PDA

View Full Version : Swords and Frogs

tablet_eraser
6th Sep 2006, 16:52
I've just taken delivery of a sword from a magnificent flying base, only to find that the frog and knot are not tied to the hand-guard/pommel properly (barely tied on at all, actually!). I can't find any pictorial guide to remedying this... any advice?

QFIhawkman
6th Sep 2006, 18:44
I always find that Araldite is good for such things....

Particularly when you're picking up a sword for someone else.

I'll make way now for the sensible answers. :\

movadinkampa747
6th Sep 2006, 21:38
I'll make way now for the sensible answers. :\
About time too......................
Ok here goes, now read this very carefully I shall type this only once. The frog and knot is secured to the sword by passing the small end through the eye in the pommel and securing it to the hook above, or is it below, the large end of the knot.:uhoh:
One frog and knot will be drawn taut immediately below the pommel; the other immediately above the large end of the knot.:ooh: Both strands of the knot are then looped in a clove hitch (The clove hitch) (http://www.goals.com/vyc/knots/clove.htm) over the rear hilt at the cross guard, next to the guard, and drawn taut so that the large end of the knot hangs free and does not fall below the upper brass rings of the scabbard.:sad: The clove hitch "crossover" is worn inboard.:ok:
Got it................................:O

ShyTorque
6th Sep 2006, 22:20
Failing that, drill and "rivet" would be in order.

Sword drill and rivet the frog.... ;)

Gainesy
7th Sep 2006, 08:18
Get the armoury to do it?:)

teeteringhead
7th Sep 2006, 08:24
Is there not a detailed picture in the Drill & Ceremonial Manual ?
AP 818 IIRC (now that is sad). Might well be on t'intranet these days, or you could ask a friendly SWO (oxymoron ;) )

[Edited to add:]

Memory was wrong - it's AP 1358 and it's on the intranet here (http://www.publications.raf.r.mil.uk/live/AP1358/Chapt%209%20-%20SWORDS-AIGS-ETC.pdf) for those with access....

tablet_eraser
10th Sep 2006, 09:48
Thanks for the intranet link, it has everything I need!