PDA

View Full Version : Future Reds Aircraft

Nige321
30th Aug 2006, 22:58
A comment on the thread about Mondays TV program got us wondering about what aircraft the Reds will use in the future
The FI of the current aircraft won't last forever, so will they have 128s, refurb the existing, move to Eurofighters... Harriers...???:ooh:
ANy thoughts??
N321

Pontius Navigator
30th Aug 2006, 23:04
We had a presentation by a Red earlier this year. He reckoned, IIRC, that the present jets are good for 10 years but that the 128 will be too expensive as a realistic alternative.

Some of the Hawks are the original airframes.

Will we have the Reds in 10 years time? Will we be willing to let all the continental air forces have display teams and the one air force that does not have a national name not have one?

Dop
30th Aug 2006, 23:06
UAVs flown from a portakabin, surely?

movadinkampa747
30th Aug 2006, 23:14
Potential contenders are the propeller driven Shorts Tucano trainer, or the Franco-German Alpha Jet, and there are a number in storage with the French and German air forces. The aircraft type that will replace the Hawk has not yet been officially announced. The Bosses at MOD indicate that another all-British type is the current favourite, the Gnat. Sources indicate that the RAF is currently negotiating with a number of private owners to lease ten Gnats for the 2007 and 2008 display seasons. The remaining Hawks from the Reds are needed for flying training due to fatigue problems with the existing Hawk fleet.

While the contractual aspects are still waiting to be finalised, Red Arrows team members are excited by the possibility of displaying the famous British trainer to the public next year.

Glass Half Empty
30th Aug 2006, 23:20
Is it April 1st????????????????

Tandemrotor
30th Aug 2006, 23:41
Will we have the Reds in 10 years time? Will we be willing to let all the continental air forces have display teams and the one air force that does not have a national name not have one?

If the 'reds' are still in government, do you really think you have to ask that question?

Isn't the answer obvious when Tony (and his cronies) still have a 'jolly' fleet to pay for!

ZH875
31st Aug 2006, 06:02
Thats's an easy one.....

....All 10 Tranche 3 Typhoons that we are left with, when the order is cancelled:)

NURSE
31st Aug 2006, 07:48
will they follow the Aussie team and be turboprop. I think its fairly short sighted not to use the Hawk I'm sure British waste of space could stump up some sponsorship.

ShyTorque
31st Aug 2006, 07:57
In ten years time, if they exist at all, the Red Arrows will have been watered down as per the rest of the RAF.

They will be known as "The Pink Darts" and the contract will be given to the cheapest civilian bidding company, which will probably be American or Chinese. The government will herald this as a major improvement.

But I hope not.

teeteringhead
31st Aug 2006, 08:12
Yes in 10 years time, yes in 12 years time (think about it), no in 13 ...... Hawks until endex is my guess ....

..... you heard it here first.....

Megaton
31st Aug 2006, 08:16
Refurbished Fuselage Replacement Programme (FRP) aircraft for another ten years or so then who knows?

Lazer-Hound
31st Aug 2006, 09:30

L'Armee de l'Air? Surely they'll keep a display team? What about the Luftwaffe?

Tombstone
31st Aug 2006, 11:19
Bin 100 Sqn & put their Hawks into storage. Should help extend the life of the Reds.

You cannot buy the PR that the Reds provide BAE & RAF with. I'm all for them infact, I might even apply for them one day if I ever learn to wear my Ray Bans properly...

Skunkerama
31st Aug 2006, 11:34
Get 10 C-17's painted red and do the same display. Now that would be an impressive sight.

Roland Pulfrew
31st Aug 2006, 12:40
Latest news on the Reds replacement aircraft can be found here:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1101860&TopOfYest=yes
Apparently Tony Bliar has taken to heart some of the comments on the Airbridge to the Sandpit topic and sees this as a way of getting 2 birds with the same stone......:E :E

airborne_artist
31st Aug 2006, 13:02
I have it on good authority that the new Tri-Service (we are all joined up now, remember) display team will be called the Hot Dogs and sponsored by the operators of the many food vans parked outside HM Forces locations following the introduction of PAYD.

