PDA

View Full Version : VoIP and XP

airborne_artist
29th Aug 2006, 20:03
I have two PCs - home office PC runs XP Pro and connects via wifi to router. Playroom PC runs 98SE and also connects via wifi to the router. Both wifi adaptors are Netgear USB, though one (downstairs) is a V1 and the other V2. No problems with either until I tried using VoIP*

XP Pro PC give pretty poor line quality, over the Tesco (Freshtel) network and over Sipgate. In both cases the line drops after no more than a minute. I can see the "gap" in tx/rx on the utility provided by Netgear to manage the USB adaptor. If I run VoIP over freecall.com then I get great line quality, but still the line drops.

98SE PC can only run the Tesco system, as X-Lite is 200/XP only. Line quality is better than on the XP box, but not as good as the freecall.com solution, but no line drops.

* reason for installing VoIP in a hurry is because my BT lines were cut by Farmer Giles' plough, literally. My broadband connection comes via wireless from a local SP, and is presented as an Ethernet port in the loft, as the external antenna is bolted to the gable end. Positioning the wifi router in the loft gives a great signal in/outside. Thus it's difficult to take the XP Pro PC to the router and wire it direct, though I might try!

So, Ppruners, what should I do next! And don't say get a mobile - my work involves calling California for 2-4 hours a day and I'm not giving O2 all my income.

JediDude
30th Aug 2006, 02:28
Have you tried using Skype?

LD Max
5th Sep 2006, 09:08
I have two PCs - home office PC runs XP Pro and connects via wifi to router. Playroom PC runs 98SE and also connects via wifi to the router. Both wifi adaptors are Netgear USB, though one (downstairs) is a V1 and the other V2. No problems with either until I tried using VoIP*
XP Pro PC give pretty poor line quality, over the Tesco (Freshtel) network and over Sipgate. In both cases the line drops after no more than a minute. I can see the "gap" in tx/rx on the utility provided by Netgear to manage the USB adaptor.

This sounds like a typical "packet loss" situation. You need to be sure where the dropped packets are occurring.

For a diagnostic, I would recommend you borrow a laptop and hard wire it (Cat 5 cable) directly to the incoming connection in the loft. Go to this site and download Dan Elwells Broadband Speed Test (http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/download/)onto the laptop and onto your wi-fi connected PCs.

This is a simple utility which checks the robustness and speed of your broadband connection. It will tell you instantly if you are suffering from packet loss. ANY packet loss on a VOIP connection will significantly increase the incidence of "dropped" calls.

Compare the results from your machines. If the Cat 5 connected laptop is okay, but your wi-fi connected PCs are showing errors, you know your problem lies with your wi-fi router or signal. If all the machines are showing about the same number of errors, then you need to contact your SP and get them to sort it. If all the tests pass on all the machines, then it would imply a configuration error in the router or your windows (or 3rd party) software firewall, (like Norton Internet Protection). You may try opening certain ports on the router and firewall, (your VOIP provider's website should tell you which ports to open).

Good luck.

airborne_artist
5th Sep 2006, 16:00
You'll be glad to hear that I solved the problem by hard-wiring the PC to the router, thanks to a £4.99 RJ45 cable from fleabay, a tent pole, some string, and my drill!

It works fine, so the issue was the wi-fi link, I reckon. I'm not going to look further, anyway.

FWIW the Tesco VoIP handset (rebadged USR 9600) is OK, for £9.99. Use it fine with sipgate, Tesco (Freshtel in drag) and Freecall. The skype drivers are on the USR site I understand. The Tesco system (like Sipgate) allocates a UK 01xxx xxxxxx number for free, which costs £20 odd on Skype I believe. I'm sending one back with my brother in law to Oz, so his mum can call him for free (as she has BT Option2), as she'll be calling a standard UK number.

LD Max
5th Sep 2006, 16:42
You'll be glad to hear that I solved the problem by hard-wiring the PC to the router, thanks to a £4.99 RJ45 cable from fleabay, a tent pole, some string, and my drill!
It works fine, so the issue was the wi-fi link, I reckon. I'm not going to look further, anyway.
FWIW the Tesco VoIP handset (rebadged USR 9600) is OK, for £9.99. Use it fine with sipgate, Tesco (Freshtel in drag) and Freecall. The skype drivers are on the USR site I understand. The Tesco system (like Sipgate) allocates a UK 01xxx xxxxxx number for free, which costs £20 odd on Skype I believe. I'm sending one back with my brother in law to Oz, so his mum can call him for free (as she has BT Option2), as she'll be calling a standard UK number.

Cool. :ok:

You may also be interested in internetcalls.com or freecall.com (same company - different call plans).
They both offer free calls to many countries incl US + mobile and UK landlines only. Costs only 10 euros for 120 days of free calls, credit never expires, free calls are topped up every time you renew credit and you get a free VOIP IN number. Easy to install client on your PC, but will work with any SIP compatible phone. You can also divert VOIP IN calls to any other number at the VOIP rates (or free).

I've also just bought a Sipura SPA-3000 VOIP router / switcher, which converts all my phones and extensions in the house to VOIP phones, and can connect incoming calls from the PSTN to VOIP and vice-versa. (So you can call your home number on your mobile phone, and connect to the US).

Haven't connected it up yet though, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Agent86
8th Sep 2006, 01:12
BC ..It depends if you are using a software VOIP solution like X-Lyte (http://support.counterpath.net/) or a hardware phone ATA which you plug a normal phone into. The hardware can be built in to the Router or be a standalone ATA. All you need is an always on broadband connection ..ADSL/Cable/Unwired/Iburst ...
I use an Iburst modem in the hotel and call out thru X-Lyte or Skype from my laptop ...beats paying $1.00 for a local call and I won't even think about long distance:yuk:
Max