PDA

View Full Version : Multi time or type rating.

portsharbourflyer
29th Aug 2006, 23:27
OK, single pilot ops requires 40 hours multi IFR p1 time, generally the only financially reaslistic way of obtaining this is going overseas and hiring (e.g. the US), anyway just worked out that the cost of doing this could easliy be 6000 pounds (100 pounds an hour approx hire rate (optimistic), cost of flights overseas, 5 hour check out for twin flying, 2 to 3 weeks accomodation living etc).

However I know it is possible to do a citation rating for about 10000, so which of the follwing options would be better?

1) Citation Rating
2) Build multi time in hope of getting air taxi work
3) Wait a bit longer and do an rating ATR (about 16000)

Not interested in comments about not paying for a type rating, that has already been discussed before.

Speed bird 002
30th Aug 2006, 18:31
Have u looked at CTC....just a thought. if your willing to spend a few grand, i would definetely recommend them.

Megaton
30th Aug 2006, 18:38
Are you close to 700 hrs tt already otherwise this route is a waste of time.

AlternativeProcedure
30th Aug 2006, 19:49
If you are willing to put up with the loss of earnings for a period of time(say a year), why not try Africa, one hell of an experience mate!!! Fly a 206 for while, get yourself known in the area and if you spend that 6000 pounds well, you could even get yourself something like a king air/B1900 rating, build some multi turbine time.

The opportunities totally depend on where u go and how u go about it. A let 410 rating also comes to mind. I personally wouldn't advise getting any rating b4 you go. Go out there, do their own rating(most likely cheaper than the UK version of the same thing), and fly alot. This is all assuming you are willing to put up with Africa of course!!

portsharbourflyer
30th Aug 2006, 21:22
OK, thanks everyone,

Well, CTC I have discounted on the grounds that if you are one of the few thats gets selected but then gets chopped on the acq course you are effectively left with an expensive joc with no further tangible rating.

Ham Phisted, I am aware of the single pilot ops requirements (I assume you are referring to the multi time build part), I am a part time instructor, so if I did a few more days a week instructing , I could get the total time requirement in a reasonable time, would you therefore recommend this over the other two options.

AP, good to hear from you, turned down a chance to fly in Africa last year, afraid to say personal circumstances (ie; the other half) stops me from doing the African thing, nice suggestion though.

dxbpilot
31st Aug 2006, 00:13
Hi ,I'll soon be finishing my UK JAA licence MEIR, and I would love to try africa out, question is which countrys do you think would be a good place to go ? I've been looking at Gabon closely, any suggestions as to where I should check out for that elusive first job ? I live in Dubai, and hold British/Australian passports.....

cheers

tunalic2
20th Dec 2006, 21:29
Hi, Doobers
not every one wants 700 hrs, a UK company can get dispensation down to 400.
Why dont you approach Citation and ATR operators and go in the direction which gives you the warmest feeling.
Good luck T2
ps Is the highland lodge still open out there?

Sky Wave
21st Dec 2006, 05:04
Well, CTC I have discounted on the grounds that if you are one of the few thats gets selected but then gets chopped on the acq course you are effectively left with an expensive joc with no further tangible rating.

You should have more faith in yourself. Not many people get chopped from the AQC (less than 10%) and there is a lot that you can do to ensure that you are not one of them. CTC only chop people that they believe will struggle on a type rating, if you believe that you will struggle then I wouldn't recommend buying a type rating as it could cost you a fortune in extra training.

It's possibly a bit irrelevant at the moment anyway as the ATP application is temporarily closed to allow the holdpool to drain, however for the sake of £170 why not go for stages 1 to 3 anyway? It will give you valuable experience in computer Aptitude testing, team exercises and interviews. If you are still unsure about it having passed all three phases then pull out at that stage and if you don't get as far as stage 4 then you can learn from the experience and avoid messing up your next airline selection.

I seriously believe that if your IFR flying skills are up to speed and if you prepare well you will not fail the AQC.

Just my opinion, feel free to PM if you want more info on the AQC

SW

low n' slow
21st Dec 2006, 10:17
If you fail the CTC thing, the route via Africa and som TP flying is the way to go. Some say that TP is useless and that you'll be looked upon as a lowtimer once you go to a jet. That might be well true, but what do you want to do?
I want to build a whole bag of flightexperience. I love flying and I want to see all different types of operations. It might be a big difference between flying a jet and a king air, but I think the king air might be hell of a lot more fun than flying the jet. And once you want to move on to the jets, you'll appreciate the fact that you have "been there and done that".
Just my 10 pennies worth.

/LnS