PDA

View Full Version : PPL Ground Study (Prior to 3 Weeks Intensive course)

rziola
5th Sep 2006, 19:13
Chaps

I am contemplating doing my PPL with Orlando Flight training this December, since I aiming to complete the course within 3 weeks, I would like to know how much study I should dedicate to the ground exams prior to attending the school.

I am aware that the above depends on an individual’s ability to grasp the concepts of each subject, but I am looking for a rough estimate for a 6 exams and RT.

On another note, has anyone here done the PPL in 3 weeks? How the workload was and how much flying did you do each day?

Cheers
Richard

potkettleblack
5th Sep 2006, 19:27
Have you got a copy of the confuser and a set of the PPL manuals? If not then get them online from one of the pilot shops and get cracking. If it was me doing it all over again then I would read the books through and give the confuser a go to see how I was retaining the information, then go over any grey areas. Ideally when you get to FL you want to try to get the exams out of the way in the first week to take a bit of the pressure off the flying side of things as there will be plenty of reading up to do each night going over the lessons and basic handling etc.

Whirlygig
5th Sep 2006, 20:55
I did my PPL fullt-time in UK. It was the hot summer of 2003 and I only lost one day for bad weather. It took 7 weeks. However, there are a few caveats to that. Firstly, I ain't no spring chicken and it's harder to learn a new skill the older you are. Secondly, it was a helicopter which is harder and has a higher average number of hours to get the licence.

Factors included unserviceability of the aircraft, my own workload with exams (I did three in advance) and my concentration levels.

Three weeks is pushing it I feel so budget for more. That would be 3 hours a day (allowing weekends to study) and that will be tough for a learner.

Cheers

Whirls

Leezyjet
5th Sep 2006, 21:12
I did my PPL in South Africa in 19 days, both flying and ground school (15 days flying, 4 days ground school/exams).

It wasn't a JAA PPL and the SA PPL is a slightly easier on the ground school side, but was still very tough flying 3, 2 hour flights each day and studying in between, and also studying on an evening.

I would do as much as you can prior to going to FL.

:\

highflyingfox
7th Sep 2006, 03:40
I did my ppl training with OFT in Febuary. The ground school part of the course was the hardest bit in my case. OFT offers evening classes of about an hour which involve sitting in a class room in front of a computer presentation. Thou they are helpful they aren't that good and not detailed enough. Try to ask lots of questions to any of the English instructors as they seemed more knowledgeable. The American guys are good but sometimes don't know all the JAA info.

On the course at the time I was there, no-one did it in 3 weeks. Thats including two ex-concord pilots who were re-taking there ppl's to fly there newly acquired tiger moth.

Try and take some of the exams before you go like Air Law, Navigation. This will enable you to go solo quicker as Air Law is required for you to do so. Also another thing to consider is that the instructors don't offer to much help, they earn little money and would rather charge you $30 for an hours ground instruction, plus they are very busy. Good luck, do the exams as soon as possible best before you even get there, and be realistic with what you want to achieve 3 weeks is tough work, taking into account weather, aircraft breakdowns, how busy the school etc. Aim for 4 weeks if possible.

P.S. Heron Lakes accomadation is closest to airport thou not the best, the other one offered to you is a little better.

CherokeeDriver
7th Sep 2006, 08:09
Did my PPL last year on the West coast of the USA at a JAA approved school near San Diego. As people have said on this post, read the books before you go and make sure you complete the "sample" questions (I used Trevor Thorn(sp?). Make sure you have the latest Confuser and a couple of days before each exam go through the confuser questions - they really do help you understand what the exams are trying to test you on.

I did 45.5 hours and passed all exams in 18 days. Was very lucky, didn't loose any time with Wx, and aircraft were always avaialble and in service.

I also had a very motivated FI who ensured that the exams were properly prepared for, and sat each day BEFORE we went flying (so I wasn't mentally tired and fresh from a nights sleep).

Bottom line is that it is very possible to do, but when I flew home I have never felt so tired, and proud, in all my life.

Enjoy the experiance - if you go with the right attitude it is amazing. I can honestly say it was the hardest working, but best, 3 weeks of my life.