PDA

View Full Version : Sound barrier

22/04
1st Sep 2006, 22:17
Just watched this film Anyone know what the "Promethius" really was-looks very real. And where was the filming done (the airfeild with the long grass and the Amphibian in the big black hangar)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
1st Sep 2006, 22:49
As I remember it, the fast jet was a Supermarine Swift.

ORAC
2nd Sep 2006, 07:59
Second Swift prototype - Nene powered VV119. This first flew on 27/3/1950 as a type 528 ( new design swept wings and tail combined with an Attacker fuselage including the tailwheel undercarriage - itself a carry over from the Spiteful).

It was soon modifed to a type 535. Modifications included a change from tailwheel undercarriage to nosewheel; a longer pointed nose; a kinked wing leading edge; a larger fuselage diameter to accommodate an afterburner; increased fuel capacity and provision for four cannon in the wings. In this form the aircraft flew again on 23/8/1950.

Starred as the Prometheus whilst on test after modification.

chevvron
2nd Sep 2006, 08:11
Filmed at Chilbolton; the main flight shed still exists as a farm building.

22/04
2nd Sep 2006, 09:54
Thanks everyone

chevvron
2nd Sep 2006, 11:55
Forgot to add that the flight shed was I believe, post war having been built next to an existing T2.
You can get an airfield plan dating to early 50's from RAF Museum or After the Battle.
There's now large SATCOM dish in the middle of the old airfield; the present Chilbolton Airstrip is actually south of the original airfield on one of the old admin sites.

chiglet
2nd Sep 2006, 15:19
That wing's a bit thin for four cannons....:E I always thought that they were under the belly/intakes......but I COULD be wrong....:ok:
watp,iktch

ORAC
2nd Sep 2006, 15:34
Nope, VV119 had provision for 4 x Hispano Mk V, like the Attacker and the original Hunter design. It was changed to two cannon under the intakes for WJ960, the first true Swift prototype....

chiglet
2nd Sep 2006, 16:49
Thanks Orac, you learn someting every day...well I do :ok:
watp,iktch

ORAC
2nd Sep 2006, 20:39
Proved to be a wonderful design change - till they actually had to fire them - I believe..... :ouch:

Footless Halls
2nd Sep 2006, 20:41
Fascinated this topic has come up. When I was a Nipper this film used to be a major event for me when it came up on TV.
A couple of years ago I acquired it on DVD (coupled with 'Hobson's Choice', aspects of which seem rather more autobiographical nowadays) and have watched it several times.
It really is a rotten film, but some of the filming in the air is just awe-inspiring. The flight to Cairo in the two-seater Vampire (was that possible, btw?) is great and I still think of it every time as SLF on the ZRH run over Paris.
Any one else got any thoughts about this one?