’m fortunate). It’s really a lot of paper.

Try the demo on HPL, and see how it suits you. I also used a proxy server program MM3-WebAssistant - Proxy Offline Browser - Archiving by Browsing (http://www.proxy-offline-browser.com/) so I could access the material off-line.

By chance I came to get the whole Jeppesen ATPL series on .pdf files, and printed them too. Maybe it was overkill but occasionally very beneficial to have more than one version of the truth.

Regarding the overview lessons they were not generally available at the time, but the ones published I liked.

I also found the CATS question bank adequate, and I never used money for the Bristol Question Bank (which everybody else I meet had done). Especially I used the possibility of asking for explanation to questions I didn’t understand. Normally I received an answer from CATS within hours, also late at night. If I missed anything it was a running count of the success rate in the quick questions, but then I just kept score myself.

One advice about Distant Learning and CATS, though. With DL it is very much up to you. You will only get help if you ask. Don’t go to the brush-up weeks if you are not reasonable prepared. And don’t expect CATS (or any other school) to save you and make the syllabus a walk in the park in 3 times one week.

That said I found the CATS brush-up weeks were substandard, but when you go back and have a look at the price you pay, what can you expect? And actually I don’t know the standard in the industry.

All in all it worked for me, but again your own effort is 99 % of the equation.

lolopilot
22nd Feb 2009, 16:10
I am currently in Dallas, and considering CATS via Skymates online ATPL course. I remember that some previous posts mentioned a possible exam venue in Texas. If anyone has any info regarding an exam venue that can be used for the JAA ATPL exams via Skymates in the US, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Lolo

22nd Feb 2009, 19:03
Thanks both for advice on CATS, I dont suppose you still have Jeppeson PDF's? ;-)

As I spens time travelling with work I would like paper notes as by the time I get laptop out on plane half the flight is gone.

I fully agree that it is about dedication and I certainly wouldnt expect to wlak through these without a lot of effort.

Thanks again

Berimbau
17th Apr 2009, 00:15
Hey!

I have a few questions about CATS.
I already have a PPL(A) and therefore a Class 2 Medical Examination Certificate. To make the ATPL(A) theory ( or at least to enrole ) is the Class 2 Examination enough? Or is the Class 1 needed?
I read somewhere that before attending the CAA examinations I have to go through a week of ground school at CATS. In what does this ground school consist? Does it match the exam period of CAA or it can be done weeks before the examinations at CAA? For example: can I do ground school of a certain group of subdjects in august and perform the examinations in september?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

PA28Viking
17th Apr 2009, 05:24
You do not need a class 1 medical to start ATPL ground school, but it is generally recommended to get it over with before you waist to much money on training.

There are 14 ATPL subjects. CATS have divided this into three modules (other schools only spilt into two modules). Before you take the 3-5 exams in a module, you go to the brush up week related to that module. So you go to CATS three times. Other schools have 2 x 2 weeks.

You decide your self how soon after the brush up week you want to take the exams. Theoretically you could wait and do all exams after the last visit to CATS, but I don’t think anybody would recommend that. The brush up weeks are timed in the third week of the month, so you can plan to do the related exams in the first week of the following month. The modules rotate, so that each module brush up week is repeated every third month. You can do them in any order you like. Not necessarily 1 – 2 – 3. And you have 18 month to get it done, so you make you own schedule. It’s all up to you.

You find all the information about the brush-up and exam schedules etc. on the CATS web site, if you log on with their demo user.

Berimbau
17th Apr 2009, 09:00
Thank you PA28Viking!:)

FLT86
30th Apr 2009, 17:51
Hello every one,

I'd like to start my ATPL with Skymates located in Texas but with JAA courses.
For the theory, CATS provides training for the ATPL to Skymates' students.

Do you advise me to go there and to use CATS theory for the ATPL ?
How long time did you take to get your 14 exams with CATS in distance learning How is it with CATS's Manuals ? Teachers are available ? Is it a good quality training ?

Thank you for your help !

matty31
30th Apr 2009, 19:35
FLT86

I'm currently here in Texas doing some flying and helping to set up the JAA training.

Whilst I can't offer you a completely unbiased view I can say that the facilities here seem great the planes are well equipped and well maintained!

There are currently 3 instructors from the UK teaching the first ground-school and there are plans to offer an in house course later in the year.

If you need any further info PM me.

Matt:ok:

Dane-Ger
30th Apr 2009, 20:12
Hi Matt

Good to see things are getting bigger and better at CATS. Sounds like an exciting project out there in Texas.

My regards to Stuart and the rest of the team.

D-G

matty31
30th Apr 2009, 21:26
Yeah great place and lovely team of people might even come back here to instruct:ok: Been doing some multi hours can't get over the fact you can fly so cheaply and things like approaches are free!!!!

Hows you're training going since the wonderful world of Cranfield international airport.....???

Matt

FLT86
30th Apr 2009, 21:38
Matt,

I sent you a PM.

See you !

Pitch+Power
1st May 2009, 07:07
ALL DONE...!

That's me finished.... first time passes, good average, full time job and new baby...!

Thanks to everyone at CATS... especially to Stuart and Mıke - natural teachers..!

see you all around :ok:

matty31
1st May 2009, 21:24
Great news great pass rate this month!!

:):):):):):):):)

colette
1st May 2009, 23:30
Hey guys, Ive got a brush up at cats coming up and wondered if anyone had any recommendations on the accomodation from the list on the website? Also was looking for the rough distance from the B&Bs to the airport ie. within walking distance, time each morning etc.

Any help/recommendations greatly appreciated!

C

PintofT
20th Jul 2009, 13:59
I've recently started studying CATS module 1 and have booked myself in for the brush-up on the 21st of September. It's fair to say that I was a little shocked to see that 4 of the 5 exams (if taken in October) are on the same day! :eek:

For those who are further down the line than me, did you have the same issue or did you spread the exams over two months?

Perhaps I should just toughen up.......

Thanks.

colette
20th Jul 2009, 14:12
Hey PintofT,

Im sure there actually 6 exams in mod 1?
4 exams in one day does sound tough but yes thats what most people are doing! Once you get right into the study though you'll see that two of the exams are VFR comms and IFR comms, which arent really much to worry about and very straightforward if you have a PPL and comfortable with RT anyway. During the week long brush up you only spend about an hour overall going over the two of them combined! The other two exams that day day Air Law and Human Performance, both alot more work than the comms papers but after studying, brush up and plenty of time on question bank and the brush up/progress tests you'll be fine!! :ok:

sion22
20th Jul 2009, 15:22
be careful - it is not best to spread the exams out too much as you only have 6 visits at the exam centre.

A visit is one week of exams, in that visit you can take as many as you are capable of.

CATS split this into three stages i.e. 3 visits
This gives you three spare goes if you fail any

The Thursday day of VCOM, ICOM, AL and HPL is in fact quite an easy day as the exams are not too difficult especially VCOM and ICOM they literally take minutes to do - you can study VCOM and ICOM straight from the online COM Overview lecture

PintofT
20th Jul 2009, 16:59
Thanks Colette & sion22 for your remarks - they're really useful. I suppose I'm just feeling a little daunted given that the brush-up isn't that far off. Time to lock myself in a room , I think.

Cheers.

21st Jul 2009, 06:35
I agree with the comments, 4 in one day is not as bad as it sounds. They actually work out quite nicely in stage 1 as you can focus on Ops on Tuesday, Met on Wednesday and then AL / HPL for Thursday. Comms is not too bad.

Good luck and enjoy the brush up week.

Matt

Trolle
22nd Jul 2009, 11:58
I sat ALL the exams on Monday and Tuesday because I had to travel from abroad and didn't want to have to come back just for a single exam on a Monday.

It is possible and not that stressful if you are prepared.

CATS has always treated me professionally and I expect to pass my ATPL exams with little problems.

As far as where to stay, it has been a while, but I remember staying in a B&B on High Street in Cranfield and there was a bus that went right to the university. Very easy. Short walk to CATS.

skinner421
18th Sep 2009, 11:32
Is it possible to get all the exams done in 3 months?

sion22
21st Sep 2009, 17:03
Possibly - Yes
BUT, It not something you should rush through unless you have loads of previous experience imho

DKL
19th Jan 2010, 19:29
Hi !
Anyone attending the brushup week in February ?
Any tips regarding accomodations in Luton ?
Thanx

fanda78
16th Feb 2010, 21:14
I'm booked for Feb brush up but have bit doubts about MET...:ugh:
CU there then :-)

CATS Support
16th Feb 2010, 21:34
Note to moderator:

Could the thread title be changed to CATS (Luton UK) please to reflect our new headquarters since Nov 2009

sion22
24th Mar 2010, 19:36
Congratulations on your move to Luton!

Much improved

You should get more pics out

Good to see you all there :ok:

Ganzic
25th Apr 2010, 11:36
Going to GS at Luton tomorrow , feel nervous, and unprepared.

Hope I'll be ready for the exams at the end of the week.

GNAV seems to be a bit hard for me.

fanda78
25th Apr 2010, 17:48
I believe that Stuart will help us on this big time...
He is always full of hints and mnemonics to help you remember and understand.
but I share the feeling :-):ok:
CU tmrw

XL319
25th Apr 2010, 21:47
Thats ok, im dreading the stage 2 brush up!!! I'll be there 2moro.

aberdeen_taffy
26th Apr 2010, 15:56
Off to GS soon too! Hope the MET is good cause i am at a loss for some of it!

irishpost
27th Apr 2010, 17:24
So those of you there - how is the new centre??
Who is teaching now?
Everything still good?
It would be nice to see what it looks like

fanda78
27th Apr 2010, 18:00
I believe that some pics has been taken today so I would check CATS website in few days time...

hst145
28th Jun 2011, 12:13
Long time no hear on this

How is CATS doing at Luton?

Lots of students or quiet?

Never did see the new centre pics

stupix
30th Jun 2011, 15:29
I'm just doing my final stage with CATS distance learning, which is stage 2 for me. I have done some of the ground school in Florida which was brilliant and thoroughly recommended.. Final CPL Exams in 10 days, fingers and toes crossed.

Loxpot
1st Jul 2011, 09:01
It looks like things are getting interesting at CATS with a £1999 ATPL Scholarship and flying training soon to be available in Spain. Anyone got any thoughts??

missionpossible
10th Jul 2011, 15:52
Yes Florida is great for both ground and flight