PDA

View Full Version : Flying for CHC Scotia or Bristow: info needed by french pilot

EC145Pilot
29th Aug 2006, 06:25
Good day

I have a few questions about becoming a pilot for North Sea operators based in Aberdeen and flying to offshore platforms.
I have a CPL IR, 1000 hours TT including 500 multi engine and 250 hours on EFIS helicopters (EC145). I currently fly for the french gendarmerie (Police) and would like to move to something different in the coming 2 to 3 years (which should bring me to 2000 hours TT).

1 Do I need the ATPL (H) theory to fly for a north sea operator or my current licences and experience is enough?
2 Is life in Aberdeen enjoyable (for a foreign family)?
3 What is the « take home after taxes » salary when starting?
4 How many days of leave?
5 Is it possible to go to Aberdeen and visit Bristow or CHC Scotia and meet pilots? (I'd like go there with my family to see if everyone would like this new life)

Thanks.:ok:

the beater
29th Aug 2006, 07:17
Are you sure you're French? Your English puts most of the contributors to this forum to shame.

1. You will not require ATPL theory as a co-pilot and a lack of this should not be a factor on employment on the North Sea; however, you would need this to gain an ATPL in order to become a commander.

2. You can make it as enjoyable (or miserable) as you like. Fantastic walking/fishing/shooting within easy reach, and low(ish) house prices once you move a few miles from the city centre.

3. This will depend on your experience at the time of starting, but they do employ some of the most experienced pilots in the industry, so it is likely to be more than you're on at present (and CHC leads the industry as regards pay and roster deals (see 4)).

4. No leave as such, but an equal-time roster gives you a day off for every day worked.

5. I'm sure that someone will reply with an offer to show you around; it's a very friendly company, certainly made me feel welcome.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
29th Aug 2006, 07:28
beater,

Reference your answer to 5, which one is a friendly company ? And does that mean the other company is unfriendly ?

NEO

SiClick
29th Aug 2006, 07:28
Hi EC145
Unless the French have recently signed up to JAR Ops 3 and FCL2, you will have to get your license converted, and from my experience with the French licensing authority, that is not going to be easy.
The French have taken JAR Ops 1, and FCL 1, but as at a year ago, they were not JAR for helicopters.
Best wishes
Si

EC145Pilot
29th Aug 2006, 07:37
So that everyone knows, I make around 4500€ "after taxes" per month as captain and unit commander for the french Gendarmerie.

Thanks for this quick answer.

the beater
29th Aug 2006, 07:55
a) I would have thought that the reference to the company that I made would have been obvious from the title.

b) No.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
29th Aug 2006, 08:00
OK. Just re-read your post and it doesn't jump out at me which company in that particular context, but maybe I need to wait for the hangover to wear off a bit more.........

Cheers,

NEO

finalchecksplease
29th Aug 2006, 08:26
NEO,
It's all in the title above the Beater’s first post, didn't see it the first time myself.
Know all about the "Star" effects... :E
EC145,
You probably will not see a big rise in your take home pay to start with but the earning potential is greater in the long run. But living cost here are more expensive, in my experience one Pound here will buy you the same as one Euro does on the continent. Housing cost wise it will depends where you are currently living in France, have a look on this website for prices around Aberdeen: http://www.aspc.co.uk/
As SiClick says I would contact the DGAC to make sure where they stand on the JAR front to avoid problems later on.
Good idea to come and see it for yourself (and family), also a good time to go and meet the different companies, let me know when you are going to be around.
Bonne chance :ok:
Greetings,
Finalchecksplease

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
29th Aug 2006, 08:35
fcp,

Many thanks, I see it now. Yup, think I'll pop another Paracetomol and take a power nap:ouch:

Cheers,

NEO

EC145Pilot
29th Aug 2006, 08:51
Thanks to you all.

I've already checked with the DGAC (french CAA) as the JAR FCL were implemented this year in France. I now have a JAR FCL 3 CPL and took my IFR training and checkride under the JAR FCL3 "reign". So no problem anymore, I now have a "real" (just kidding!) CPL IR ME JAR licence.

I live in Paris (I am in charge of the Gendarmerie Unit for the region around Paris) so the cost of living is high. But the housing is paid for by the Gendarmerie. When I wrote that my income is 4500€/month; it's 3500€ salary and the equivalent of 1000€ for housing.

Cheers.

gnz
29th Aug 2006, 09:30
Hello les bleues (by opposition to the red's).
Why don't you think to the french offshore operator like H.U?
IMHO it'll grow up your logbook easier than a foreign company.
I'm, as you're, engaged with the nation, and looking what's the matter outside.
My opinion is that if you don't need the ATPL(H) for being a co-pilot, most of the applicants hold a dry one (meaning the theory part).
For instance, the H.U prerequisites are CPL-I.R(H)-ME+PL certificates.
Are you sure you already convert your old 81' license into a brand new FCL 2 one?
It's now possible since the 1st of July and requires a huge paperwork as DGAC likes (have a lookTHERE (http://www.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/prospace/licences/conversion_licence_helico.htm))

EC145Pilot
29th Aug 2006, 10:31
GNZ

Paperwork is being processed for my CPL and IR. It might take a month or two but I consider it done.
I won't work for HU (Héli Union a french offshore operator for those who don't know) since I intend to move to the UK to work and live with my family. Spending six months (or even weeks) in africa and coming back in France does not suit my wife, nor I.
Rather keep my job in that case.
More info about CHC Scotia and Bristow welcomed.

