PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I run on Mogas?

rotorboater
30th Aug 2006, 16:41
With Avgas prices going through the roof, why can't I use mogas at over 35% less? I wouldn't mind adding extra lead (like old cars use) & I don't fly over 3500 feet so there should be no problem with air bubbles at altitude.

I have a new Lycoming 360 engine but I really wouldn't care if the TBO reduced slightly and judging by the after sales service I have had so far, the guarantee isn't worth much :eek:

The other benefit is I would save on useless landing fees etc, I reckon I can save £30 - £40 per hour but am I allowed to do it in the UK or can I put the machine on a different reg & do it?

helicopter-redeye
30th Aug 2006, 18:45
With Mogas gokng thru' the roof (£1.10/ ltr at Glenforsa), why can't we convert the whole fleet to run on LPG ?:8

{NB, non serious comment}:zzz:

Pandalet
30th Aug 2006, 18:51
wouldn't running on something lower octane than the specified fuel invalidate the operating procedures, and thus your insurance?

rotornut
30th Aug 2006, 18:58
Somewhere on the 'Prune is a very detailed thread on this subject. Why don't you try a search?

Aesir
30th Aug 2006, 21:05
Well is said Lycoming 360 engine in a Robinson?

I used to fly a R-22 standard in the US with a Mogas STC. It had the 320 150hp engine but I would think there would be an mogas STC for the newer engines also or not?

I did fly it some on Mogas and it made no difference whatsoever. These engines do not have that high compression that the octane rating will make any difference.

topendtorque
30th Aug 2006, 21:30
Mogas, huh

It stinks -not as much as the old super used to - it's dirty, in northern OZ it's more expensive than avgas, it dissolves the lining sealants on some A/C types which then clog your filter, it melts o rings and gaskets used on some A/C carbies.

Notwithstanding that when super was much cheaper way back when, we used to use it sometimes, to use it regularly you must have first bought an "STC'd mogas kit" that is designed to circumvent the above.

apart from that it is now illegal in north OZ to carry mogas into many aboriginal communities as the naughty little juveniles thieve it and use it to satisfy their petrol sniffing habit, which would leave you short of fuel to fly home - a real bummer - while you contemplate your misdemeanour in the local slammer with the local outcasts.

There has been a new type of petrol designed to circumvent this sniffing, called Opel fuel. don't tell anyone but some of the more inventive little juveniles have bin-a mixin-it with chips of polystyrene and proceeding on their elevated way.

For an extra couple of dollars an hour op cost why bother.
tet

Gaseous
30th Aug 2006, 22:57
If you use neat mogas in your Enstrom you will probably destroy it in no time. Adding lead may help but I wouldnt do it. When I bought mine, my engineer showed me the damage done by alleged occasional mogas use in an Enstrom. Disastrous. Engine written off in 300 hours. Stick to 100LL. You may get away with it in a Robbie but you`re pushing it in an Enstrom. They run much closer to detonation pressures.

Salusa
31st Aug 2006, 12:31
Bloody boring read, but some info that may help...

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP455.PDF

AWN 98A is the one you want (cant link directly to it).

brett s
31st Aug 2006, 14:35
I used to work for a guy that ran mogas in Bell 47's (G2's & G5's), did it for years with no trouble - then he tried in a Hiller 12E, that high compression VO-540 wasn't happy. Sustained power settings over about 22" MP for more than a couple minutes would push it over the edge...