PDA

View Full Version : BA Sim Assessment

virtualaviation
4th Sep 2006, 17:48
Anyone here know whether BA are starting a pilot recruitment spree?

In the last few days several people booked 747-400 simulator practice sessions with us, prior to a BA sim assessment.

This is in stark contrast to last few months when we've mostly seen people with easyJet, ThomsonFly, Jet2 and GB Airways assessments coming up - but only a few with BA.

Just wondering if this sudden change is simply a 'blip' - or the start of longer-term sustained pilot recruitment at BA?

Any information would be much appreciated.

scroggs
4th Sep 2006, 19:18
BA have been recruiting fairly steadily for the last three years, as this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147292) thread will demonstrate.

Scroggs

no sponsor
5th Sep 2006, 10:26
At the BALPA conference, John Monks indicated that for the remainder of their year, until March 2007, they had openings for around 16 pilots. He indicated that there were already people in the system who would probably fill these places. Some of these would be DEPs, some SSPs.

Due to the retirement age being extended to 60, they only have a requirement for 50 pilots between April 07 to March 08, compared to the 160 or so for the past year.

In addition, he indicated that there may be an option for pilots who are over 60 to continue to fly as FOs until they are 65. He mentioned that once over-flight rules were enforced by the ICAO states, then this may happen. I can't recall the exact date when it would be known. Therefore, this was reducing the need for pilots over the next 24 months.

As for growth, he mentioned this was minimal, as the main objective for BA was the move to T5, hence new routes/aircraft would not be significantly changed, thereby reducing the number still further.

virtualaviation
5th Sep 2006, 10:36
Very interesting information, thank you.

Obvioulsy the recent surge we've seen in BA pre-assessment practice bookings is not due to any sudden increase in recruitment. Perhaps it's just due to the fact that they now using the 747-400 simulator for assessments, instead of the old BAC 1-11.

scroggs
5th Sep 2006, 12:11
In addition, he indicated that there may be an option for pilots who are over 60 to continue to fly as FOs until they are 65. He mentioned that once over-flight rules were enforced by the ICAO states, then this may happen. I can't recall the exact date when it would be known. Therefore, this was reducing the need for pilots over the next 24 months.

Either John or I inadequately understand the legislation, or your recollection of what he said is flawed!

My (and my company's) interpretation of the new legislation is that, from November this year, 65 will become the default retirement age for pilots. For those currently on contracts to 55 (BA) or 60 (Virgin and most others), it will be up to them whether they wish to continue to 65 (already an option at Virgin, and has been for several years). Separately, but contemporaneously, international (ICAO) legislation will become binding this year that makes 65 the default retirement age for captains. Signatories to ICAO will be required to allow captains from other signatory countries to operate over their territory up to that age, even if their own national legislation mandates a lower limit (France, Italy, Portugal, USA). Consequently, Virgin and others are expecting commanders who reach the age of 60 from the end of this year to be able to continue in the LHS, and for older ex-captains to return to the LHS subject to simulator training. As this is a matter of legislation, company policy is irrelevant - BA captains will be able to stay not only in the company, but in the LHS to age 65.

How this will affect BA's recruiting demands is as yet unclear, as they do not yet know how many of those contracted to 55 will actually leave at that point. There is an ongoing dispute between the BA pilot workforce and the company over pension provision which is clouding this particular issue. Until it is settled, BA's pilot requirement for 2007 can't be known for certain.

Scroggs

EGBKFLYER
5th Sep 2006, 12:59
Scroggs - I don't think John Monks put it quite as clearly as you have, but I agree that that is pretty much what he said.

The FO 60-65 option is new for BA I guess, since their retirement age has now gone up internally and the ICAO change hasn't yet come into force. Are you certain that it will this year? I thought JM gave the impression that he didn't know when it would exactly.

no sponsor
5th Sep 2006, 13:49
That sounds about right; my notes aren't very good...

I do recall however that he did say Captains would go to the RHS on a F/O salary after the age of 60. How does that fit into your understanding?

EGBKFLYER
5th Sep 2006, 14:07
As long as the overflight issue remains in place, a 60+ capt has limitations but could fly in the RHS (with a younger capt). Once overflight is solved by ICAO, the problem goes away as capts can fly anywhere til they're 65. Previously, no 60+ crew of whatever flavour existed at BA because they retired at 55.