PDA

View Full Version : "PROGRESS HONG KONG" ??? What kind of name is that?

alohajec
31st Aug 2006, 01:15
Okay, let's have fun with THIS one. I saw the new flying baguette out on the ramp yesterday. It finally has a name, "Progress Hong Kong." What kind of @#%! name is that? I wonder if people can even pronounce it correctly. Is it supposed to be:

PRO-gress Hong Kong ("pro" as in "pro" sports) - or-
PROGRESS Hong Kong (as in "prawh-gress")

Sounds like more of a statement or a directive rather than a name. Regardless, names and liveries should be catchy and smart. This one leaves a lot to be desired.

Aloha.

Left Wing
31st Aug 2006, 05:28
Made by some one who speaks english as a 5th language; just like many adverts all over HK....

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: BTW I'm now connected to the Pizza hut help line call center in Manila when i order a pizza in HK....can you beat that !

alohajec
31st Aug 2006, 13:51
LOL. I love it. You're right...obviously someone who no speak England! LOL. It doesn't even make sense!!!

I ordered Pizza Hut today too but luckily my order came from HK Island and not Luzon! That's hilarious.

Aloha.

spannersatcx
31st Aug 2006, 14:02
seems more of a statement than a name, still don't understand it.:yuk:

alohajec
31st Aug 2006, 14:17
"Progress Hong Kong" sounds like you're commanding/directing someone [Hong Kong] to do something. It's just not very grammatically correct as a name :confused:

Aloha.

flyer_spotter
31st Aug 2006, 17:05
dats not even popa engalish :}

jobe
2nd Sep 2006, 02:06
I was certain that my "Kitty" would win. I'm Gutted.

Re-entry
2nd Sep 2006, 19:08
That's it, I have lost all faith in humanity. Is that actually the name or is this a wind up?

christep
4th Sep 2006, 05:15
That is what is painted on the side of B-LAD I'm afraid...

It seems more and more clear to this humble SLF that CX's focus is turning northwards so decent English is less and less of a priority; taking so few non-Chinese cabin crew is another example, despite the fact that experience and customer feedback must tell them that other regional nationalities get far better reviews, at least from the gwailos who make up a substantial proportion of the front cabins.

A minor example, but telling I think: it is normal procedure for the ISM to introduce themselves to all the Diamonds on board, time permiting. I reckon Chinese ISMs find that the time permits about 20% of the time; non-Chinese about 80%.

Re-entry
5th Sep 2006, 12:09
It reminds me of the sort of 'names' bars in japan use. Meaningless, disjointed words that have no real meaning in english, but are just decorative in some way (to some anyway).

NdekePilot
7th Sep 2006, 14:30
Nearly as good as SAA's adverts on the sides of Hong Kong buses......

180 Degree Centigrade Flatbeds.....

Yes, look closely. Damn, would THAT be an uncomfortable ride!!

NP:E :E

dragon501
8th Sep 2006, 14:59
Well that def beats my local 'grocery' shop called HAPPY CONVENIENT PALACE hahahahahahahhahahahhaaaa...... Puts a smile on yer face though...

NdekePilot
10th Sep 2006, 23:56
.........and Willy Convenient Store near Langham Place....
NP:uhoh: :uhoh:

makchunyinjohnny
5th Oct 2006, 15:47
I know people in Hong Kong makes these kind of funny mistakes as they don't speak english as a first language, but I think the people in Hong Kong deserves sympathy if not support from you guys. Why don't you try and speak cantonese, I am sure make this silly mistake like that as well, especially for those who are expatriates from overseas.

Johnny

jtr
6th Oct 2006, 01:09
Johnny, many do, and are not offended when the locals laugh because your "nine" sounds like dog, or plastic, or penis, or mince, or... whatever else gauw sounds like. I for one think some of the signs are hilarious, and the day we can't laugh at it, we may as well all move to Germany.