PDA

View Full Version : Transferring XP updates

spannersatcx
1st Sep 2006, 15:39
Am about to install a new hard drive and reinstall XP. I have SP2 on a CD is it possible to back up and install all the updates since then rather than downloading them all again? If so how? Had a search around and can't find anything.:{

Or if I ghost the old hard drive to the new one and do an XP repair, will the updates still be there?:ugh:

frostbite
1st Sep 2006, 16:57
Considering all the problems some of them have caused, you could be better off without them!

BOAC
2nd Sep 2006, 08:22
There was a link to a prog for slipstreaming updates into the SP2 CD. If you cannot find it I believe I have a prog on a mag DVD I can email.

Saab Dastard
2nd Sep 2006, 14:06
if I ghost the old hard drive to the new one and do an XP repair, will the updates still be there?

Yes - and you should not need to do an XP repair. But I guess that may depend on how you perform the ghosting, from a smaller to a larger disk.

SD

spannersatcx
2nd Sep 2006, 18:10
I was hoping a repair may clear out the crud and speed things up a little.

It will be from a smaller to larger HDD. Reading up on Norton Ghost, it shouldn't be a problem.

But should things not go as they should and I have to reinstall or repair, didn't want to wait for hours whilst XP updates downloaded and installed.

Seems there are lots pf $NTuninstallKB etc, but none of the actual install files:(