PDA

View Full Version : Dutch F16 pilot killed in Afghanistan

abbotyobs
31st Aug 2006, 17:44
Bad news from F16.net
http://www.f-16.net/news_article1960.html

"August 31, 2006 (by Lieven Dewitte) - A Dutch pilot died on Thursday when his F-16 fighter jet crashed in southern Afghanistan. The plane crashed around 7 a.m. after making a distress call, but did not report "enemy action," a NATO statement said.

Dutch fully armed F-16AM's on a mission over Afghanistan.
"The plane was flying at a great height when the accident occurred, which means it can be ruled out that the craft was shot down. We therefore assume it was an accident," the ministry said in a statement.

The F-16 was early thursday morning returning from a planned mission to Helmand, a province south of Uruzgan where the Dutch are active.

The aircraft crashed in the province of Ghazni, north of where the Dutch are active. It came down from great height.

According Dutch Defence sources out of reach of known weapons installations.

A second Dutch F-16 accompanying the unfortunate F-16, circled in the neighbourhood until rescue and recovery forces arrived.

An American rescueteam recovered the remains of the pilot and his aircraft. The location of the crash site was withheld for security reasons.

The 29-year-old pilot was the third Dutch soldier to die in Afghanistan. Two Dutchman were among the dead in a helicopter crash in Paktia Province in July.

The Netherlands is a key contributor to a multinational force that took command of security operations in volatile southern Afghanistan from the coalition at the start of August, amid the deadliest upsurge in violence since the fall of the Taliban regime in late 2001.

Canadian Maj. Gen. Angus Watt, head of the NATO force's air operations, said the death of the pilot - who was not identified - was a tragic loss. "We will continue with the mission undeterred," he said."

My thoughts go out to the family and all involved.
RIP

gashman
31st Aug 2006, 18:43
sad news....

MisterBliss
31st Aug 2006, 19:20
Very sad news indeed.

According to the spottinggroup Volkel site, the F-16 crashed was the J-364 and the 29 year old pilot was from the 312th squadron from Afb. Volkel.

I worked at the 312th for more than 5 years, many of my old friends and old co-workers are or were working in warzones.
When things like this happen, it makes you realize that its very close from your own front door.

Strength to the family and relatives.

Fox_4
31st Aug 2006, 19:32
A sad day indeed. Condolences to the family and to my friends at the 312th.

RIP

rudekid
31st Aug 2006, 23:36
Anyone seen if they've released a name yet? Please PM if you are able. Thanks.

DummyRun
31st Aug 2006, 23:44
Sad, V sad,
the F-16 "tesseral" departures from Kabul were awesome, just hope it wasn't one of those that went pear shaped.

Thoughts with the families.

MisterBliss
4th Sep 2006, 06:54
Acc. to Dutch news site the crashed pilot was Michael Donkervoort.
His body arrived yesterday in The Netherlands.