PDA

View Full Version : Alitalia and Connection at Milan

A2QFI
7th Sep 2006, 18:25
Months ago I booked a holiday and the brocure offered a 1030 direct flight with BA, LHR to Bari. Now that the holiday is finalised, apart from a likely time change, I am now flying Alitalia with a change at Milan. Comments I have read re this airline and the connection facilities make me think that the journey will not be the highlight of my holiday! Please may I have comments from anybody who has flown this route and/or with this carrier? I am travelling on 21st September; also how is the check-in shambles at Terminal 3 at the moment? Thanks in advance

Mark Lewis
7th Sep 2006, 21:08
T2 (not T3) was a nightmare when we went through to Catania a few weeks ago, not sure if it has sorted itself out or not though. On the way out our FCO flight was overbooked, so all 6 of us were bumped and put on a later flight. Of course, we were heavily compensated too which was quite nice (more than the value of the flights)

On the return, which was through MXP, we had a heavy delay which meant we missed our connection. Meal vouchers, and an upgrade to Business Class sufficed, and we spent a very comfortable few hours in the business lounge at MXP. MXP itself is fine, but you will have a fair walk between the two piers (Schengen/non Schengen).

The airline operation isnt up to much sadly, however the ground staff we encountered at LHR, FCO, MXP, and CTA were all top notch, and went out of their way to help us at every opportunity, which isnt something you hear too often about AZ. The fact we had 2 smallish children with us probably helped a little bit though!

Final 3 Greens
7th Sep 2006, 21:44
A2QFI

AZ is not the best, but they will get you there.

A2QFI
7th Sep 2006, 22:18
Thanks for the replies so far. I am not actually sure if I am changing at Linate or Malpensa! A forum I have visited is very scathing about Alitalia but as I am short haul I guess I can cope with them if I can cope with Ryanair! I'd still rather be on BA, on balance!

Pax Vobiscum
8th Sep 2006, 14:08
A glance at the Alitalia timetable suggests that it's likely to be via Malpensa and an early start! What you don't want is a transfer from Linate to Malpensa or v.v. which can be a bit of a 'mare.

I agree with F3G's take on Alitalia, but remember the (very) old joke:
"I always wondered why the Pope kisses the ground every time he lands - and then I flew Alitalia ..."

A2QFI
8th Sep 2006, 14:21
Thank you PV, I too thought it was an early start but apparently it is 1040 ex LHR and 1 hr 15 to connect at Malpensa. As I shall be in a group of about 30 pax they might even hold the connection for us. Thanks to all the posts you made! I'd still rather be with BA but the problem with books hols 6 months in advance is that the travel plans are sometimes changed. Last time I went to Italy my flight was brought forward 6 hours which wasn't very convenient. The people I travel with have the right to change your flight by +/- 12 hours and change your London airport without any comeback - take it or leave it!

flybywire
9th Sep 2006, 14:07
Months ago I booked a holiday and the brocure offered a 1030 direct flight with BA, LHR to Bari. Now that the holiday is finalised, apart from a likely time change, I am now flying Alitalia with a change at Milan. Comments I have read re this airline and the connection facilities make me think that the journey will not be the highlight of my holiday! Please may I have comments from anybody who has flown this route and/or with this carrier? I am travelling on 21st September; also how is the check-in shambles at Terminal 3 at the moment? Thanks in advance

Hello!
You'll check in at T2 (and not T3). I'd suggest you went there a bit early (about 2hrs-90mins before the flight). There's a Rome flight leaving at that time and the check-in is for both flights. However the worst part of T2 is the queue at security, so make sure you go straight to the first floor and proceed through security as soon as you get your boarding passes.

I think MXP is a great airport for connections: very easy. You'll land at the "ZONE B" (International) and will have to screen your bags again on the ground floor (transits) and then go upstairs and show your passport to get to "ZONE A" (Domestic/Schengen). I'd suggest that if you find that the queue is too long (rarely, but they're expanding the airport so there're lots of works going on) and if you have sufficient time, you could clear customs and go to the 2nd floor, and go through security as if you had started your journey at MXP. It works for me, everytime.

By the way BA do not fly to BRI from LHR but we do fly from LGW. It is a very convenient flight and it's also cheaper than AZ, so I wonder why they booked you on AZ???

Anyway, I hope you'll have a great holiday, and do not worry: MXP is NOTHING like LHR.....everything will be fine!! Buon Viaggio :ok:

FBW:)

flybywire
9th Sep 2006, 14:14
"I always wondered why the Pope kisses the ground every time he lands - and then I flew Alitalia ..."

Hahahaha!!! Very funny :E:E:E

However AZ crew (and I speak for CC) and other Italian airlines crew go through one of the best trainings in the world, they all hold a CAA licence and despite they might not have the best customer service skills in the world their technical preparation is outstanding, something that UK airlines can only dream about!!!!

So A2QFI Please do not worry about it :ok: and enjoy the ride....it might be a fast one though, as I said in another discussion....and be prepared for a landing at BRI to remember for the rest of your life (nice little airport!) :ok:

Pax Vobiscum
9th Sep 2006, 20:59
Hi FBW

It is a very old joke - I'm sure if Il Papa ever relocates the head office back to Avignon, we'll be making the same joke about Air France!

