PDA

View Full Version : Minimum takeoff distance C182 on grass?

Rozandshu
28th Aug 2006, 08:12
Hi All,

I'm trying to establish the minimum length that a grass strip needs to be for a MAUW Cessna 182Q to safely takeoff. I'm getting the POH but just now can anyone give me a ballpark figure of the distance that the strip should be assuming short grass. Cheers

drauk
28th Aug 2006, 08:57
Depends on lots of factors of course, but 400m of grass has never been a problem for me, with a good margin. The first time I left a short strip I later discovered I'd had the parking brake on for the entire take-off roll, though it might say more about the efficacy of the parking brake (and my stupidity) than anything else.

Longbow55
2nd Sep 2006, 04:09
Don't accept any ballpark.
As PIC, you are responsibe for determing the Short Field Takeoff Distance for your particular location. Determine your density altitude and work it out and be conservative. Also take into account the age of your engine and the fact that it may not be pulling all the horses that it had when it was new.

As CA Flyer said, I flew a 182 out of Little Gransden and with full fuel and 4 people, mind you full fuel was 100 gallons usable. we used short field technique with no problems.

S-Works
2nd Sep 2006, 09:55
Don't accept any ballpark.
As PIC, you are responsibe for determing the Short Field Takeoff Distance for your particular location. Determine your density altitude and work it out and be conservative. Also take into account the age of your engine and the fact that it may not be pulling all the horses that it had when it was new.

He did point out that he was getting the POH and was just asking for a ballpark. You know the sort of thing, I want to go to X ballpark the aircraft needs XXXm and the strip is XXX so maybe not worth the effort of doing all the calcs....

As a ballpark my 172XP which is the 210BHP wobbly prop variant uses 170m ground roll at max weight which is full fuel and 4 POB.

pistongone
2nd Sep 2006, 10:44
I prefer to use the real world check. Assuming you are not at the short strip already, make a mental note of your ground roll at your departure field. Most field i fly from have runway centre lines, and someone at the field usually knows the spacing of those lines. With this information you can make an accurate estimate of your ground roll. Then factor in the differences, long/short grass, wet dry and wind etc for your short strip. This method takes out all the unknowns such as how many horses have died since your engine was new! Indeed, many engines NEVER produce the claimed output, the converse of that is occaisionally you will get a "GOOD" engine that seems to out perform all your mates:} . Bottom line is know your plane!

B2N2
2nd Sep 2006, 12:23
Instead of taking distance numbers for a hard surface how about going to a loooong grass runway and just doing some take-offs and landings at or close to MTOW.
That will give you a realistic number for your airplane under MAX conditions which you usually do not fly.
Add another 20% for the kids and any other variables and you should be on the safe side.
POH are notoriously vague about grass runways. Some wil say add 20% some will recommend adding 40%.
There are too many variables to just use a calculated number;
*length of grass
* wet, dry or intermediate
*surface below the grass, clay, sandy or otherwise.

I have learned the scary way to be carefull with grass and never to assume that the ground roll will be the same on different days.

theresalwaysone
3rd Sep 2006, 12:45
For some professional advice have a look at

http://madeinbirmingham.org/kiss/askcaptainjon.htm

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\short grass strips