PDA

View Full Version : University Air Squadron Selection Process

Gingawings
30th Aug 2006, 13:26
Hi

I'm off to Leeds University in a couple of weeks and keen to join the University Air Squadron. Can anyone give me a few tips on how to best prepare myself for the selction process.

Many thanks

GW

BluntM8
30th Aug 2006, 14:51
Ginga,

You really ought to use the search facility before posting a question like that, lest you get flamed to a crisp...but since I'm SIQ and feeling kind, here's my take on the UAS selection process.

(I did mine about 6 years ago, anyone with more current knowledge please feel free to update me!)

The selection process comprises three stages. Firstly, you'll go along to the Freshers Fair and meet the Sqn. You can chat to the current members and get a feel for the way things work. At this stage you'll be invited to have a short (10 mins or so) interview with one of the Sqn staff, during which they will take a few details about you. The first interview is a broad cut to get rid of those patently unsuited to the UAS, such as those with major medical problems or not eligable to join (nationality, etc.) and also those who are joining for the sake of joining. You can expect to be asked a few questions to prove that you have done some research (like "Where do we fly from?") but nothing too major or in depth. Be keen, be bright and forthcoming (too many people clam up!) and most of all BE HONEST and you will hopefully be invited to the next stage.

The second stage is a more formal interview at the UAS headquarters, normally conducted by the Sqn Cdr and his CFI. It's a formal interview, so you can expect to be sat across a desk from them in a suit and you ought to make sure your shoes are clean and you are well groomed. You can expect the interview to take two halves. The first half is designed for the staff to assess your life to date, the second to assess how seriously you want to join the UAS.

The first half of the interview will follow your life history chronologically, and you can expect questions such as "What clubs/societies were you a member of at school?" and "What has been the high point of your life to date?". In my opinion, the key to this part is showing that you have made the most of any opportunities that you have been presented with. Don't fret if you think your achievements are not as good as the other candidates - as long as you can show that you took every opportunity you got, you should do fine.

The second half of the interview is geared towards assessing your commitment to the UAS and your greater world knowledge. You can expect to have your depth of knowledge about the UAS and the RAF probed extensively. Answer honestly, and if you don't know then say so! The staff can tell if you are bluffing and it will be frowned upon. You should brush up on current affairs, military affairs and have a working knowledge of the training you can expect to undertake on the UAS and further on in your career. I'm not going to tell you what that might be - if you can't work it out from the websites, the AFCOs and a previous meeting with UAS members (1'st interview!) then you are in a poor situation.

Should you be sucessful (and there's no reason why you shouldn't be), you will be invited to attend RAF Cranwell for a medical. It's a straightforward procedure which is nothing to worry about and fuller details may be found elsewhere.

Best of luck to you. I would suggest that you concentrate on finding out as much as you can about the UAS and thinking about how to present yourself in the best light possible during the interviews. If there is anything further, ask away.

Blunty

OpsMunkie
30th Aug 2006, 15:03
strongly suggest you call YUAS admin beforehand, or write to them in advance explaining you wish to become a member. They will be able to give you the best advice

Training Risky
30th Aug 2006, 15:14
I have heard stories of certain trendy-PC-liberal universities banning UAS and other military organisations from recruiting on campus? Is this true? I would be intrigued to hear if they have tried to do this.

BTW - York is a top run ashore!

JAG3
30th Aug 2006, 15:38
Good advice blunty:ok:

Gingawings
30th Aug 2006, 15:47
Thanks blunty. Are there any apptitude tests involved like the ones for aircrew selection at Cranwell?

A2QFI
30th Aug 2006, 16:24
Gingawings. The position has been well and fully explained by the earlier posts. I was involved on the interviewing side some years ago and it won't have changed much. There are no Cranwell type aptitude tests and the medical is what is necessary for basic flying, almost a PPL level.
To the question of UASs being banned from Freshers Fairs this certainly happened at Manchester, largely at the instigation of those who enjoy freedom but don't like people fighting for it. We still recruited our usual selection of well motivated members! Be yourself, get selected if you can and enjoy it if you do. I spent 35 years in military flying and instructing on a UAS was as enjoyable as the best of it

Gingawings
30th Aug 2006, 16:31
Sorry to bother you again A2QFI. When you were invloved in the interview process, how many candidats did you normally interview, and how many were successful? I'm aware that competetion for a place in the UAS is fierce.

Gingawings
30th Aug 2006, 17:03
Thanks again blunty. I'm new to this site, only just 19 and from now on I will always check out the search forum before asking a question, which has probably been asked a million times before.