I'm intrigued to learn that AZ CC hold a CAA licence - how does this differ from the position in the UK? I'd imagined (probably incorrectly) that international regulations would require similar standards for CC the world only.

flybywire
10th Sep 2006, 19:06
Hi FBW
It is a very old joke - I'm sure if Il Papa ever relocates the head office back to Avignon, we'll be making the same joke about Air France!
I'm intrigued to learn that AZ CC hold a CAA licence - how does this differ from the position in the UK? I'd imagined (probably incorrectly) that international regulations would require similar standards for CC the world only.

Hellooooooo!!!
I did understand it was a joke :D we even say it ourselves in Italy ;)

Right...imagine the UK CAA. Imagine all the airlines G registered. In the UK every airline has to comply with CAA regulations for its operations, however: they train the cabin crew following the CAA guidelines (and covering the mandatory subjects) but it's the company itself who examines its own cabin crew. This results in incredible differences between airline trainings, exams porcedures and, ultimately, quality of the cabin crew safety knowledge. I worked for another airline in the UK before joining BA and I can say that the difference between the training of the two (initial, recurrent etc) and the safety culture amongst crew is huge!!

What happens in Italy (France, Spain I think are very similar) is: all airlines must prepare their crew to the same safety standards in order to obtain a unique crew licence. Cabin crew do a very hard ground course and must fly for a minimum of 100hrs in a "supernumerary" position (if they are lucky-I ended up doing over 300!) before their airline takes them to the CAA headquaters to take an official exam. Crew are then examined by CAA officials whom they have never met before. If they are successful they get an official licence, which is compulsory for working as a cabin crew. If they are not, the CAA reserves the right to accept the individual at a later date for a retake or to refuse them any further possibilities.
They are very strict, but it is necessary to obtain clear and common standards for all airlines.
Once the crew memeber has obtained the licence doesn't need to undertake these exams anymore when they change airline. The new airline only has to train the individual for their customer service procedures and for their SOPs together with aircraft conversions where appropriate. This is because one airline's initial training is recognised by all the other airlines and a licence is the proof that the crew has the appripriate knowledge.

I know for a fact that they are trying to do something like this in the UK too - however talks are ongoing as they have to decide what to do with the people who are already working as CC. I fear that some of these people would not pass such strict examinations, and neither would it be fair in some cases. We'll see what happens, but I am 100% for a UK licence, it would make life much easier for crew who want to change employer and would make me a happier pax when I fly with other airlines!!!:O

Sorry for the long reply!!!:ouch:

ciao

FBW

Pax Vobiscum
11th Sep 2006, 16:14
Thanks for your clear explanation flybywire - once again PPRuNe has improved my education.

This sounds to me as though the UK needs to catch up with our friends on the continent. It would be interesting to know which countries follow the Italian example (you mention Spain and France) and which follow the UK by allowing each company to 'roll their own'. These days, when it seems like new passenger airlines are starting up every other week, am I alone in finding it a little disturbing that they're allowed to self-examine their CC for proficiency?

flybywire
12th Sep 2006, 18:44
These days, when it seems like new passenger airlines are starting up every other week, am I alone in finding it a little disturbing that they're allowed to self-examine their CC for proficiency?

Yes I know what you mean there, and I totally agree with you!!
Unfortunately foreign airlines like FR or EZY (and possibly a few more) who have bases in Italy do not have to comply with ENAC (the Italian CAA) regulations so many people who see the hard work of a licence something like a pain can now fly out of italy for one of those companies, with standards that differ from the rest of the italian airlines. I think it's just because EZY is regulated (if this is the "correct" word) by the CAA and FR by the IAA. Do not know what kind of agreements they have with each other, however to get rid of these differences a European licence would be the ideal solution. After all we already comply to JAR Ops :ok:

FBW:)

Big Harvey
14th Sep 2006, 02:22
Comments I have read re this airline and the connection facilities make me think that the journey will not be the highlight of my holiday! Please may I have comments from anybody who has flown this route and/or with this carrier? I am travelling on 21st September; also how is the check-in shambles at Terminal 3 at the moment? Thanks in advance

As others have mentioned, I'm pretty sure Alitalia use Terminal 2 at LHR. I flew Alitalia from LHR to Mumbai via MXP in March. Even by airport standards, MXP has to be one of the most soulless, depressing places I've ever been. Many thousands of passengers must change planes here every day, and yet the facilities are incredibly sparse. I was unable to find anywhere to get anything substantial to eat. All I could find was a single coffee bar. The airport has a policy of having flights departing within a few minutes of each other using gates in the same inadequately sized departure area. The result is an overcrowded scrum, where confusion reigns, with orderly queueing (or any kind of queueing) rendered impossible.

Airline food is seldom very good, but is normally edible at a push. Alitalia on both my short-haul flights gave me a damp cardboard box of stale, additive-laden swill. I actually threw it away. I have flown with numerous airlines, but was shocked at how poor the food was on 3 out of the 4 legs I flew with Alitalia.

Leg room was OK, and the flights went more or less to time. Price was my main consideration, which is why I chose them. They were the cheapest at the time I booked, and being the kind of person who is prepared to slum it a bit to save money, I had low expectations, and therefore wasn't too disappointed.

My advice is to bring your own food, or failing that, eat before you fly, bring a good book in case you have to spend any time in the sterile environment of MXP, travel without any expectations of decent levels of service from the airline, and you'll be fine.

LH2
14th Sep 2006, 05:22
I second the comments above re. bringing your own food and reading.

Other than that, keep in mind MXP has a habit of being covered in fog at certain times of the year, with the consequent delays.