PDA

View Full Version : University Air Squadron Selection Criteria

Gingawings
30th Aug 2006, 13:22
Hi all,

I'm a 19 year old gap year student and have almost completed my PPL and have just under 50 hours, a couple more flight exams and my test to do. I am very keen on a career in aviation and am particularly interested in what the RAF has to offer. I've done plenty of reasearch and now realise how tough it would be to gain selection for aircrew in the Services.

In a couple of weeks I am off to Leeds University and am desperate to join the UAS. Is there anyone out there who has been part of a UAS and can give me a few tips on what the UAS selection process is and how best to prepare myself for it.

Many thanks

GW

Gingawings
30th Aug 2006, 19:33
Did they give you a reason as to why you were unsuccessful?
GW

Flik Roll
30th Aug 2006, 19:53
Suggest a visit to HERE (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)

Lost of studenty types who are in or apsire to join a UAS. Plenty of discussion on it too. All the best,

Flik :)

EDIT: Sorry I have appeared to double posted in the sister thread to this as well DOH

Gingawings
30th Aug 2006, 20:04
Thanks very much, much appreciated!:ok:

TMJ
31st Aug 2006, 08:02
Hi all,

I'm a 19 year old gap year student and have almost completed my PPL and have just under 50 hours, a couple more flight exams and my test to do. I am very keen on a career in aviation and am particularly interested in what the RAF has to offer. I've done plenty of reasearch and now realise how tough it would be to gain selection for aircrew in the Services.

In a couple of weeks I am off to Leeds University and am desperate to join the UAS. Is there anyone out there who has been part of a UAS and can give me a few tips on what the UAS selection process is and how best to prepare myself for it.

Many thanks

GW

It wouldn't hurt to get hold of the UAS's address and write to the sqn cdr, explaining you're keen to join and asking where they'll be during Freshers' Week. Shows your keen and have had enough gumption to do some research and put in a little bit of effort.

On the other hand, you'd be joining YUAS, so you may want to think again... :)