PDA

View Full Version : MBE, anyone?

PompeySailor
30th Aug 2006, 10:44
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2334133,00.html

Amazing how he got away for as long as he did....!

airborne_artist
30th Aug 2006, 10:53
And all that while he held an RAF VR(T) commission :( :

"When he discovered that his name would appear in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list in June 2003, he invited local dignitaries to a celebratory garden party at his home. The party was paid for out of the funds of the Air Training Corps, which he had led for ten years with the rank of flight lieutenant.

It was not the first time that he had helped himself to ATC funds. In 2002 he reported a burglary at its headquarters, claiming that musical instruments had been stolen. He started a public appeal that gained the support of the local mayor and raised £19,000 to buy replacements, more than £7,000 of which went to buy Eke a new car."

A2QFI
30th Aug 2006, 10:54
"He wrote two false references to Downing Street, in the names of people who did not exist, urging that he be nominated to become an MBE."

The MBE is hardly a life-changing award, except in his case! Makes one wonder whether references are actually any use in any circumstances?

foldingwings
30th Aug 2006, 11:00
He was only trying to eke out a living!

coat got, on my way!

Yellow Sun
30th Aug 2006, 12:18
The following is not intended as a justification or even mitigation of Michael Eke's actions, only to add a little more information about the man and possibly to provide a degree of explanation for some of his behaviour.

I lived in North Cambrideshire for a number of years when Eke was the CO of March Air Training Corps Squadron. During that period the squadron had a very high public profile, their band appeared at many events, the cadets were always present whenever help was required for events and the activities of the unit were well publicised in the local press. There is no doubt that at the time this was an excellent ATC unit and its cadets real credit to the Corps. It is equally true that the greater part of the credit for this should go to Eke for the large amount of work he put into the squadron.

Where did it all go wrong then? I can only speculate on this but I suspect that the "break in" resulting in the loss/damage of the musical instruments might have been the first stage. Was he frustrated at the difficulty of raising money to improve the equipment and came upon this "easy" way to re-equip the squadron band? When the money rolled in as result he succumbed and took some for his own use. From there it seems a downhill slope, he achieved much locally and yearned recognition. Awarding himself an MBE: for that is what he did: must have seemed easy after the fraud he had already perpetrated with the false burglary. To live up to his new found status he then stole from the ATC, for in his own eyes he probably deserved it. When he was subsequently employed by Cambridgeshire Police the temptation must have been almost irresistible, The police after all were guillible, hadn't he fooled them before? Had he now succumbed to the belief that no one would ever suspect someone of his standing? The rest as we know is history.

The biggest loser from this affair is not Eke himself but the cadets of March ATC Squadron whose trust he betrayed. It is such a pity, he did achieve so much, but I fear that will not be remembered.

YS

Talking Radalt
30th Aug 2006, 13:10
I lived in North Cambrideshire for a number of years when Eke was the CO of March Air Training Corps Squadron. During that period the squadron had a very high public profile, their band appeared at many events, the cadets were always present whenever help was required for events and the activities of the unit were well publicised in the local press. There is no doubt that at the time this was an excellent ATC unit and its cadets real credit to the Corps. It is equally true that the greater part of the credit for this should go to Eke for the large amount of work he put into the squadron.
Yeah? The Third Reich had some excellent marching bands and pretty snappy uniforms too and look what happened to them!
Eke's a total fraud, and using the ATC and other similar organisations as a vehicle for his deceipt makes it worse.:=
Give his award to one of the Paras in Sangine platoon house instead.:ok:

airborne_artist
30th Aug 2006, 13:18
YS - no doubt you have seen a good side to him, but he crossed the line. Most of us on here have had positions of responsibility with funds that were not ours, but we resisted any temptation we might have had.

I've fund-raised for children/youth groups (the groups I've chaired have raised over £50,000) and I have always found it an easy sell - and raising money for an ATC unit is the easiest if them all - the kids are clean, well-mannered and look smart - so I don't get your explanation at all.

I expect we also know plenty of people who have been awarded M/O/CBEs - and without question every one of them would have done the work again without any mention of an award, and most are embarrassed that they were singled out when so many others did as much or more for no recognition. His motives for his self-nomination are vomit-inducing.

Simple fact is he stole, and he knew that was against every rule in the book.

Two's in
30th Aug 2006, 15:45
If I was as accomplished a conman as this individual clearly is, I might have set my sights a tad higher than a dodgy MBE. Not the first Walter Mitty tea leaf out there, and certainly not the last.

Skunkerama
30th Aug 2006, 15:51
Shame he didnt apply for the role of Prime Minister, we wouldnt have noticed another conman.

modtinbasher
30th Aug 2006, 20:34
Yeah? The Third Reich had some excellent marching bands and pretty snappy uniforms too and look what happened to them!
Eke's a total fraud, and using the ATC and other similar organisations as a vehicle for his deceipt makes it worse.:=
Give his award to one of the Paras in Sangine platoon house instead.:ok:

Oops, see below

modtinbasher
30th Aug 2006, 20:47
Third Reich? I should say so! Think what delusions Hitler could have had if he'd been a Flt Lt, after all, he was only a Corporal, wasn't he?

But getting back to MBEs CBEs yada, yada,

The many times that I have personally written "......this outstanding ------ epitomises the ethos of the Royal Air Force, exhuding professionalism from every pore.... his sterling work .....extremely keen player both on and off........whilst his wife is a staunch supporter of the Thrift Shop ...... rubarb, rubarb, rubarb"

It all just shows what a total load of bo11ocks it all is, doesn't it. It's much easier on the writer if you are just a Beatle!

