PDA

View Full Version : CX holding Americans back from upgrade?

highsky
6th Sep 2006, 06:43
I've heard from several different peeps that CX heavily discriminates against Americans from upgrading to Captain. Is this true? I have an interview coming up, but am not interested in giving my life to a group that practices such childish politics.:ugh:

777300ER
6th Sep 2006, 07:12
Not true. The upgrade failure rate is alarmingly high however it's not just Americans having trouble. This topic has been beaten to death on these forums so I'll leave it at that.

Nullaman
6th Sep 2006, 07:21
Training department discriminates against everyone!
Don't blame them - rather blame the Star Chamber.

Pour yourself a beer and do a good search on this forum - the information is there to view.

Oasis
6th Sep 2006, 09:02
Does anyone have some factual numbers as to how many are failing their command?
I know it used to be bad, but subsequently heard that things were improving.
It seems like whenever a fleet gets a bad rep for failures, all of a sudden things will get better again and people get through by the bus loads.

Five Green
6th Sep 2006, 16:13
Well ten commands last month is not quite a bus load. When compared to United or BA that have alot more upgrades per month just to keep up with retirements. The problem is that just because we had a good month does not mean that we will continue to have the same. The round table is still there and so are the dark horses. It is still luck of the draw as to who you get as a trainer/checker.

To top it off the company wants us to shaft SOs and new joiners and the carrot.....command ! This when a command at Cathay is by no means a guarantee !

Cheers

highsky
6th Sep 2006, 22:03
Can't the union do something to reel in the 'Star Chamber?' Or is the union impotent? Or is the union just standing by silently watching the schoolyard bully have his way with pilots' livelihoods and morale? Things obviously don't have to be like that. Those of us who have worked for U.S. legacies know that kind of crap wouldn't be tolerated.

ltherneck
7th Sep 2006, 03:05
I've been invited to an FO interview in NY next month. So lately I've been reading these forums trying to get up to speed on the Cathay's culture and from what I read it is no pleasant. Besides the interview expereince is this a place to go for the rest of my career?

SMOC
7th Sep 2006, 09:48
Come on over, the more "normal" people CX get the more the environment will change, it's changing but slowly. :ok:

gtale77
13th Sep 2006, 15:21
I have also been invited to the NYC interview. Is it all politics or just luck of the draw?

sizematters
14th Sep 2006, 01:50
It is neither politics nor luck of the draw but they look very carefully at wether or not they think you will "fit In" to the Cathay life/culture...............................Comments like "Those of us who have worked for U.S. legacies know that kind of crap wouldn't be tolerated." will not get you a job at Cathay !!! However if you want a job with security and to know you get a pay check each month till the day you retire, there is nowhere like it....................You can always stick with your US legacy carrier...........till the next bump in the road and furlough again.......good luck with the interview....................

ltherneck
14th Sep 2006, 02:48
Has anyone interviewed, say in the last few weeks? If so what type of question, how tech., how about HR questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading the gouge from this website and others but it's a lot to take in all at once, so any help with what to focus on would be great.

Thanks for the help
Semper Fi

DropKnee
17th Sep 2006, 03:18
It is neither politics nor luck of the draw but they look very carefully at wether or not they think you will "fit In" to the Cathay life/culture...............................Comments like "Those of us who have worked for U.S. legacies know that kind of crap wouldn't be tolerated." will not get you a job at Cathay !!! However if you want a job with security and to know you get a pay check each month till the day you retire, there is nowhere like it....................You can always stick with your US legacy carrier...........till the next bump in the road and furlough again.......good luck with the interview....................

Wrong...:=
It's luck of the draw and politics do matter. Just ask any Captain upgrade who passes and then fails. CX may provide a steady paycheck, but it still has it's pitfalls. Your chances of loosing your CX job are just about equal with the legacy carriers. The reasons are just different.

highsky
18th Sep 2006, 19:41
Wrong...:=
It's luck of the draw and politics do matter. Just ask any Captain upgrade who passes and then fails. CX may provide a steady paycheck, but it still has it's pitfalls. Your chances of loosing your CX job are just about equal with the legacy carriers. The reasons are just different.

That's what I'm afraid of. What good is it to work for an airline with no furlough threat if they summarily fire you anyway. I've heard flying with CX is like being on probation your whole career. Who would want to spend his career having to stick his nose up the Captain's and management's asses every day? Obviously you guys resent that; can't you collectively do something about it?

It's really a shame. Aside from this, CX would be the greatest job in the world. This is such a buzzkill.