PDA

View Full Version : Check-In Staff with covered hair (BA)

flyyy
31st Aug 2006, 10:35
Hey
I lost my hair due to medication I had to take.
I work at Check-In for BA and I expect i am going to have some problems when I want to work with a scarf/hat on my head.
do not like wearing a wig, so that is not really an alternative.
does anyone know if there are stations where BA Check-In Agents are allowed to wear scarfes (for example for religious reasons)? Not talking about places where all ladies have to cover their hair, more like stations where "normally" leadies show their hair.
Or do you know about places where that is not allowed?

As a passenger, do you think it is a problem if a female check-in staff coveres her head?

Thanks a lot
Christina

bealine
31st Aug 2006, 17:10
Christina - I'm sure British Airways won't have a problem. You just need to discuss this issue with your Line Manager - don't let it be a shock to him / her. You should find British Airways management and staff very understanding and fully supportive!

Whatever else British Airways may be, it is a warm-hearted, caring company who treats staff very fairly when it comes to genuine sickness, sexism, racism, ageism (from October 1st) homophobism or any other reasons for discrimination you could mention!

At Groundstar, Gatwick, one girl needed to cover her head for medical reasons (we suspected chemotherapy, but didn't pry as she obviously didn't want any attention drawn to her headgear). Groundstar, who don't enjoy BA's reputation for fair treatment of staff, were happy to accept her on check-in so I'm sure we will!

Good Luck to you! If you want to PM me with details of which station you're at and your proper name I'll put it to our General Manager at Gatwick who also covers "The Regions" if you like!

Final 3 Greens
31st Aug 2006, 18:28
Hi Christina

As someone who flies most weeks, let me tell you that I don't really care what size you are, what colour you are or anything else :-)

If you are good at you job that's great and if you are pleasant, that's a bonus. Most of us are so pressured with work that we usually don't remember the good check in agents, which sounds rude, but it isn't because it means that they did their job well and we could devote our attention to the problems that we need to deal with.

You are, understandably, concerned about this but from a pax perspective its a non issue.

mfg

flybywire
31st Aug 2006, 18:58
Christina.......please do not worry about that!! Honestly it won't be a problem!! There are so many people who wear head scarves, for religious but also for medical reasons. Pasengers will not complain do not worry, if for example a passenger complains about a muslim woman for her headscarf then he/she had better stay at home and not travel at all! Plus remember BA have a ZERO tolerance policy for abusive/disruptive/offending people and with all respect, if someone is giving you a hard time you'd better not allow them on board at all!!! And remember, you'll have the power to deny boarding to anybody causing troubles to you or other passengers/colleagues with BA being on your side entirely, so do not be intimidated!:ok:

Just to say how normal it is for people to wear headscarves in this job, BA have set uniform rules about this, so you might want to give a look at the little booklet/BA intranet so that you can wear your scarf according to the uniform standars.

Do not worry honey and I hope you'll feel better soon!! :ok:

FBW xx

flyyy
31st Aug 2006, 20:04
thanks for all the replies!
good to hear what you said.
actually, i am not working for BA directly but for a handling agent. but I guess that if BA is ok with it, my employer should be ok as well.
will talk to my supervisor tomorrow and see what he sais.

again, thank you
Christina

SXB
31st Aug 2006, 22:03
As a frequent flyer I couldn't care less if a member of staff chooses to wear something on their head. I think you'll find most FFs are of the same opinion, we value the quality of the service over and above everything else.

Good luck !

Bangkokeasy
1st Sep 2006, 09:04
From a passenger point of view this is a complete non-issue, and I am certain it will not be for your employer. Do not worry about it!

I just hope that whatever it is you had to take medication for completely goes away.

Good luck!

DespairingTraveller
1st Sep 2006, 09:21
I have no idea whether BA or your employer will view this as an issue, but they shouldn't. From a passenger's perspective, I seriously doubt I would even notice, much less be bothered by it.

(I do remember check-in staff who are pleasant and good at their jobs, however - to the point of making sure that I go back to their positions on the next journey, if I see them. Since I am pressured, I take any action that smooths my way, and a good check-in agent is right up there at the top of the tree!)

I hope you're recovered from whatever your problem was, and are able to get on and enjoy your job!

flyyy
13th Sep 2006, 20:04
hey
i am back at work again.
my hair is growing back already, at the moment about 3mm...
I decided that wearing nothing is going to cause less questions than wearing a scarf or something else on my head.
Seems all of you were right. No complaints from passengers, some comments, but all of them friendly :-)
So if you see a girl with VERY short hair at check-in or at the gate come say "hello" to me.
Christina

SXB
13th Sep 2006, 22:00
Christina,
Great to hear you are back at work, I fly from Zurich all the time so the next time I will look for your name badge on checkin and say hello.