MrBernoulli
30th Aug 2006, 21:08
"It's much easier on the writer if you are just a Beatle!"

Too right! Then you could have a quick spliff before receiving your gong at the Palace ..... and then return it in disgust later when your country gets dragged into stupid wars! Go John Lennon!

Hueymeister
30th Aug 2006, 21:39
When Hong Kong was handed over we were 'encouraged' to write certain people up for MBEs...'t'would be good for the Sqn..etc, blah,blah'. We later found out that the individuals from the locally stationed Army units were writing themselves up for honours and awards...and some got them!

Two's in
30th Aug 2006, 21:58
You have to assume that the authors of these literary masterpieces are applying my Auntie's rule of thumb, "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all". With Gong write up-ups and Annual Appraisals the trouble starts when people begin to believe their own publicity. It's simply there to get you promoted/posted/awarded/cashiered/transferred/operated upon. It doesn't have to be true, just read.

romeo bravo
31st Aug 2006, 19:27
Where did it all go wrong then? I can only speculate on this but I suspect that the "break in" resulting in the loss/damage of the musical instruments might have been the first stage. YS - you will find that this had been going on a long time before the band stuff went missing, and turned up in someone's attic.
... When he was subsequently employed by Cambridgeshire Police....
You may find he was working for the police before the band incident.
... The biggest loser from this affair is not Eke himself but the cadets of March ATC Squadron whose trust he betrayed. It is such a pity, he did achieve so much, but I fear that will not be remembered.
YS
Totally agree about the cadets being the biggest losers in all this, but thank god they have now bounced back and are thought of highly again in March. Good luck to them and Kirsty, who is the new 'boss'.
RB

EnigmAviation
3rd Sep 2006, 14:29
A disgraceful episode - let us hope that he receives a decent award from the Beak - and that HM removes the award.

However,a more serious collateral issue is the fact that HQAC/RAF fails to recognise and nominate many really outstanding potential recipients of honours and awards, given that thier organisation runs on more or less 100% voluntary service.

How often do we see PAID staff of companies and organisations, including HMG being nominated and awarded with honours for doing a job ordinarily for which they have been very well paid, for example mandatory honours for diplomats and Civil servants who have achieved a certain rank or status.

Wakey wakey Cranwell, look where your labour force comes from and start to recognise true dedication and service. The system is there, now use it !:(

Trout99uk
3rd Sep 2006, 20:33
Well said EnigmAviation.:D

T99

Boing_737
3rd Sep 2006, 21:51
I was a member of 1220 sqdn when he was a cadet WO. Thought he was a k**b then, and think he is now based on these actions (although this is old news, happened last year I think).

He never had any interest in adventure training which the previous CO had in abundance, only band training. For me cadets was all about the adventure training, the band held no interest. I only had a go at banging a drum once the rifle squad was disbanded as the deactivates .303s we used were dangerous:ugh:

kms901
3rd Sep 2006, 22:26
So you all get involved with the ATC in the hope of grtting a few putty gongs ?

romeo bravo
4th Sep 2006, 07:36
Far from it. Most of us (99.9%) are in it for one reason, and one reason alone, to help the cadets.
Most staff will tell you, it's not just two nights a week. As a CO, I can tell you that it is two nights at the unit, at least one other night doing admin plus one or two weekends a month and possibly a summer camp and easter camp. Oh sorry, I also work for a living to pay the bills. Good job the maximum working week rules don't apply to cadet activities!
Ok fine, I got the Golden Jubilee Medal, who didn't, but the next is the CFM after 12 years, and that's 12 years all as CO and doing Wing secondary duties.
RB

EnigmAviation
5th Sep 2006, 11:33

What a sour and sad little comment from someone litrtle nobody who's obviously never given any voluntary service. :sad:

The RAF would be a lot worse off for it's successful recruitment were it not for the dedicated band of professionals who freely give their time to produce an extremely successful group of young people who go on to serve the nation in every walk of life, not just HM Forces.:ok:

Chugalug2
5th Sep 2006, 20:56
The RAF would be a lot worse off for it's successful recruitment were it not for the dedicated band of professionals who freely give their time to produce an extremely successful group of young people who go on to serve the nation in every walk of life, not just HM Forces.:ok:

Spot on EA, and can we include all the cadet organisations overseen by HQAC? The CCF unit (all three services, self in RAF section) at my state school fed my appetite for all things Air Force. Summer camps, flights in many and varied types, Gliding to B badge, Flying Scholarship to PPL, and a determination to join the real thing and get my wings. All this made possible by masters weary with trying to fill our heads all week, still willing to put in more time in uniform for us. Retired now from a lifetime in aviation I acknowledge the effort they made so long ago and the debt I owe. That this tradition continues despite the culture of PC, HSE and no win no fee legal actions so prevalent today is inspiring. Those willing to do it are better men and women than I, Gunga Din! Never mind the gongs, badges and rank braid, you have the greatest prize of all, the respect and thanks of, those like me, who were inspired to make more of themselves than they would have otherwise. Take a bow Ladies and Gentlemen!

Thesnitcher
12th Sep 2006, 22:54
I wonder how many of the geriatrics at HQAC will award themselves MBE's this year-as you say for a job they are paid to do anyway. I know of least 3 or 4 members of ATC squadrons and VGS' who between them have given at least 120 years service to the Air cadets and nurtured some of our finest frontline service pilots. They were rewarded with a 4 liner along the lines of : "Oh thanks very much for helping out" type of letter-bloody disgraceful if you ask me. The fraudulent CO in question should be shafted good and proper. Oh and by the way guys-how long before that idiot who runs a VGS in Hampshire gets an award? (suggest for the most creative web****e on the net!!!)