PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP migration

Tone
31st Aug 2006, 18:05
I can't believe this, I have a duff base unit with a legal copy of XP. I want to replace the PC with a new one and load my existing copy of XP on the new machine. Presumably it would need to be re-activated so I phoned Microsoft for their advice about doing this. After a long conversation with their help desk I learn that this is not allowed, each copy of XP is registered to a particular motherboard, chuck that away and your copy of XP may as well go with it. Can this be true, or did I just get a Richardhead on the helpdesk?

Anyone out there done this successfully - and if so how?

ps I am not going to change to Linux so don't blast me with that one, thanks.

Tone

spannersatcx
31st Aug 2006, 19:24
They are talking out of their backside!

Here is an extract from MS Win XP EULA

13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

mikeddavies
31st Aug 2006, 20:43
If it is an OEM version of XP (usually supplied with a pre-built system) it is theoretically tied to the motherboard - you can change other hardware however - but may need to reactivate.. A retail version, more expensive, isn't. If your motherboard fails on an OEM install the word on the street appears to be that Microsoft will usually allow the reactivation with a new motherboard, but this may need several attemps with different call centre people.
Good luck

MikeD

Lost_luggage34
31st Aug 2006, 22:50
This link from the depths of my favourites may be worth a read ;
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

TheSailor
1st Sep 2006, 00:20
Hello,

This link from the depths of my favourites may be worth a read ;
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Great post...for those who use Genuine Windows XP....:D

Thank's for them. :ok:

Regards. http://photobucket.com/albums/v509/Bebermaur/th_bye.gif

Tone
1st Sep 2006, 11:41
My thanks to all those who have replied - this subject seems to be something of a minefield. A comment from one of the links reads,

"If you get a new computer, you are entitled to remove Windows XP from the one that is being junked, and install the same Windows XP on the new machine — but you will have to do the reactivation by a voice call and explain (unless, as was just mentioned, 120 days have passed since the activation was last performed)."

Since no changes have been made to the defunct system for over a year and since it was a retail copy of XP I should be able to reinstall in a new machine without any problems and it will not need reactivation. I am not holding my breath on this one, I recognise that it's me versus the immovable object.

Tone

ps how do you get quotes from a previous reply into one of those smart box jobs?

spannersatcx
1st Sep 2006, 15:34
If you are installing a retail version onto a new hard drive/pc it will still need activating within 120 days on the new one.

BOAC
2nd Sep 2006, 17:44
I believe you are 'allowed' to change a certain number of parts on the motherboard, ie processor, drives, board itself etc, all with different 'scores', and somehow Windows 'tots up' the points until you get to a limit, when you have to reactivate XP. I have also been told that an OEM copy should be reactivated by the issuing company?

vapilot2004
3rd Sep 2006, 04:44
If the copy of XP you have is OEM and is customized, you may find it won't install. More likely, however the disk will run and you will then need to activate after installing. Use the product key on the duffed computer to install.

If you run into activation issues, call the 800 number and Microsoft can override for you. It is not usually a problem to do so.