PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod MRA4 to be fitted for but not with Storm Shadow ?

Navaleye
30th Aug 2006, 00:07
It would certainly make it a much more flexible beast with 5 Storm Shadows. With its 6,900 mile range, it could hit targets no other RAF asset could. Not sure it would go down well in the Kipper Fleet though.

The Helpful Stacker
30th Aug 2006, 05:55
Not sure it would go down well in the Kipper Fleet though.

Why not? My brother always wanted to be a Tonka pilot rather than an airline pilot and if they strap some Storm Shadows beneath his Nimrod he'll be halfway there.;)

ORAC
30th Aug 2006, 06:26
But that sort of extra weight will seriously limit their pie upload and operational curry radius...

The Helpful Stacker
30th Aug 2006, 06:36
But that sort of extra weight will seriously limit their pie upload and operational curry radius...

My brother doesn't like pies.

Do you think a dislike of pies can count against your career progression in the kipper fleet?

Vim_Fuego
30th Aug 2006, 07:34
My brother doesn't like pies.
Do you think a dislike of pies can count against your career progression in the kipper fleet?

Not putting on the odd brew every now and then does...

As I left the fleet 2.5 years ago the rationing money was dwindling down to the point where you had to choose between curry or pie...especially if you wanted something sweet and sticky i.e.danish or doh!-nut to wash it down with...If you had both there was no cash for choccies and crisps!

RubiC Cube
30th Aug 2006, 09:18
the rationing money was dwindling down to the point where you had to choose between curry or pie

No mention of Honkers, the staple diet for many years!

foldingwings
30th Aug 2006, 10:56
Three posts and a Nimrod/Storm Shadow thread is completely hijacked!

This must be a PPRuNe record!

Vim_Fuego
30th Aug 2006, 14:05
It would have helped the discussion if a link or reference to this subject were to be supplied....I wouldn't be surprised if many things weren't set in stone for this aircraft considering we've ordered quite a few and will probably struggle to afford them...(Thats just my opinion by the way so I can't link or ref!)

South Bound
30th Aug 2006, 14:44
Yep, not sure I understand the title - Fitted for but not with???

All aircraft are fitted for certain things, but only with when those things are loaded....?

Are we talking about the magic boxes that make it all work not being fitted or just the round itself? Questions questions questions...?

Navaleye
30th Aug 2006, 15:10
While we are at it, i'm told that the galley on the MRA4 is considerably smaller than the MR2 equivalent. Maybe this has something to do with the reduced pie/curry consumption. With that back on subject now please...

Shadwell the old
30th Aug 2006, 17:23
It means that the aircraft will have the necessary hard points (on the wings), the necessary carriers and links for the bomb bay and structural integrity to lift the stores, it will also have the necessary 1760B interfaces, but will not be considered as a primary store for the aircraft; ie it will not be cleared during the trials phase so that it can be included in the release to service for the MRA4. However, if they did want to use it operationally, they would only have to carry out limited flight trials to get the clearance.

I worked in the project office during the procurement process, and we met quite a lot of resistance mainly from the fast jet community because they were concerned that it may jeopordise their future and any replacement programmes.

The Helpful Stacker
30th Aug 2006, 18:17
So would this be the RAF quietly putting its toes back into the four engined bomber game?

I know a Vulcan thats in pretty good nick and that could be back in service for a suprisingly small fee.:}

Safeware
30th Aug 2006, 18:57
Shadwell,

they would only have to carry out limited flight trials to get the clearance

Not necessarily so. If something is fitted for but not with, it is likely to have had the required flt trials done so that an RTS is available rather than wait in a queue of UORs to be flt tested when the poo flies. The driver may be availability of equipment. Eg lets say that the Stormshadow has a particular black box X fitted to the aircraft. A full installation could be trialled and all the wiring / hardpoints set up on the fleet. However, if the GR4 has the RAF supply of black box X installed, black box X will only be fitted to Nimrod when operationally required. Nimrod is then 'fitted for but not with'. Just because something isn't a primary store doesn't make it fitted for but not with.

sw

Navaleye
30th Aug 2006, 19:07
Easy to solve that one, buy some more black boxes. But as you say, the maritime boys won't want it out of their budget and the FJs certainly wouldn't want it out of theirs. So we have a capability in name only. Lack of joined-up thinking again along the lines of JFH.

So would this be the RAF quietly putting its toes back into the four engined bomber game?

Potentially yes, but on a tiny scale. But 6 Nimrods launching 30 Storm Shadow and key targets is a damned useful capability. The RN and RAF have complementary capability here. Tomahawk providing long range strike, with Storm Shadow available in larger numbers closer in. Since our defence thoughts are turned on the littoral, the T45s should be equipped with SCALP EG or Tomahawk, preferably the latter.

Another question for the Nimrod community. What happens to the current MR2 when the MRA4 deliveries are complete ? Razor blades?

Jackonicko
30th Aug 2006, 20:04
What happens to the MR2s?

Well one is going to Waddington as a spare for 51 in case they lose one of theirs.

Each MRA4 'consumes' an MR2 airframe.

Of the remainder, who knows?

There will be sufficient airframes for another batch, at least, if a customer could be found.

The main reason that Storm Shadow won't happen is that DEC UWE won't want his assets diverted for other things. Solution: Buy ten more specifically for long range strike/attack......

Biggus
30th Aug 2006, 20:08
I don't know what the weapons the aircraft is planned to be 'fitted with', but I always understood that the "A" in MRA4 stood for 'attack', and it wasn't referring simply to anti ship ASMs!

It's not surprising the FJ boys aren't very keen on the MRA4!!

As for the kipper fleet not being too keen on the idea - who says so? They do a lot more than just 'maritime' tasks these days anyway!

Shadwell the old
31st Aug 2006, 07:52
With regard to what is happening to the old MR2s, I did put forward an idea when they were disbanding the Sqn with the head and 8 testicles, that as the Omanis wanted a capability why did we (the UK) not suggest that we retain 206 and "wet lease" the aircraft and crews them. They would be offered the opportunity to pay all the bills (including maintenance, wages of air and ground crew and of course fuel). That would have allowed the MoD to reduce costs, but maintain a capability that they could call on in times of tension. I was told not to be silly! Instead we reduced the size of the fleet by 5 aircraft and about 7 crews. Now the guys at ISK are overstretched (my opinion) and we could do with more aircraft and people.

Maybe with the advent of the MRA4, they could look at converting more aircraft if that same nation wanted to meet the conversion and running costs. They seem desperate to gain a maritime capability and our stock is high with them, so should not our esteemed Mr Bliar be trying to nurture them, or would that mean that he cannot continue with his stealthy defence cuts.

OK Nurse (not Kev) I am coming........