PDA

View Full Version : Start up and partition problems

jimgriff
28th Aug 2006, 20:19
Greetings one and all.

Major problem on bootup. Wifey was using PC hours earlier with no problems. Am up to date with all MS updates and running Norton Antivirus 2006 also updated regularly.
Gets to the XP logo and goes back to bootup in a terminal loop.

Have booted with the seagate hard drive utility and done a full diagnostics of the disk and it tells me that I have a critical error on partition 1!
I loaded windows XP onto the second harddrive on PC and booted into that and then I can see all the files on the original drive that I cant boot from.
I have scandisked and defragged origainal "C" drive and run the disk fix diagnostics that come with windows and it still wont boot from old drive. Drive is a Seagate 80meg 12 months old.

Have dragged all data files I need to my second hard drive.

QUESTIONS:
1. Anyone got a fix?
2. Should I just format the 'C' drive and reload programmes I need onto this whils I backup the data I need on slave?
3. What could have caused this?

regards

Jimgriff

jetcollie
29th Aug 2006, 09:46
You could try the solution I gave in an earlier thread:

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897&pgno=1&queryText=

This will 'repair' your windows without deleting any data or programmes - it just might save you some time. You will need to visit windows update afterwards to get the latest fixes.

jimgriff
2nd Sep 2006, 23:50
Thanks for that jetcollie....Tried it and didnt work:{

Had to format the hard drive and re build windows. Never mind...Works a lot better now!!:ok: