PDA

View Full Version : A319/320 or B737

matblack
7th Sep 2006, 23:33
Is it just me or does the Airbus series seem built down to a price?
As a passenger I actually prefer the cabin design on the A319 but things like the noisy servo motors and flimsy seats set it apart from the 737.
I feel that the 737 has a robust feel which the airbus lacks.
It may also be a coincidence but I tend to feel more light turbulence in the A319 than the 737.
I fly weekly and generally alernate between Ryanair, Easyjet, SAS and BA.
Does anyone feel the same or am I talking jibberish?

Bangkokeasy
8th Sep 2006, 02:59
Since this is the SLF forum, this is from a SLF point of view. The 319 is the smallest of the three types. The current 737-800 is a much larger airplane than the earlier 737-200/300/400, and is larger than even the 320. In this case, particularly with turbulence, size matters! My favourite, however, has to be the 320, which I think is well designed and comfortable for its passengers.

I used to hate the old 737 series, because they lacked bin space (particularly in business) and the way they flew seemed from a passenger perspective to lack directional stability (probably a load of tosh from a pilot's point of view). The newer variants, such as flown by FR, are better, but I still prefer the 320.

I have to say I haven't noticed a difference in servo noise between the types and the seat configuration is up to the individual operator.

TopBunk
8th Sep 2006, 04:17
I hesitate to enter a Boeing vs Airbus debate, but having flown both, here goes....

I would liken Boeings to American cars and Airbus's to European cars - ask me which I think is built down to a price!

The basic 737-400 weighs about 34 tonnes for a 150 seater aircraft, the Airbus A320 about 45 tonnes. This for 2 aircraft equipped with basically the same engine and seating capacity. Why the big difference? The A320 is physically bigger but the fuselage is a relatively light component. The A320 has a mechanised cargo loading system. Larger landing gear. Complies with later regulations. Still a bit of a large weight difference. Might be to do with how ot's engineered.

How are they assembled - piece rate workers in the US?

Re turbulence. Some of what you experience is due to the wing loading. Divide the aircraft weight by the wing area to get that. The lower the loading, the more bumps you will feel. I would guess that the A320 has a higher wing loading and hence less turbulence - having said that, the A319 has the same wing but is lighter, hence suffers more. The A321 definitely rides turbulence like a larger aircraft with its higher wing loading.

Which do I prefer (as a pilot): For fun and 'real' flying the 737. For doing a days work in as relaxing a manner as possible - the Airbus.

Which would I prefer (as a pax): The Airbus for its space.

Note: I speak here about the Classic 737 range.

4000 hrs on 737, 3000 hours on A320 family, more on 747-400.

lexxity
8th Sep 2006, 07:48
I have to agree that the 319 does seem to be incredibly noisy. I flew on my companys first 319 the day after it arrived and it was so loud I couldn't believe it. I actually asked the cabin crew were they always this loud? So for me I prefer the 320 or the 737.

Hampshire Hog
8th Sep 2006, 11:15
I'm surprised about people finding the 319 noisy. I've flown as pax on loads of them and have to say - as a short haul pax - they are my favourite aircraft. I certainly prefer them over the 737, although I haven't flown in a new 737 - only the older, noisier, rather dingy variety.

HH

The late XV105
8th Sep 2006, 13:00
As SLF who regularly flies BA, EZ, and FR I like 737-800 climb performance (it subjectively feels more sprightly than a 320 or 321 though I have no idea if true) but prefer the Airbus from a cabin environment and design perspective - I like the crisp and efficient engineering.

I don't like the aged interior feel of even the new FR 800s but none the less have two minor 319-321 gripes too; the first is the servo/hydraulics noise much mentioned on this site, and the second the buzz-saw scream at t/o power. This is worst in 1A-1C where it propagates through the cabin door jamb as if the door were open.

SXB
8th Sep 2006, 13:14
Top Bunk
Incredibly interesting post - many thanks.

I would liken Boeings to American cars and Airbus's to European cars - ask me which I think is built down to a price!

Actually, I find that disturbing ! Anyone who's ever driven an American car will know that the build quality, when compared to European cars, is absolutely atrocious. Personally I prefer Airbus for short-haul simply because they seem a bit more modern and more, probably deceptively, spacious. For long haul I prefer the 747, it just seems to look and feel like a real aeroplane, that said I don't have anything against the big Airbus models either...

SLF3
9th Sep 2006, 13:34
The bus - quieter, wider, more luggage space, bigger emergency exits: though it does seem a bit flimsy and to make funy noises from time to time.

Out or curiosity, which has the higher dispatch rate and the lower operating costs?

flybywire
9th Sep 2006, 13:47
Is it just me or does the Airbus series seem built down to a price?
As a passenger I actually prefer the cabin design on the A319 but things like the noisy servo motors and flimsy seats set it apart from the 737.
I feel that the 737 has a robust feel which the airbus lacks.
It may also be a coincidence but I tend to feel more light turbulence in the A319 than the 737.
I fly weekly and generally alernate between Ryanair, Easyjet, SAS and BA.
Does anyone feel the same or am I talking jibberish?

No, you're not talking rubbish.

I have worked on both A320family and 737s and I can tell you that the only time in my career I felt air sick was when working at the back of an A321.
Unfortunately the yaw damper of the airbus doesn't do the aircraft any justice. You are literally moved left and right as soon as the aircraft encounters the lightest of bumps. The cracky noise of the plastic moving around (overhead lockers, ceilings etc) isn't very nice too.

The worst I have ever experienced on an airbus was a turbulent flight MXP to FCO on an A330-200. I was sitting in one of the last rows and I could see the lockers literally shaking left and right.......bbbrrrrrr!! Something absolutely normal but jeeeez not very nice. I was going to the Italian CAA to take the final exam to get my licence that day and I almost thought I was making a huge mistake!!;)

The A320/319 is more comfortable for crew and passengers alike, or at least this is what the majority says - I prefer working on the 737. I love the fact that I do not get surprises from my baby boeing, the typical, regular noises that I can always foresee reassure me that everything is ok and in 2and 1/2 years of working on the 737 even the worst of turbulences hasn't produced one sigle screeking noise!!! Plus I like the fact that they're so reliable and incredibly tough. I used to go tech all the time with the airbuses, while in my boeing career it only happened 3 times (2 of which for a bird strike!):uhoh:

FBW:E

PS:to anybody who thinks the A319 is noisy, I'd suggest a trip on a good old 737-200....BA CC used to wear earplugs while trying to prepare for the service in the back galley!!! Those were the days :}