PDA

View Full Version : License route

frobe
3rd Sep 2006, 09:19
Hi!

I read through the sticky post with the frequently posted questions, but couldn't find a satisfactory answer there.
Sorry if this is a recurring question, but here goes:

The other day I picked up my ATPL ground studies books at the post office.

I will start my studies this coming week, and hopefully take the exams next summer.

My first goal has been to get an IR, but due to the nature of JAA, I am doing the whole ATPL theory.

I have some options for my flying training.

1. IR single engine
2. IR multi engine (much more expensive)

Then 3. CPL single engine

Is this all I need?
Do I REALLY need IR ME, or can I buy a MCC course or a type rating of some sort after my CPL?

I'm thinking can I fly a year or so on Caravans to get my hours up, then buy a 737 type rating or MCC course to be considered for interviews?

Or do I really need that Piper Seneca ME license?
This confuses me, as I have spoken to many airline captains that say the fly every day B737's but are not allowed to fly Cherokees because their licens has lapsed.

This makes me believe that I don't need a ME to get a type rating on an A320 or B737.

Am I totally wrong?

How about getting my SE IR, then adding a ME rating after my CPL?

In the provess I am really most eager to get the SE IR, as I currently co own a Piper Arrow and would like to use it more in my current job, but I am truly interested in a career change down the road.

In this way, I will have my SE IR and be able to log even more hours flying my Cherokee to work than I can do now while I study for the CPL, ME or whatever I need.

So, can I get SE IR, CPL, MCC and B737 type?

Or must I have ME small piston AC before type on large jets?
If so, do I have to do a IR ME, or can I add ME with a shorter course later?

Sorry about this long post,

Frode

scroggs
3rd Sep 2006, 17:34
Background Info (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134076)

Scroggs

davidathomas42
4th Sep 2006, 01:54
You have to have a Multi Engine rating to fly any aircraft with more than one engine,,, you also need an individual type rateing for any type jet aircraft or piston engine aircraft over a certain weight and seating capacity,, not sure of the weights as I have both JAA and FAA CPL's and it all gets muggled up in my head, read the books.

in order to do a IR you have o pass some of the ATPL theory exams, and to do the CPL you have to pass some of them,, its worth just doing the lot in one go and then there behind you forever!

my advise is think where you want to be and look at the steps very clearly!! its far too easy to waste £thousends in training.

not sure what the 737 guy is on about,,, no airline will look at you without a current multi engine IR frozen atpl,, its not restricted to the senece or what ever multi you do your ME exam on,, its limited to that catagory and type,,, so you could fly a seneca,,, an aztec,,, a beech duchess,,,,but you cant fly the 737 cos you need a type rating in it.