PDA

View Full Version : UK awaits approval to buy Predator B

Lazer-Hound
5th Sep 2006, 10:42
DATE:05/09/06
SOURCE:Flight International http://www.flightglobal.com/

UK awaits US approval to purchase Predator Bs

By Graham Warwick

Two UAVs to support British operations in Afghanistan as lead-in to Project Dabinett

The UK Ministry of Defence is awaiting US government approval for its planned purchase of two General Atomics Predator B unmanned air vehicles to meet an urgent operational requirement. The development follows UK Treasury permission for funding to be brought forward from the MoD's Project Dabinett long-range, long-endurance intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance (ISTAR) programme.

A letter of request has been submitted, and Congressional notification of the proposed sale is expected soon, says Air Cdr Nick Gordon, the UK's director equipment capability, ISTAR. The UK wants to field the UAVs to provide a full-motion video capability to support operations in Afghanistan by May next year. The purchase will include electro-optical/infrared and Lynx synthetic-aperture radar payloads and both line-of-sight and beyond line-of-sight communications equipment. Initially, Gordon says, the UAVs will be operated from the control centre at Nellis AFB in Nevada, where UK personnel are already part of the team operating US Air Force MQ-1 Predators over Afghanistan and Iraq.

Gordon told last week's AUVSI Unmanned Systems North America conference in Orlando, Florida that the Predator purchase will be paid for "in a novel way" that involves bringing forward funding from the Dabinett project to fill a gap in the UK's ISR capability. Now in the concept phase, Dabinett is scheduled for an "initial gate" decision in February 2007, with full operational capability planned for 2017.

Dabinett will provide an "adaptable ISR" capability to include cross-cueing sensors and systems, target acquisition and potentially weapons delivery. Although platforms like Northrop Grumman's RQ-4 Global Hawk high-altitude, long-endurance UAV are candidates, Gordon says the UK is also looking into the potential for a UAV with a three-month endurance based on hydrogen fuel-cell power technology being explored by Qinetiq. "It's early days," he says.

At full operational capability, Dabinett is to provide "deep and persistent" ISR over enemy territory, which could involve the use of satellites or require a low-observable UAV. "We will have a UAV capability. Equally it may involve overhead capability," he says, adding: "It will be a system of systems approach."

microlight AV8R
5th Sep 2006, 11:21
That just might be a useful bit of kit.

Off the shelf ? Shirley not?

Are we going to redesign the fuselage and fit RR powerplant, UK avionics etc?

Watching with interest.

Lazer-Hound
5th Sep 2006, 11:34
That just might be a useful bit of kit.

Off the shelf ? Shirley not?

Are we going to redesign the fuselage and fit RR powerplant, UK avionics etc?

Watching with interest.

I certainly hope not, if they're supposed to be in service by Mat 2007. Plus the costs wouldn't be justified for just 2 aircraft.

VuctoredThrest
5th Sep 2006, 16:00
I think we should fit a gun as well - or maybe not. Oh why not toss a coin or ask the audience to decide.
Also needs to be able to land vertically.

chevvron
5th Sep 2006, 16:36
Twin Avons, fit a cockpit with room for a systems operator in the nose; omygod I converted it to a Canberra.

L J R
5th Sep 2006, 16:41
Raptor pod (sans housing??). Is that the Brit connection??. Wonder if the Raptor Data and the Flight Dynamics Satcom link are compatible?

movadinkampa747
5th Sep 2006, 16:46
UAV sensor resolution and accuracy will enable expanded use of the targeting cycle for interdiction campaigns, while providing a force multiplier and NRT assessment of target damage. All of this combined with the flight Dynamic flight link will see an overall improving battlefield efficiency.

VuctoredThrest
6th Sep 2006, 08:03
In a slightly more serious note - i thought that Watchkeeper was being bought for this purpose.

London Mil
6th Sep 2006, 08:21
Watchkeeper has a 150kg payload. Predator B has a 383kg internal payload and can carry a whopping (relatively) 1300kgs externally.

Watchkeeper doesn't drop bombs. Predator B does.

ORAC
6th Sep 2006, 09:20
http://www.murdocnet.net/pics/predatorBomber-thumb.JPG

The guy that builds them wants to fit AIM-120 as well... :E

Lazer-Hound
6th Sep 2006, 09:27
I understand that some years ago an Iraqi MiG 25(?) shot down a Predator A that was trying to engage it with Stinger missiles. USAF sent a worn-out Predator past the no-fly zone specifically to test this concept.

L J R
6th Sep 2006, 16:40
Lazor,

The predator A you are talking about (Iraq c2001??) had some good footage of a Flogger flying 'dry' passes around it - presumably as the MiG pilot was vectored but could not get a vis as the predator was too small & too slow to be seen from cockpit of said supersonic interceptor.

robin
6th Sep 2006, 19:46
Wasn't there a video clip or sequence of images of an airliner just missing a Predator?

DaveW
6th Sep 2006, 20:35
Wasn't a Predator but a Luna, otherwise accurate description of an AtoA kill A300 vs UAV (http://81.144.183.107/Articles/2006/03/14/Navigation/196/205379/Animation+Near+misses+between+UAVs+and+airliners+prompt+NATO +low-level+rules.html).

Hoveronly
8th Sep 2006, 11:35
Hopefully the Royal Artillery will operate them, well they are the experts aren't they... "Drop short 100"

LowObservable
8th Sep 2006, 13:17
All the better to target women and children.

There was a famous story, some reporters asked a door gunner, "How can you shoot women and children?" and he answered, "It's easy, you just don't lead 'em as much." - Michael Herr, Dispatches, 1977 (not Full Metal Jacket, which ripped off the original quote)

Actually, UAVs can be viewed as a way to reduce such disasters. If I'm sitting in an air-conditioned room on Nevada I'm more likely to take a second look at the picture - and much more able to rewind and enlarge the image and then go back for a look - than I would be in the back of a fast jet.