PDA

View Full Version : Which Straw Broke the Camel’s back?

WorkingHard
1st Sep 2006, 15:37
I have been flying in Europe as a company pilot for several decades. I have also had my own very trusty SEP for just over 20 years and have thoroughly enjoyed what I have done. I have now decided it is time to quit private flying. Why? Well the title suggest something of this but it is really a combination of thing – in no particular order –
1) Continued restricted access to many class D areas
2) Being treated like a pariah by some (not many) controllers
3) Airfields near to towns and cities disappearing
4) Cost of using “airports”
5) General view by airports of GA. For example when an airport puts “International” in the title watch out.
6) CAA living in the past with archaic restrictions.
7) Lack of proper LARS service OCAS
8) Idiotic airways (e.g. Channel Islands to accommodate the BN Islander?)
9) Military conflicts
10) Maintenance costs
11) Mode S (what benefit to me when flying OCAS)
12) Many more but others may add to this list.

I sometimes look back and see where I have been and at what cost. Absolute joy years ago but now everyone wants to “screw” GA. Who in God’s name needs “handling” at somewhere like LBA for example?
The list goes on. I have sold my SEP (full airways and took me and mine all over western Europe in comfort and safety.) and cannot see myself buying again until the present regime of Mode S and European regulation has settled down. I really do think there may well be some “cheap” aircraft for sale over the next few years as more people feel as do I.
I shall keep my licence and rating up to date just in case.
I shall read very carefully what other "friends" in this very small world of GA have to say and may be I shall get some sage advice.
WH

UV
1st Sep 2006, 21:29
Workinghard
I agree and I know a few people who are watching fuel prices and thinking of the same thing when it hits £1.50 a litre...Watch this space!
UV

B2N2
2nd Sep 2006, 12:26
I used to know somebody who did not fly in the UK anymore because of all the above reasons.
He would come to the US once a year to fly 50hrs in 2 weeks;
said it gave him enough satisfaction to last for the rest of the year.

172driver
2nd Sep 2006, 18:23
WorkingHard,

You are probably right about the UK, there are however quite enjoyable alternatives around Europe. While of course nowhere near the US experience (but Europe never was and will never be, for a whole load of reasons), flying in places like Spain, Portugal, Austria, France, to name a few, is lightyears better than the UK. No probs with class D, the CAA are far away, and landing fees usually negligable, even at most big 'international' airports. Don't let the hi-vis-vest mentality put you off - there's life in them thar airways beyond the Channel !

Bright-Ling
2nd Sep 2006, 19:21
1) Continued restricted access to many class D areas

Great - it works.

How many whingeing PPLs left.....??????:ugh: