PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary paint scheme

Sandy Wings
2nd Sep 2006, 17:14
I understand that 43 squadron at Leuchars have been told by a very senior officer to return this jet to it's original shabby grey - after it was especially painted for the squadron's 90th anniversary.
Surely at this time when moral and PR are critical this is a shocking decision!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/DarrenBe/Leuchars%2029th%20July%202006/ZG757.jpg

The Helpful Stacker
2nd Sep 2006, 17:24
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/DarrenBe/Leuchars%2029th%20July%202006/ZG757.jpg

maxburner
2nd Sep 2006, 17:32
The Fighting Cocks have done a great job - nice paint scheme guys.

SASless
2nd Sep 2006, 17:34
Should not combat readiness trump things ceremonial or am I missing something?

modtinbasher
2nd Sep 2006, 17:55
Sandy Wings

I wonder (as an ex Saints guy who has an idea how things work (or used to))at Picketstone), how much the new paint job cost, and, although it's mega-mega good for morale, how much the eventual bill will be to go back to the nasty previous colour?

It's well sad but there's no such thing as a free lunch any more! Every penny is costed these days, and despite that facilities are available, the equipment exists, the paint costs bu**er all in the long run, the troops wages have already been allocated, and, they've taken immense pride in what they've achieved, it's still "cost money."

Isn't it all a total load of ****e? Let's say the police are doing a "special duty." All costed, same rules apply, operation cost £250K, according to the press. So what were they doing with their time?

What would they have been doing with their time? Harrassing humble motorists no doubt.

None of this crap existed before we employed a nation of bean counters. It's all about "added value." I'd just like somebody on high to tell the truth. What is the added value? If an operation costs "x" on it's own without the "added value," and then we cost it down to the 'n' th degree, assuming the cost of that effort is then added to the cost of the activity in question, what has been actually achieved?

I'll tell you what, Freedom of Information. All it needed is somebody to say, "how much did Sandy's curtain cost in his Officers' Married Quarter (er, palatial mansion) "?

So there we are. The end justifies the means. If only I could turn the clock back....."just paint the fecking things" springs to mind.

And "what a bloody good job you've done" when I see them!

microlight AV8R
2nd Sep 2006, 17:56
SAS...

Combat readiness not diminished.

BVR intercept... The plane could be all the colours of the rainbow. Other than that, intercepting stray airliners & civil aircraft hardly requires a stealthy appearence.

Commemorative colours schemes are a tradition which are good for esprit de corps. Goodness only knows what the thoughts of the spaghetti hatted chap were to order a re-paint. If the initial post is correct.

Not a fan of the F3, but it does look very smart.

The Helpful Stacker
2nd Sep 2006, 18:12
SASless - re these combat ready or do they remove all the shooty bits when they slap the paint on?
Clicky (http://ryusey.hp.infoseek.co.jp/dback50th.jpg)
Clicky (http://amv83.net/navycag/vfa/VFA115%20nigrafalls.jpeg)
What about the Thunderbirds? Do they rip out all the bang wizz gear from their planes?

SALAD DODGER
2nd Sep 2006, 18:17
At least we know what the F3 will look like when it retires to Thunder City! Fu"*ing cool..

Kitbag
2nd Sep 2006, 18:39
More likely a case that some flunky forgot to ask the VSO permission. Can't have too much initiative from the (relatively) Junior Officer Corps, can we? Changing the scheme now will cost the same as changing it at the end of the anniversary period, but will undoubtedly dump morale a lot lower than it should be.

Leave it as is.

BTW it looks pretty good to me too,

Always a Sapper
2nd Sep 2006, 18:45
Awesome paint job… well done the Fighting Cocks….. :ok:

btw, how are the ‘chickens’ in the old cottage these days??? was soooo tempting to introduce one to 'mr paxo' when on nights :E

Sandy Wings
2nd Sep 2006, 18:58
Modtinbasher

lets presume that the jet needed a fresh paint job? The only difference is that the paint shop had to find some black paint vice the air defence grey! The paint shop guys would surely have been delighted to have worked with a different colour??!!
Anyway, what ever happened to all that green paint that was used to paint the grass for royal visits???!!!

Sandy Wings

PICKS135
2nd Sep 2006, 19:22
btw, how are the ‘chickens’ in the old cottage these days??? was soooo tempting to introduce one to 'mr paxo' when on nights
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/f4phixeruk/DSCF0015.jpg
As the pic shows they were both alive and well on the 29th July
Heres another view of the F3 on start up also on the 29th July
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/f4phixeruk/portsidewithcrew.jpg

SirToppamHat
2nd Sep 2006, 19:57
ISTR there being a 'Black Mike' F4 on 228 OCU at Leuchars, and wasn't there a Lightning in a similar colour scheme in the distant past? If this is a throwback, rather than something new and offensive, I don't really see what the problem is. I suspect Kitbag has a point! Some VSOs are easily offended.

As for cost, surely the paint is simply as used on the trg fleet?

STH

PICKS135
2nd Sep 2006, 20:12
Black Mike is still at Leuchars, and no doubt will be dragged out for 'kiddies' to have there photos taken in on the 9th September.

