PDA

View Full Version : How to lose a JAA Class 1 Medical?

MediQ
27th Aug 2006, 21:01
For what reasons have people lost their Class 1 medicals in the past? Strange question? Yes, but something I think should be asked. I have recently got an initial Class 1.

The area I'm most concerned about is the ECG, which I haven't been able to do properly, but I've still obtained a Class 1. I am VERY nervous around medical personnel, so my heart races, not too uncommon looking at some of the threads. Instead of doing a Stress-ECG, my cardiologist ( not affiliated with the CAA) said I should do an echo instead, because the same problem would appear in the stress-ECG. The CAA passed me, but said I may have to do a Stress-ECG if I don't do a proper ECG when it is due to be renewed in a few years. What if I mess up the ECG and the stress-ECG? What would be the next step? I seriously can't control my nerves when it comes to doctors etc. The ECG shows varying ST and T waves due to Sinus Tachycardia, and my heart was around 105-120bpm, so there wasn't enough blood pumping through. I think it said something about inferior ischemia(?). After the echo, my cardiologist said that I was entirely asymptomatic. Probably a stupid question, but when you're exercising and your heart rate is above 100bpm, would sinus tachycardia and varying ST and T waves still be present? Or would the fact that you're moving/exercising rather than lying down increase blood flow? Has anyone experienced this situation? Any advice rhovsquared?

Apart from that, I think if you eat healthily than the blood and urine tests won't be any problem. My sight and hearing should also be fine. Any other reasons why people have lost medicals?

Lucifer
28th Aug 2006, 01:30
You come across as somewhat of a hypocondriac. Though understandable that you worry that you could lose your livelihood for a number of reasons, understand that these are so broad that they are personal to you usually, and unless you want a textbook they cannot be listed.

Relax, exercise and eat well, and you have nothing to fear. Your anxiety will otherwise become a vicious circle around doctors.

Here's a thought - when you next think of this topic, go on a run instead of reading PPRuNe.

MediQ
28th Aug 2006, 12:50
Well, I'm most concerned about the ECG, so I'd really appreciate advice on my first two questions in bold. Apart from that, I think eating healthily and exercising should keep me medically fit. I didn't mean to come across as a hypocondriac, but as I'm sure you can understand, I want to be informed about my ECG situation.

What if I mess up the ECG and the stress-ECG? What would be the next step?

When you're exercising and your heart rate is above 100bpm, would sinus tachycardia and varying ST and T waves still be present?

Coanda F. Eckt
28th Aug 2006, 13:08
Sounds like stress. Trust the fact that the echo showed nothing unusual. There is a term -- "white coat blood preassure" -- describing this phenomenon. On next examination, be sure to tell the doctor beforehand, they've seen it before. Also you might want to check out some easy relaxation techniques you could use when taking the ECG.

Farrell
28th Aug 2006, 14:51
I always get white coat hypertension and always mention it to the doctor before they take my blood pressure and they always factor it in.

tonypool
1st Sep 2006, 20:03
At the age of 20 I went for an initial Class 1 medical and my ECG reading was all over the place.

The CAA refered me to a hospital in Chertsey where I had an Ultrasound on my heart - No Problem was found.

The CAA later fitted with a 24hr heart recorder, which recorded the my heart over a 24hr period. - No Problem was found.

I then returned to the CAA, again. This time I did a "stress test", basically walking on a treadmill that had an incline that got steeper and steeper while monitered to a heart machine. - No Problem was found.

They issued my Class 1 medical. They put it down to just nerves.

As a footnote, in Febuary I renewed my medical at Gatwick. I got sight of my 20 yr old ECG. After speaking to the Doctor and looking at how erratic my heartbeat was then, I was impressed with the way the CAA looked at this initial problem and looked at ways to see if there was a real problem with my heart. :ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
1st Sep 2006, 22:13
You can not 'mess up' your ECG.

