PDA

View Full Version : Thalassemia Minor and Class 1 Medical

GezHeli
28th Aug 2006, 10:09
Can anyone out there who suffers from or has experience with Thalassemia Minor give me information on whether it is restricted under the Aviation Medicals or how it can affect someone considering a career as a pilot. I'm checking this out for a friend who is an international student in Australia trying to get her PPL but CASA seem unsure whether or not to allow her to continue as she has Thalassemia Minor. Which is a bit ridiculous as this condition would not impair her ability to fly!?!?! any thoughts?? cheers for any help...

Scoobster
28th Aug 2006, 23:27
Hi GezHeli

The condition Thalassemia Minor is heridetary and is common to those of Asian and African origin. Many people often associate the condition as being a disease, which in essence depends on the type of thalassemia. It is a form of Anemia that incorporates red blood cell deficiency and I guess it would depend on what type of Thalassemia your friend has and if she has the Beta form or the Alpha form.

From the contents of your post it appears as though she has the Beta Form (Thalassemia Minor) also known as 'Beta Thalassemia Trait'. People with Beta Thalassemia Trait lead perfectly active and normal lives but are identified as being 'a carrier' of Thalassemia i.e. they have one normal gene and one Thalassemia Gene in all body cells, it is this state which is referred to as Thalassemia Trait.

Thalassemia Trait need only be a cause for concern if 2 people who are 'both carriers' of the gene decide to marry and hence the heridetary nature means that there is a one in four chance that the children may end up having Thalassemia Major.

I know of no reason why CASA should not allow your friend to fly as it has no bearing upon concentration, physical or mental abilities or anything else that would impair your friends ability to fly. She may be identified as having a slight form of anaemia but this is easily treatable. In contrast to CASA I know of pilots that have been granted FAA Class 1 Medical who have Thalassemia Trait.

Hope that has helped some what.

Scoobster

GezHeli
29th Aug 2006, 07:09
cheers scoobster.. that does help.

sanjay arora
31st Aug 2006, 16:02
well i do agree with scoobster infact i had recently been tested for thal beta trait nothing to worry in india u can fly with this as long as ur hemo is 11.5 or above its the same as icao

sanjay arora
31st Aug 2006, 16:04
well i do agree with scoobster infact i had recently been tested for thal beta trait nothing to worry in india u can fly with this as long as ur hemo is 11.5 or above its the same as icaoand that also aft getting 20 class 1 medicals in my pocket

Scoobster
31st Aug 2006, 20:32
I think this may be of help you... http://www.ukts.org/

Check it out.