Cheers,

Impress to inflate
29th Aug 2006, 11:02
There are three flights a day from Paris CDG to Aberdeen so you could pop up to Aberdeen to see the companies. The contact point at CHC is Pete Walmsley, switch board number 01224 846000. Bristows Aberdeen number is 01224 723151, good luck.

NorthSeaTiger
29th Aug 2006, 12:13
Are you not also considering Bond offshore helicopters ? They run a fleet of 7 AS332 L2's and will be getting the EC225 in early 2008, they are primarily a crew change operation but have 2 offshore based SAR machines.

NST

JimL
29th Aug 2006, 12:21
EC145Pilot,

Good luck - along with others on the thread I am pleasantly surprised by your command of English. It looks like the Gendarme's loss will be the UK's gain. You will not be the first French pilot working on the UK side of the North Sea, in the late 70s there were others - all working as Commanders.

SiClick,

I cannot let your remark pass without comment; the French were one of the first States to incorporate JAR-OPS 3 in their regulations (many years ago) - as French Ops 3. Whilst it is true that they have some local variations, they are no more - and probably less - than some States closer to home.

Jim

cpt
29th Aug 2006, 20:58
Bonjour EC145,

As a French, I've worked for a North Sea operator in late 90's and settled in whith my family in a small Linconshire market town .
I can tell you it hes been a wonderfull experience, I've met true professionals doing their job without the fus and show-up as we usually find elsewhere amongst our noisy and windy rotorhead community. I can say I've learned a lot, professionaly but also humanly.
My family also enjoyed it very much.
Only reasons not directly linked to the "UK environment" made me leave this country. I must also admitt that the routine aspect of the flights made me looked again towards the helicopter gipsy-free-lance job I had known before...But as you already know, we are cursed....

HeliComparator
29th Aug 2006, 21:48
Just to clarify JimL's point (if I dare!) of course he will be correct about when France adopted JAR-OPS, but its JAR-FCL 2 that has been the problem for French pilots. The French have very recently adopted JAR-FCL 2. So EC145pilot if you have / will be getting a JAR-FCL2 compliant licence there is no problem (don't know what a JAR-FCL3 licence is - a mistake I hope!). French pilots only having a French National licence have a bit of a problem as the UK CAA doesn't recognise the licence directly, though they can be persuaded to give a validation.

Regarding the salary, I think you can expect more as a captain but bear in mind you will not walk into a command if you have no offshore experience and no ATPL.

But I would expect that Parisians endure a higher cost of living that Aberdonians, though the coffee is better in Paris!..

HC

SASless
29th Aug 2006, 23:26
However all that being said....a French gal will catch your attention....but a Scottish lass will keep it.

Should not matter to our friend here as he is bringing his own.

Heli-Ice
29th Aug 2006, 23:28
JAR-FCL3 is the medical part of the JAR's so no license from that.

JAR-FCL3 describes the health requirements for the issue of medical certificates to pilots, mechanics and air traffic controllers and maybe some other good people that I didn't read about.

SiClick
30th Aug 2006, 08:08
JimL
Last year I was involved in a JAR Operation, that employed French Pilots. The French licensed pilots all had to fly on temporary validations as the French had not accepted JAR-OPS 3.
The French would not accept the JAR type ratings, OPC's or IR renewals done by JAA examiners, as the examiners were not approved by the French authority. This meant a lot of checks needed to be done twice.
I am not familiar with the French regulations, and it may be that they are compliant with JAR OPS 3, but whilst they had not signed up, their compliance was useless.
I am pleased to hear that these problems will now remain in the past as the French signed up this year.
Best wishes
Si

JimL
30th Aug 2006, 09:15
SiClick,

I have no wish to hijack this thread but others should be aware that there is a distinction between the licensing issues of JAR-FCL 2 and the operational issues of JAR-OPS 3 - in particular Subpart N. The responsibility for operational training and checking is a matter for the AOC holder (you didn't state whether in your example it was French or British so your point was not clear to me).

You cannot carry over operational qualifications between AOC holders as you can Licensing qualifications. The matter is complicated only because the training department of the AOC holder usually carries out all functions (licensing and operational qualification).

In so much as there is an issue for EC145Pilot, it will only be in respect of his license. His induction, type ratings and operational qualifications will all be addressed by the operator.

In respect of his current employer, there is no necessity to apply OPS 3 as the operations are outside its scope (although it is likely, as with the UK, that there are good reasons why it should be seen as best practice and applied where possible).

Jim

SiClick
30th Aug 2006, 09:31
JimL
The problem has now gone away, so this discussion is pointless.
However last year French Helicopter Pilots could not fly a JAA (German) registered Helicopter on a French License.
Last year the French authorities would not accept a Type Rating Check conducted by a JAA Examiner.
Thats how it was.
Si

JimL
30th Aug 2006, 09:38
Thanks SiClick - now all is clear.

Jim

Wanna-be
31st Aug 2006, 18:08
Are you not also considering Bond offshore helicopters ? They run a fleet of 7 AS332 L2's and will be getting the EC225 in early 2008, they are primarily a crew change operation but have 2 offshore based SAR machines.

NST

What is their website? I only found www.bondoffshorehelicopters.com (http://www.bondoffshorehelicopters.com) and doesnt show info or anything else, just a dedicate response :confused:

NorthSeaTiger
1st Sep 2006, 13:41
Dont know their contact details but someone on here will be able to help you out.

NST

Martin1234
1st Sep 2006, 16:35
Go to http://www.yellowpages.co.uk/, put in the company name in the appropriate box and then click search. ;)