GW

6foottanker
30th Aug 2006, 19:17
I'd expect the places to be like gold dust now UAS funding is drying up slowly. Speak to YUAS before you go, they will let you know where and when their recruiting guys will be. But be positive, someone has to take the slots and it might as well be you if you sell yourself!

I remember at Cardiff (crikey, it's nearly 10 years ago now, I'm getting old!) the UAS were not allowed into the Student Union because they did not permit members of a homosexual persuasion. So they just camped outside the front of the union in flying suits and probably had a far better response.

Of course the services have now changed their rules and so have the unis.

ps Even if you don't want to be a pilot, the UAS system is much more ground branch friendly these days. :hmm:

Flik Roll
30th Aug 2006, 19:57
I just posted this but it's vanished so I will post again....

Suggest a visit to HERE (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=96) rather than cluttering up here with another UAS thread. Lots of UAS studenty types frequent and an abundance of UAS threads.

Currently no initial aptitude and no medical as it's all paperwork based. And recruiting figures vary from year to year.

MrBernoulli
30th Aug 2006, 20:35
"Currently no aptitude and no medical as it's all paperwork based."

Are you entirely sure of that? Perhaps not initially, but you will have to submit to some form of both to remain on a UAS. Certainly had to when I was instructing at an airfield somewhere near York ......... :hmm:

Flik Roll
30th Aug 2006, 20:43
No initial aptitude and medical

Was told that Freshers don't go up to Crantanamo for either now.

My apologies for not making myself clear.

:ouch:

A2QFI
30th Aug 2006, 20:45
Gingawings - check your PMs:ok:

Vifferpilot
30th Aug 2006, 21:37
Having just finished instructing on a UAS...there are no aptitude tests, but this years intake had to go to Cranditz for a simple medical, basically the same as Ground Branch medical as was (they're all treated the same now).

I'd expect the places to be like gold dust now UAS funding is drying up slowly.

Funny, I thought their funding recently doubled...:confused:

Discorde
3rd Oct 2008, 14:03
Hope this reply is not too late!

I pestered my way into Leeds UAS 42 years ago – after the selection process I was informed I hadn't made the initial intake but I was on the waiting list. When one of those offered a place declined to take up the offer I leapfrogged #1 on the list and took the vacancy (I went to the squadron HQ every day for a week to ask if there was any news, ignoring their pleas of 'don't call us, we'll call you'. Eventually they gave me a place to shut me up, I think).

Looking back over my 20,000 hours in flying machines large and small, I still believe the best instructional quality I received during my career was with the UAS at Church Fenton. And what excellent people the instructors were! They were held in high esteem by us Cadet Pilots (as we were called then). Although I've turned into a bit of a lefty now, I still admire the high quality people defending the realm.

As other posters have said, Gingawings, if you are successful in joining the UAS you will meet top quality people, both regular officers and fellow students.

Best of luck!

CirrusF
3rd Oct 2008, 17:03
still believe the best instructional quality I received during my career was with the UAS at Church Fenton

I'd second that. Instruction quality at my UAS was the best I have ever received. Two of our instructors were WW2 veterans - one had been on Hurricanes and the other Lancasters. After uni I did my PPL in Argentina and my instructor (German, though naturalised Argentine) ironically had been an Me109 pilot in WW2. After the trial flight he complimented my flying and asked who had trained me - I took a lot of pleasure in telling him!

The Real Slim Shady
3rd Oct 2008, 17:11
Also helps if you play rugby or football well.

We once needed a rugby team as we were fed up getting cuffed so that year, 1988, we actively recruited rugby players.

zedder
3rd Oct 2008, 18:37
Q. Are you female.
A. Y/N

if N do not pass go

Q. Would you answer yes to the following question (see Chorus)?

► Do Ya **** On First Dates - Kevin Bloody Wilson song lyrics ♪ (http://www.lyricskeeper.com/kevin_bloody_wilson-lyrics/212970-do_ya_****_on_first_dates-lyrics.htm)

A. Y/N

if N do not pass go

;)

zedder
3rd Oct 2008, 18:39
Sounds much better coming from the 'Great' Kev himself:

YouTube - do you **** on first dates (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DeWAdzFmI10)

zedder
3rd Oct 2008, 18:59
This was all the rage when '42' was a 'real' Sqn:

YouTube - kevin bloody wilson (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TTvNXtajuws)

It's just like nowadays when you call the SPOC and end up asking for "Kin F**king Loss' because the voice recognition software wouldn't recognise the name of an RAF Station if it was beaten into it with a shovel.

PS. Yes I did slip the lead and have a few beers tonight!:p