The aircraft will be on contract, as you would expect, and are displayed below:

http://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk/uploads/pic104.jpg

NutLoose
31st Aug 2006, 20:19
Personally I would disband them and plow the money into the NHS but that will rankle a few feathers.............. so why not take over the
The Dancing Diggers who will perform formation dancing and a series of dare-devil stunts with five giant JCB excavators, a Bobcat excavator and a double-decker bus!
http://www.orsettshow.co.uk/images/digger3.jpg

or perhaps the RedBarrows

http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/s/203/203728_wheel_fun_as_the_barrows_roll_out.html

http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/ContentResources/365.$plit/C_58_article_203728_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage.jpg

johno617tonka
31st Aug 2006, 21:54
[or perhaps the RedBarrows
http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/s/203/203728_wheel_fun_as_the_barrows_roll_out.html
http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/ContentResources/365.$plit/C_58_article_203728_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage.jpg[/QUOTE]

Off topic slightly, but the cadets above are from my local ATC sqn.

From what i can gather from the CO they have travelled the country displaying their routine.

The Sqn itself used to have a top notch motor cycle display team but due to the 'health and safety' world we live in:= , they had to dispand...

The 'Red Barrows' are the result! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well worth a watch if they are at a show near you...............

DummyRun
31st Aug 2006, 23:31
Official!!!

Heard today from MoD mate that the plan is to paint 9 little red jets on the underside of the support C-130, formation keeping will be perfect, only snag is displays will be limited to Kandahar, MeS, Kabul, Herat, Basrah, Baghdad etc, etc still will be a good morale booster for the guys and gals at Camp Bastion.... up tiddly up and all that
Or, how about 9 Extra 300's paid for by Red Bull and spend the money saved on DAS for the a/c in the Royal Air Flight that are actually working quite hard for a living........

Noah Zark.
31st Aug 2006, 23:36
In fact a rumour is going round Cardington that nine old Zeppelins are being refurbished there, painted bright red, and turned out as "The Red Marrows".

Rather be Gardening
1st Sep 2006, 07:38
Gordon Brown will continue with his master-plan to get rid of Defence assets altogether. There will be one Red Arrow (just to make the point about who's boss, after Tony has that unfortunate accident with a London bus). It will tootle mournfully around the skies looking for its mates, while signwriting Messages From Your Sponsor above the crowds.

chevvron
1st Sep 2006, 07:50
But who's going to chase off the aircraft which infringe the Red Arrows TRA if there's only one displaying?

NURSE
1st Sep 2006, 09:11
maybe there is sufficient aircraft in the Hawk buy for the reds. When JSF is cancelled along with the carriers, and Tornado capability gapped then we won't need so many pilots trained. Added to which the 2 sqns of c130j and the 5 C17's along with the 9 A330's and 14 Nimrod that should be suficient capability for UK needs. of course 32 sqn will have to expand so every govt minister has his or her own aircraft.

Zoom
1st Sep 2006, 09:21
I understand that the Mike & The Mechanics lead singer and his large family, who have just been sunburned on the Costa del Sol, have volunteered to do the job as the Red Carrows.

And a chap by our local canal has 9 narrow boats which he will paint red and............................. oh never mind.

chevvron
1st Sep 2006, 09:33
Course they could always take a leaf out of 100 Sqdns book and paint nine red arrows on the banner; that'll ensure they stay in tight formation.

Longstick
1st Sep 2006, 13:47
Well let's face it, they are a huge waste of money.......I'm sure the Admin Branch could use that for some valuable Force Developement and Air Power use!!

rab-k
1st Sep 2006, 14:18
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/rab-knight/NewRed.jpg

Recon that'd be one helluva crowd pleaser! Thunderbirds & Blue Angles lookout!:E

SirToppamHat
1st Sep 2006, 15:12
Nice one Rab-K.

However, I reckon they are going to spray 10 of the (many) Green Godesses red from the next hangar along at Scampton! They don't seem to be going anywhere after all.

STH

Party 7-Pack
1st Sep 2006, 16:11
I'm sure that 'multi-millionaire' Sir Jack Hayward will keep the Reds airborne...or Scampton could send some red paint to Bruntingthorpe.

SASless
1st Sep 2006, 16:59
In keeping with the general downsizing of the RAF "The Reds" shall become "The Red" and the display will use a Hawk painted red on one side and black on the other so the aircraft can be multi-roled when not involved with training. Selection for the prize seat will be done by tennis ladder of Rock and Scissors.:(