PDA

View Full Version : Practavia Sprite. Know anything?

blue up
6th Sep 2006, 08:13
Wondered if anyone had any knowledge of these competitors for the contract that the Bulldog finally won as the Chippie replcement.

Are there any left flying and what engines did they use? G-INFO doesn't help much. Neither does Google (the proooners' friend!)

Are there any unfinished kits?

[email protected]

Ta:ok:

KZ8
6th Sep 2006, 08:31
As far as I am aware, the Sprite was never aimed at the Military trainer market.
The design was commisioned by an early editor of Pilot magazine, to be produced as a homebuilt aircraft from plans and kits.
The design was all-metal in low-wing two-seat side-by-side configuration.
A number of homebuilt projects were started and a handful have flown.
The target engine was the Franklin Sport 4 (120 hp I think), but the two aircraft currently registered (G-BCVF and G-BCWH) have Continental engines (C-125 and O-240).
To build a Sprite today, the major obstacle would be lack of type support to answer your inevitable queries during the build.
The modern equivalent would be the the Vans RV series, which is a current design that could be built with full product support from the kit manufacturer.

Hope this helps

KZ8

LowNSlow
6th Sep 2006, 10:29
There was a "substantially complete" Sprite for sale in last year's PFA Rally. Have a look in the Pilot back issues fr the flight test. From dim and distant memory it flew very well but was a complex build.

possel
6th Sep 2006, 12:01
The Sprite sufferred from a nasty accident in the seventies when the wing broke in flight - don't know the circumstances but it didn't do the type's credibility any good.

They were all plans constructed, not kits.

It was definitely not aimed at the Bulldog market - KZ8 is entirely correct.

blue up
6th Sep 2006, 16:18
I've got an entire Franklin engine for a Sprite, still in the wrapper. Since very few other aircraft seem to have used the Franklin, it would've been nice to find an unfinished project or someone who wanted this 130hp engine.

PS. Ooooops on the "bulldog" thingy.:O

KZ8
6th Sep 2006, 19:49
Perhaps you might contact the PFA and place a classified ad for the engine in Popular Flying. Their website is www.pfa.org.uk, which contains the contact details.

The engine might go rather nicely in other designs as if anything like the 220 Franklin 6 cylinder engine, it would be light for its power output.

I heard somewhere that the Franklin 4 cylinder engine might be back in production(?) so there might even be spare parts available, if required.

The prototype Sprite did suffer a crash, I believe a spinning accident and the design was modified to include a dorsal fin. I do not think that there was any suspision of structural failure at the time.

Anyway, the engine sounds like just the thing for someone's flying machine.

Best wishes

KZ8

ormus55
6th Sep 2006, 20:22
the franklin may be suitable for a pietenpol aircamper?
or is it just the smaller 65 HP one?

microlight AV8R
6th Sep 2006, 20:51
There is an unfinished one for sale on AFORS. £2995, almost complete. Engine also available for a further £2995.

Blue Up Incoming PM.

Haven't posted link in case I break any rules.

Them thar hills
7th Sep 2006, 06:23
I seem to remember that the spinning accident was when the Sprite was on test from Sherburn.
Some ballast came adrift and caused a control problem.
The pilot was killed.

Sir George Cayley
7th Sep 2006, 12:00
I too have an affinity to oddball one off type a/c and knew both of the builders of the pair heretofore mentioned above.

Both of them showed huge determination in seeing their projects finished and flying but the fact that it stopped there says much.

My advice to prospective builders is always the same. Unless the building of the a/c is an important part of the plan - go and buy something.

Sir George Cayley

blue up
7th Sep 2006, 15:36
Thanks, guys.

I thought about a Sprite since I have an almost complete "firewall-forwards" for one that never got built. The engine, being pre-approved, would be an easier job to fit than trying to get PFA approval to fit it in anything else.

A Pietenpol would be nice with this motor but you have to wonder if the aggro of getting approval would be worth it. Same weight (or slightly less) than an O-200 but 30% more powerful. Spares are a bit of a prob. Some remanufactured parts have some "issues" with compatability. Fortunately my engine is comlete and has never been run.

That onr on the AFORS site might suit me. Tried to contact the guy without any luck but will try again tonight. Thanks AV8R!

Alternatively, does anyone have a 2-seater to trade for a 130hp engine?:O

Sir George. The building is as much a part of the project for me as the flying so a "90% done, 90% left to go" kit would be good.

Sir George Cayley
8th Sep 2006, 13:50
In that case a replica B29 should keep you busy:)

Sir George Cayley