PDA

View Full Version : How high up is the overhead panel on a large Boeing or Airbus?

Student Pilot
1st Sep 2006, 01:02
Hi all,

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I'm relatively short (5'3-5'4) and I have concerns about being able to fly large commercial jets, which is my dream. My arms aren't very long either. I've seen pictures of cockpits and in some of them, the overhead panel appears to require a bit of a stretch. So my question is do you think I'd have problems reaching the panel?

low n' slow
1st Sep 2006, 13:55
I think you'll find ways around it. I flew with a female commander of rather small stature and she used her pencil to flip various switches... I wouldn't worry. Perhaps though, some types are easier to adapt to than others. But dont worry mate.

/LnS

Student Pilot
1st Sep 2006, 15:18
Thank you very much, I appreciate your answer.

Jimmy The Big Greek
1st Sep 2006, 18:23
hhmmm, that doesn't sound very safe:eek:

I hope she has two pencils incase she drops one :}

low n' slow
3rd Sep 2006, 12:31
Yeah, I know, I thought so too. In some cases she would use the grabhandle for seat adjustment in the ceiling to hoist herself up so that she could reach the airconditioning panel. There's heaps of little trix you will learn.
/LnS

cruisercruiser
30th Jan 2007, 19:23
Hi guys,

You might want to take a look here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3098282#post3098282

Cheers,

cruiser

Dream Land
31st Jan 2007, 02:35
I know of at least one Captain at Jet Blue near the 5'.0" range, he has no problems. :ok: