PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Spitfire H-53 / MH424

REF
5th Sep 2006, 10:24
I saw this aircraft at Duxford on Sunday, is this new on the UK circuit? What is the history of it? was it one of the Vickers Supermarine or Vickers Armstrong Spitfires? Is it airworthy?

Spitfire in question (http://www.richardflagg.fotopic.net/p33722097.html)

treadigraph
5th Sep 2006, 12:32
I believe this is the Aviodome example which has been sold/part-exchanged for one of the ex Swedish Fireflies that have been at Duxford. Historic Flying are going to restore it to fly. It's a Castle Bromwich airframe and its real i/d is MJ271.

Jhieminga
12th Sep 2006, 08:11
Indeed it is the ex-Aviodrome Spitfire. The museum had a change of heart and decided to focus on the civil side of aviation from now on. Because of this the Spitfire was sold, I think to generate some cash for new items but what this might be we don't know yet. The remains of the Swedish Firefly did indeed travel in the opposite direction but it wasn't a straight swap.

H-53 is indeed MJ271, although painted as MH424. It was restored for the Aviodrome by Harry v/d Meer who also wrote two books about the Dutch Spitfires. I think it has always been in Holland since its airforce days.

One of the reasons for its sale was that there were other Spitfires on display in Holland and the Government had asked to avoid having doubles in national collections. What does this leave us with then? There is Mk. IX MJ143 which is in the Military Aviation museum at Soesterberg, and there is 'NH649' which is a Mk.XVIII converted to Mk.XIV for the War museum in Overloon. And of course we have airworthy Mk.IX MK732 with the Dutch Airforce Historical Flight.

In the end we don't lose much it seems, but still it is a strange step to take a genuine relic and just sell it on. Right now I'm kicking myself for not taking more photos of this aircraft, but then I never thought it would move from its place at the Aviodrome. Also the Aviodrome's policy changes seem flawed at first sight. They ship out a Spitfire because they want to restrict themselves to certain themes which focus mainly on civil aviation, but they then support their decision by stating that they can now display a (military!) Fokker C.V. I guess it will turn out allright in the end, but it might be a while before I get used to the new situation.

JDK
12th Sep 2006, 14:24
They ship out a Spitfire because they want to restrict themselves to certain themes which focus mainly on civil aviation, but they then support their decision by stating that they can now display a (military!) Fokker C.V. I guess it will turn out allright in the end, but it might be a while before I get used to the new situation.
Having read a translation of the Aviodrome's statement, it's not that they will concentrate on civil aviation to the exclusion of military, but too pay more attention to it, which isn't a bad idea. They have a significant civil and a significant military collection...

As to the Fokker C-5, I have to say there's a bit of Spitfire snobbery there - the Fokker's the ONLY genuine W.W.II Dutch built aircraft surviving - rather important, and it should be on show, surely?

As for the Spitfire, back to the air, and then where? Start saving, and you can dictate... ;)