PDA

View Full Version : Preparation books for IR (JAA)

FlightOops
5th Sep 2006, 08:14
I am about to embark on an IR(H) but with limited overall experience I am well aware of what an uphill struggle I am due to face.
As a result, I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for some background reading before I start the course.
I want to spend the time between now and the start reading into the theory aspects, e.g. parallel, offsets joins; hold patterns; procedures for holding; theory of RMI / HSI etc.
No point wasting limited time and extra expense learning them after I've already started - I want to hit the ground running (well actually I rather avoid hitting the ground, hence the reading !)
Thanks in advance,
FO

Bravo73
5th Sep 2006, 08:41
Get a copy of RANT XL (Radio Aids Naviation Trainer, IIRC) for your PC.

Transair (and other pilot shops) stock it. Here's the Transair link (http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=1211).

HTH,

B73

FlightOops
5th Sep 2006, 08:49
Bravo73,

Thanks for the advice - I already have a copy of VORTex which came with my Bristol Groundschool pack.

It looks to be a good trainer although I must confess that I didn't really know what I was doing with it when I first evaluated it - I intend to dust it off and have another go but really wanted to read into the procedural side as well.

Transair offer a handful of books but as I don't want to buy them all (the IR is already an expensive pursuit!) I was hoping for any recommendations.

FO