at the end of business September 10, 2006. I.M.P. wishes to thank its loyal
customers, employees and suppliers for their support and will work to minimize
the impact of this decision.
Mr. Ken Rowe, I.M.P. Chairman and CEO, said, "with the rising business
risks of operating a scheduled airline, I.M.P. has decided to suspend
year-round scheduled airline service and focus on their increasing charter
business."
CanJet will be offering alternate suitable travel arrangements for anyone
booked on their flights after September 10th or fully refunding their tickets.
Many of the affected employees will be offered positions in I.M.P.'s
expanding general aviation, aerospace or other business units.

CanJet Airlines is a division of I.M.P. Group Limited, a privately-owned
diversified group of companies headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia, with
extensive interests in aerospace, aviation, manufacturing, healthcare,
industrial marine products, and hotels. I.M.P. Group was honoured as one of
the "Top 50 Best Managed Companies in Canada" in 2003, 2004, and 2005.

sec 3
5th Sep 2006, 14:43
Ken Rowe is an idiot who couldn't care less about his employees:yuk: Good luck to all my freinds who work there. With all the good experience you have now, hopefully you will find better jobs.:)

flywestjetcr
5th Sep 2006, 15:01
I too would like to send my best wishes to the hard working group at Canjet. This is not an easy part of our industry. Fortunately the global aviation scene is still in expansion mode and I would think that most of the pilots have a very good chance at being hired elsewhere. I would encourage all WJ'ers to take the time to submit a positive or negative recommend on any CJ'ers you might know. With any luck our YYZ port numbers will grow and these fine people can stay residing in the maritimes.

I can't agree with the statement about Ken Rowe's intelligence(ie.Idiot). He is a very astute business man who is not in the business to lose money. He has made some very hard decisions in the past and once again has had to make another one. What would you have done?

er340790
5th Sep 2006, 15:12
KR is certainly no idiot. Hard-nosed entrepreneur certainly, but Canada would do well with a lot more like him. I think the IMP group were the ones behind the Aerostar hotel JV with Aeroflot back in the early 90s - while most people were sitting on the sidelines watching which way the FSU would go, he was in there risking his own money - and actually providing a decent hotels which in Moscow in those days was quite something.

WRC
5th Sep 2006, 22:43
It's really very sad to hear of CanJet's sched service halt. I hope the charter end can keep some of the guys employed. They are very good and some can't really leave the East Coast. They are a good competitor to us (WestJet) and I wish them the very best.

anybodyatall
6th Sep 2006, 11:40
Flights grounded, and fares may soar
Discount carrier plans to focus on charter business
Latest casualty will likely mean higher costs for travellers
Sep. 6, 2006. 05:34 AM
KEVIN MCGRAN
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

Small discount airlines just can't seem to make a go of it in this country. And it's consumers who will pay the price.

"It does mean higher fares," Harry Gow, past president of the lobby group Transport 2000 said after CanJet, the Halifax-based low-cost carrier, announced it won't offer scheduled flights past Sunday. Instead it will focus on the charter business to sunny destinations in winter.

For complete article, visit the Toronto Star:
http://tinyurl.com/gbpcr

bus canuck
6th Sep 2006, 12:51
Sorry to hear this news. Good luck to the Canjet guys. Too bad it's so difficult to keep a good job flying based in the Maritimes.

Any indication how big the charter fleet will be?

PaperTiger
6th Sep 2006, 16:00
Any indication how big the charter fleet will be?Good question. Too late for this winter I'd say - all the tour companies are surely already committed. So that leaves ad-hocs, and how many of those will keep a fleet of 737s busy ? Maybe there's some ACMI business to be had but if I had to guess, I'd say most of the 737s are history.

PPRuNeUser0199
6th Sep 2006, 16:44
KR is certainly no idiot. Hard-nosed entrepreneur certainly, but Canada would do well with a lot more like him. I think the IMP group were the ones behind the Aerostar hotel JV with Aeroflot back in the early 90s - while most people were sitting on the sidelines watching which way the FSU would go, he was in there risking his own money - and actually providing a decent hotels which in Moscow in those days was quite something.

An idiot? You bet he is.
When he closed Air Atlantic he filed a petition with the CIRB so he did not have to pay his employees any severance. He had at least 8 planes that he owned and could have sold one to pay his staff and he did not.
He should be held accountable personally for crap like this. All guys like him should!:mad:

Keeping a small staff around helps to keep the OC alive to see if they can drum up some business. This is a long shot for sure and if they have business lined up it is a simple case of union busting.

sec 3
7th Sep 2006, 11:35
Why are you putting TS in a group with Jetsgo and Canjet?:confused: Air Transat is a very successful company financially and also a great place to work.:ok: Even if you can't speak the country's second official language, you would be welcomed there if you showed even the smallest effort to blend in. Good company,great people!

GreatCircle
7th Sep 2006, 11:58
Sec3 is of course correct - you can't compare TS to Z4, Jetsgo or Canjet. Totally different.

I tried to understand Beaver's post, but couldn't...

In the meantime, I am sure all us drivers look to our lucky stars and wish the very best for the Canjet guys about to suffer due to management ignorance, ill-conceived ambition and hopeless marketing.

Hope you'll have seats soon...

tsgas
10th Sep 2006, 22:57
Take your type ratings and go overseas.
Low cost fly by night Canadian style Frank Lorenzo outfits are a waste of time except to gain free training from a Pa-31 to a B-737.

Willie Everlearn
11th Sep 2006, 15:49
:confused: This is a shocking surprise? To whom and why?:ugh:
The minute talks of a pilot union hit their head office, the jig was up.
There isn't a Canjet pilot out there that shouldn't get a decent job overseas.
Now, whether or not they're willing to relocate and re-invent their flying careers, is another matter.
Good luck to you all. There are better days ahead with bigger paydays.
Maybe one day, the MLs and KRs of this world will be unable to find qualified and experienced pilots to fly their aeroplanes. I expect to see a new company, with a new livery and a whole new flying staff join KRs new "charter" operation.
Watch this space....
:ok:
Willie

yhzjetgirl
21st Sep 2006, 20:01
Canjet 2 1/2 is rising from the ashes!!
So far, signed Sunquest deal for charters out of YYZ and YHZ.
Hopefully more charters to follow.