PDA

View Full Version : Logging heli hrs

Sean H
29th Aug 2006, 19:17
Hi guys,
I would like to know that if I get my PPL H on say an R22, and if I then fly in a A109 but the A109 is not a registered training aircraft nor is the Pilot that flys it,
When Im sitting in the Co-pilots seat can I log them hrs as PIC or P2 Or can I log them at all or do I HAVE TO have a Type rating on the 109 BEFORE i can log as P2??????????
Thanks for the replys,
Sean :ok:

Heliport
29th Aug 2006, 19:36
Can you log time as Pilot in Command or P2 by sitting in a front seat of a twin engined helicopter you don't know how to operate and you're not qualified to fly?

What do you think the answer is?

Aesir
29th Aug 2006, 19:45
No Sean, you can not log the hours.

helicopter-redeye
29th Aug 2006, 20:21
Hi guys,
but the A109 is not a registered training aircraft ..... nor is the Pilot that flys it,

The bit that attracted me was the second half of the sentence above ... :E

Whirlygig
29th Aug 2006, 20:35
Even if the aircraft was registered with a TRTO and you had a 109 rating, you still could not log P2 hours as the 109 is not a two-pilot aircraft.

Cheers

Whirls

Helipolarbear
29th Aug 2006, 21:10
Depends on how the operator uses it and if it has multicrew designation issued by the 'Authority' concerned!:rolleyes:

rudestuff
30th Aug 2006, 17:41
what about if you're flying as passenger and the pilot has a heart attack/passes out/falls out - and you have to take control. can you log the time then?!

Heliport
30th Aug 2006, 17:50
No, but you'll get lots of local media coverage - assuming you live to tell the tale. :)

SASless
30th Aug 2006, 18:19
Now....under the FAA system....someone without a license of any kind....without any medical.....who went out and bought hisself a P-51 Mustang (for instance....or say a Bell 212 IFR helicopter) could grab a book....read up on flying....and log every single minute he flew the machine, day, night, IFR, whatever.

The rest of the story gets complicated.

He might find hisself a ward of the Federal Government for an indeterminate period of time, paying a steep tithe to the same government and have a ban imposed on gaining future licenses......but every single minute can go into a log book as P1 for every minute he was the sole manipulator of the controls. He might not be able to use that time towards a license or rating....but he is perfectly entitled to log the time. It is illegal time but he did in fact fly the machine and thus can log the time. It goes for naught but bad news but it is logged time if he desires.

Why not in the UK system?

noblades
30th Aug 2006, 19:32
sean

I think my fellow ppruners may have jumped at the kneejerk answer (not that I'm implying that they are wrong) but judging by your posted age, experience and maybe your location :} I think that you were asking for genuine guidance. It is a hazardous journey to getting your PPl especially if you are getting questionable advice from probably limit knowledge instructors and if it's from high time one's then???? wow

but to sum up the previous replies, NO you cant log toward any future use, mind you it would be handy, thinking of all the times I sat in the back of 737s etc when I could have been logging serious turbine time :ok: