PDA

View Full Version : VFR transit through Jersey zone ?

DamienInFrance
30th Aug 2006, 21:08
Hello,

I plan to fly to Redhill next week from LFRB/Brest in France. Initially I considered to cross the Channel using the Cherbourg - Southampton VFR route I have found on the charts ... but Cherbourg is a long way from Brest.

Then I am considering routing overhead Guernsey then Southampton.

So far I flew in Jersey Zone airspace inbound or outbound to/from one of the islands.

I was wondering if a VFR transit through Jersey Class A airspace (preferably above FL50 if the weather permits) can be easily granted to a VFR flight ?

Thanks, Damien.

welkyboy
30th Aug 2006, 21:24
Call Jersey Zone for transit at least 10 minutes from the Zone boundary, they will, if weather and traffic permits, clear you to cross Zone special VFR at a fixed level, but be advised you will have to descend to 3000ft at 50north to remain clear of airway N866 which tracks from Ortac to Southampton

derekf
30th Aug 2006, 21:30
Damien,

You'll have no problems getting a crossing - but it will be Special VFR (Class A airspace).

You'll have a flight plan filed anyway and Brest Info should tell you to call Jersey Zone for transit.

They've got no problems with SVFR transits at the sort of levels you're talking about but you might be vectored to avoid SIDs / STARs if they are in use.

If you're going to be flying at FL50 or above remember the N866 airway from ORTAC to SAM that has a base of FL35.

If you've got a decent GPS you can fly east of the airway and avoid the danger zones by routing ORIST (WP to the east of the airway) to IW or MID

Derek...

DamienInFrance
31st Aug 2006, 06:04
Ok, thanks for the advice.

I have one more question about the N866 airway you're talking about.

On 2005 charts (I am using Jeppesen charts : EG-2) it's true that the N866 base was at FL35. But on 2006 charts this airway starts at FL135. I can see a small triangle airspace (class A) south of ORTAC and ORIST with a low base (FL35) but nothing before FL105 north of these points. That's why I was planning to fly fairly high but below N866 (and I have noticed the class D airspace south of Southampton : Solent CTA).

Do you think something's wrong on this 2006 chart ?

Anyway I will think about using a different route like ORIST - MID.

Damien.

northernboyo
31st Aug 2006, 07:40
Base of N866 is FL35, chart is wrong.

DamienInFrance
31st Aug 2006, 09:45
Ooops, you're right. I'll have to read carefully the Jeppesen chart updates :

Lower ATS route N866 lower limit should read FL35
instead of FL135. EG-2/5&6-S.