PDA

View Full Version : 56 (r) squadron

maverick.86
3rd Sep 2006, 19:11
does anyone know the fate of 56 sqn, i heard a rumour they are to standown as of july 07, is standing down the same as disbandment???

Archimedes
3rd Sep 2006, 19:37
maverick,

It doesn't necessarily mean disbandment, though this is most common: when 216 Squadron stood down as a Buccaneer unit, it didn't disband: it simply acquired new aircraft (Tri*) in a new location at a later date.

I would guess that as one of the RAF's most senior numberplates, 56 stands a reasonable chance of standing up/reforming as a Typhoon unit, its years as a Reserve unit (which doesn't count towards reckonable continuous service, or at least hasn't to date) notwithstanding.

passpartout
3rd Sep 2006, 20:17
Ah, but it's been a reserve sqn for some years now.

I think that time spent as (R) doesn't count towards seniority

Archimedes
3rd Sep 2006, 21:28
Er...

Despite that, 56 is still high up in the order of seniority. IIRC from having had to work this out a while ago (don't ask...), 56 is senior to other likely Typhoon units, despite having been a reserve sqn since 91/92-ish.

It isn't by any means certain that 56 will reform, but it is in with a chance of so doing, particularly if 43 and 111 are run on beyond the date of the formation of the fifth Typhoon squadron. There are a whole host of complications, though, not least of which is whether or not the Air Staff ignore the rules about seniority (which they have been known to do).