PDA

View Full Version : Connecting 2 PCs Wirelessly?

mcdhu
1st Sep 2006, 13:58
My current setup involves a Netgear wireless modem router connected to a Dell Dimension PC via an ethernet cable thus giving a simple wireless network for my laptop to feed off.

My question is can I make a second PC (not yet procured) connect to the network wirelessly rather than via ethernet cable, if so, what is the widget I need to specify/install in it to enable it to connect to the network?

Easy on the techspeak please.
Thanks,
mcdhu

mikeddavies
1st Sep 2006, 14:11
Certainly can - but depends on the model of the wireless router. Easiest for a desktop (most current laptops incluse wireless connectivity without any extra "bits") is a USB adaptor, do not need to even open thecomputer to install it! Please advise model of ADSL/modem/wireless router.
MikeD

airborne_artist
1st Sep 2006, 14:22
You want a USB or PCI wifi adaptor. About £20-£30, and should self-install in a few minutes. You could almost certainly spec. it in the new machine.

Examples:

USB adaptors (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/products/a671x1y0z1p0s0n0m0)

PCI adaptors (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/products/a668x1y0z1p0s0n0m0)

The advantage of the USB adaptors is that they can be used on other PCs very quickly, though I should say that two out of three USB adaptors supplies by Netgear that I bought two years ago have been replaced under warranty. You do also have to have the adaptor protruding from the case (they are about 3" long) or attached to the USB port with a cable.

mcdhu
1st Sep 2006, 15:04
Great, thanks guys.

Mike D, it's a ''Netgear DG834G v2 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router'' and works a treat in the current config.

cheers,
mcdhu

mikeddavies
1st Sep 2006, 15:44
My two sons and I are all using Netgear ADSL/Routers/wireless etc. On my setup I am using their WG111T USB adaptor which should be compatible with your 834G (which is 802.11g ) - comes with alead to allow for siting of the adaptor. I have found it best to keep to the same make of kit!
Good luck
MikeD

mcdhu
1st Sep 2006, 15:57
Thanks Mike. Coincidentally, one of the airborne_artist's links above shows the WG111T for £38 or so. So thanks to you both.

Regards,
mcdhu