ZH875
2nd Sep 2006, 20:40
Wow, it actually makes the F3 look good.

Lets hope they keep it for the full year.

Party 7-Pack
2nd Sep 2006, 21:15
There's actually nothing to worry about, it's emulsion.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
2nd Sep 2006, 23:08
Should not combat readiness trump things ceremonial or am I missing something?Maybe

http://www.usaaf-noseart.co.uk/randielou-1.jpg

http://www.usaaf-noseart.co.uk/onceinwhile-1.jpg

http://www.usaaf-noseart.co.uk/kingbee-1.jpg

http://www.usaaf-noseart.co.uk/ladyger.jpg

http://www.mrprophead.com/SSGT_BRUCE/56200016L.jpg (http://www.mrprophead.com/SSGT_BRUCE/56200016.jpg)

http://www.mrprophead.com/SSGT_BRUCE/56200011L.jpg (http://www.mrprophead.com/SSGT_BRUCE/56200011.jpg)

The last one is still contraversial...

allan907
3rd Sep 2006, 02:11
So c'mon - name and shame. Who is the 'alleged' VSO who is 'alleged' to have given the order? A quid says he is NOT a blunty!! (Sorry, couldn't resist that one)

Wee Jock McPlop
3rd Sep 2006, 20:30
POINTS FOR

Is it for a special occasion - yes.
Is it good for morale - you bet.
Will it be good PR (including the airshow) - yes.
Does it look the biz (even on an F3;) ) - yes.
Does it restrict the operational capability of the aircraft - no.

POINTS AGAINST

Will it offend the Fun Police - oh yes.:ugh:

So just what is the problem? If indeed this VSO is bothered by this Gucci paint job, then why on earth has he let the checkerboard blast wall continue to exist? Probably can see that on Google Earth. Both top ideas and good on the funky chickens for doing them! :D

WJMcP

ilikeblacktornado
3rd Sep 2006, 21:05
Will it be good PR (including the airshow) - yes.
Will it be allowed on display if this officer does not like it? Being "an anorak", "a spottor" and a "Tax Payer (and plenty of it)", paying to get in to the air show and traviling a long way to get there - 43's Black Tornado had better be out on show so I can take my pictures of it and it had better not be in a hangir. I dont wnat to just look at everyone elses pictures! Is this officer going to be at the show? If so i think he/she or it better stay away from the spottors if this airplane isnt out for all of us to see and take our pictures.

SASless
3rd Sep 2006, 21:16
In a formation of a thousand or so....broad daylight in clear air...throwing contrails....I don't reckon the Nose Art would harm the concealment of the aircraft from enemy observers. Combat boxes kinda stood out don't you reckon when you had the best part of two Airforces (as in Groups of Wings) thundering into Germany looking for a fight.

alex_holbrook
3rd Sep 2006, 22:42
The paint scheme looks bloody brilliant. Someone should teach that VSO rotter a lesson. My grandad served on 43(b) during the war, so I almost feel connected to it. Do they not deserve it? The tax payers are complaining, but who's out there risking their be-hinds for the buggers almost everyday? er.........

Sandy Wings
4th Sep 2006, 07:47
Will it be allowed on display if this officer does not like it?

This was the point of my whole thread! The said VSO has decreed that it will NOT be at the Airday and will be re-painted grey soonest! I can only imagine if he left the VIP tent what reaction he would get from our friendly spotters!!!:ugh: :ugh:

spectre150
4th Sep 2006, 08:40
I agree with ZH875 - it does make the F3 look good. Mind you , black even makes the Dominie look good. I remember we had a black GR1 with a yellow stick man on the tail on 16 Sqn in the 80s (70th anniversary or somesuch event). Lots of stories around at the time about a 'secret' black buccaneer some years previously).

WhiteOvies
4th Sep 2006, 09:59
Having been involved in getting a different jet painted for a special event I can say it's a nightmare of permissions and signatures and takes a while. Dosen't make it any less worthwhile when you see 'your' aircraft flying.
The issue may be that they have painted the Radome which can cause snags with performance. Not convinced that matters in the F3 though!:}. It certainly was one reason why our aircraft had to have a regulation nosecone.

Personally I think it looks pretty good, but the Seniors get annoyed if someone takes the initiative on this sort of thing. If you don't ask then it can't be refused but you need to have a paintshop who are willing to do it without questions.

QFIhawkman
4th Sep 2006, 13:00
I agree with ZH875 - it does make the F3 look good. Mind you , black even makes the Dominie look good. I remember we had a black GR1 with a yellow stick man on the tail on 16 Sqn in the 80s (70th anniversary or somesuch event). Lots of stories around at the time about a 'secret' black buccaneer some years previously).

We did indeed have a black GR1, 1989 IIRC! Was at LBH on 16 Sqn at the time and remember it well. (I seem to remember it was painted pink not long after, for some reason!)

movadinkampa747
4th Sep 2006, 13:03
(I seem to remember it was painted pink not long after, for some reason!)

Was it so you could do a flypast at the Gay Pride Parade?:eek:

QFIhawkman
4th Sep 2006, 13:10
Were it 2006 and not 89, I wouldn't rule it out!

Luckily it were a man's mob then!

(Cue Hovis theme tune)

Sandy Wings
4th Sep 2006, 13:48
WhiteOvies

You are correct about the radome, there were some issues about radar performance reference the paint!
As for permission from the VSO, his outer office were asked and apparently approved it!! Something about communication and teddy bears out of cots!!!:ugh:

allan907
4th Sep 2006, 14:12
So, c'mon Sandy Wings - if you know the outer office then you know who the VSO is - NAME AND SHAME !:E

Sandy Wings
4th Sep 2006, 20:58
allan907, I am sure that you'll understand why I cannot name anyone on this forum but if you are in the Airforce and keep up to date with RAF News you'll see that there have been a couple of VSO changes published in it?! :)

ilikeblacktornado
4th Sep 2006, 21:40
:uhoh: is his next job in charge of a paint shop somewhere - should be Vallie - plenty of black jets there

Gainesy
5th Sep 2006, 05:34
up to date with RAF News

...that'll be a first.:)

excrewingbod
6th Sep 2006, 12:01
I've heard elsewhere that ZG757 is not going to be on show this weekend. There was talk of it being parked up with a couple of other 'specials' for a static display with a difference.

Still at least I got a piccy of it back in July (I took that picture linked to the 1st/2nd post). It certainly looked the business in black.

On a different note what/who are VSO's?

foldingwings
6th Sep 2006, 14:29
Lots of stories around at the time about a 'secret' black buccaneer some years previously).

But with the same result! 16 Sqn painted a Bucc black (with gold saint on tail) to commemorate the withdrawal of the Bucc from service in RAFG. The Staff Officers at the aforementioned HQ reacted as follows to the plans to celebrate the Bucc's departure:

1. The plan to fly 2 Buccs around the World without air-to-air refuelling (supported by a VC10, before their tanking days) was cancelled (because if they did so, they would put the Tornado to shame) For the sceptics, it could be done, I planned it and with 23K of fuel (inc Bomb Bay) the longest leg from Hickom to McLellan was just achievable, however there might have been some hairy landings on shortish runways in the South Pacific.

2. The hangar party was cancelled because it was deemed to be an inappropriate event; all the pan-NATO invitations had to be withdrawn.

3. The Black Bucc had to be repainted ASAP (but not before many pictures had been printed of it over the Mohne Dam; they still exist today).

The end result was that the Most SO in RAFG came to the squadron for lunch, apologised for the actions of his staff, informed us that he had not been engaged in any of the above matters and informed us that 'heads would roll'. One of the best CsinC of the period and a good guy, to boot (his son commands a GR4 sqn today)!

Foldy

PICKS135
7th Sep 2006, 15:59
Saw the offending 43 [f] sqn a/c today. STILL black:D :D

BeefyBoy
7th Sep 2006, 19:15
http://www.arni.co.uk/pics/beef/image001.jpgThe Black 16 Sqn Buccaneer - I had the "honour" of marshalling it back onto the HAS neck. I still have a photo of the "beastie" somewhere. It did look the "Bee's Knees" :ok:

country calls
7th Sep 2006, 19:44
Black Tornados are nowt new, TTTE had their display jet painted gloss black for its final two seasons then it moved to XV (Asre) Sqn, where the aircrew loved to refer to it as the 'black bomber' while the groundies called it the 'black pig'.

Very early GR1 as I recall and had no facility for fitting wing pylons, as the bits had been robbed years before. It was therefore used as a fighter bounce (but not for long, no fin fuel either) Ideal display jet, would have made a great MacRoberts Reply with a decent tartan cheat line

The VSO needs a kicking, spotters :sad: love this kind of stuff and they are soon the only friends we may have in civvy street!

Party 7-Pack
7th Sep 2006, 20:59
I think they should make it the lead ac in Saturdays 'Diamond 9'...

Sandy Wings
8th Sep 2006, 07:26
I understand that the Black jet actually flew in the Diamond 9 practice yesterday at Leuchars! Guess they must have been down to the last few jets for it to HAVE to fly? Shame cos it would have looked brilliant in the 9 on Saturday, i think that the crowds would really appreciate it! Maybe the VSO has has a change of heart? :ugh:

LOTA
8th Sep 2006, 16:07
Yes, Mr Wings, I saw the pictures of it in the middle of the Diamond 9 formation today. Good pix, looked smart! Wonder what objection the 'VSO' has to the paint job?

Mmmmnice
8th Sep 2006, 16:27
If that's all the VSO has on his sloip chit to worry about he must be surplus to requirements. How about somebody does something about the aircraft whose current colour scheme is sand&dust stuck to leaking oil? - discuss......

buoy15
8th Sep 2006, 21:24
Black
Good Flight Safety colour - stands out like a dog's b*llocks from 5 miles on a grey day
But I suppose that isn't important to this VSO knob
By the way, pink made a surprise comeback in the Spring Collection this year:8