It is nowt more than a recording of the electrical activity of your heart, bit like taking a picture of you.

There are a gazillion reasons why the ECG can not look like a bog standard one. The art is in differentiating between what is a variant and what is an expression of an abnormality or disease.

That sometimes requires additional tests.

After passing the intial medical few people drop out but can do so for the usual problems people develop later in life.

Interestingly enough I read somewhere that the most common cause for loss of medicals in the States is chain saw accidents. Not been able to verify that yet but seemed an interesting snippet.

MediQ
2nd Sep 2006, 09:01
You can not 'mess up' your ECG

Well, that's sort of what I did, because of white coat hypertension. I have done other tests. I did an echo (ultrasound) instead of the stress ECG, and got my medical. But, in the future if I "mess up" my ECG, I will have to do a stress ECG. That's why I asked the questions I did. I've explained my situation in more detail in my first post.

Please, just answer these two questions:

What if I 'mess up' the ECG and the stress-ECG? What would be the next step?

When you're exercising and your heart rate is above 100bpm, would sinus tachycardia and varying ST and T waves still be present?

Re-entry
4th Sep 2006, 12:59
MediQ. The overwhelming majority of med denials are due to heart problems.

H Ferguson
4th Sep 2006, 17:57
my blood pressure is always a bit high when i have it taken for a medical:uhoh:
the nurse said that it's due to white coat syndrome. i could have told her that been an attractive woman didn't help,:O but i didn't

Finals19
4th Oct 2006, 00:12
Same problem here. And its totally frustrating, which is a vicious circle I know. For the most part my BP runs at about 120-130/75-85 with a standing pulse of about 55. But as soon as I go to the jolly old AME, you can guarantee it goes up to 140/90, sometimes more.

I am considering a JAA ATPL course and know I have to go to Gatwick to get a class 1. What kind of policy do they have on this common type of phenomena and would they require a 24hr ambulatory tape as back up of normal BP?

Any answers greatly appreciated.:ok:

londonmet
12th Dec 2006, 15:27
Finals

Please check your PM's :ok:

Many thanks,

L Met

BlipOnTheRadar
13th Dec 2006, 17:34
Oh how I would love to have the opportunity to lose a CAA class 1... the truth is though, those good doctors at Aviation House will not even allow me the dignity to fail one... it's my money, let me waste it!! At least then I can say I tried. I never give up without a fight... so it looks like this fight will be taken to the European court of human rights... oh, and to ICAO... I think it's about time they were made aware of the CAA's illegal operations and breach of international regulations.
Failing that... I'll just fly without a CAA medical.
The court injunction says I'm not allowed within 200 yards of Aviation House... they did not specify if that is horizontally or vertically.
Before I get flamed again... I would like to add that flying is meant to be fun... serious, yes... but fun too... do not lose your sense of humour :=

Rollt
9th Jan 2007, 08:58
Hi all, I've been trying to look around. What about chances of someone loosing license due to degrading eyesight? I'm about to start frozen ATPL but i'm already at borderline eyesight with myopia +4.75. I've passed the CAA medical 1st time. I believe they would test for snellen next time around again right? What would happen if i don't pass it? Help!

Thomas coupling
20th Jan 2007, 11:27
MediQ: I've been there done that.
If you fail your ECG medical they send you to see a cardiologist who does:
Blood tests
Ultrasound
Holter monitor
Stress test
Then and only then do you know what state you are in.
They cleared me with benign ectopics and that was 6yrs ago. EVERY time I go for my 6 monthly ECG I suffer massive white coat syndrome and my heart goes beserk.
The AME is aware of this but what he is looking for, is NOT what has been recorded for posperity but what has : CHANGED on the readout. Then and only then will they put you back thru the mill to assess your physiological status.
If you fail the cardiologists tests on a second time round - your licence is revoked.
Then you've got to get a proper job.
The CAA are very supportive and don't want to take your licence away...believe me.

Can't answer the second Q. sorry.