PDA

View Full Version : which sat-nav?

Duff beer
27th Aug 2006, 19:14
Anyone recommend a good sat-nav system for my car?

Would like one which can download speed-camera locations and let me know when approaching one.
Im also toying with the idea if getting a laser detector, are there any systems which can be integrated into the sat nav?

Thanks chaps.

Tacklebury
27th Aug 2006, 19:23
Get a tom tom, I know the 'one' won't display camera info but the more expensive ones will.

You can't be a Tom Tom, they are the mutts nuts mate.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=1

That'll tell you all you need to know.

Simon

PPRuNe Pop
27th Aug 2006, 19:29
I have a NAVMAN and although mine does not locate speed cams I have a small Talex that does.

NAVMAN has very much going for it and I have all the confidence I need for it to get me from A to B in the fastest time - subject to the damned road works these days!

planecrazy.eu
27th Aug 2006, 20:08
TomTom is the best, NavMan and Sony would come second. I have sold TomTom for more or less two years now and they have caused the least trouble and have been by far the most easiest, reliable and most functional GPS we have ever stocked. Go for the 510, its a great all round GPS or i noticed in todays paper the TomTom One for £200, thats a Bargain. I have noticed the NavMans going for the same price, but i have found them not to be as feature rich as the TomTom. The TomTom cant be beat on ease of use, nor can it be beat on finding addresses quicker.

TomTom is great for speed cameras too, it tells me if i am entering a hot spot for police activity, it tells me where the temp cameras are on the motorway, and most important it lists the fixed cameras. Gives 200m or so warning, some cases on the motorway a mile.

I have the 510, i couldnt warrant the extra Money on the 710 or 910 as i dont go to Europe in my car, nor do i go to the states in my car. The 510 can get me to the main places in Europe though if i ever needed it.

Saab Dastard
27th Aug 2006, 20:40
I pulled up alongside a Surrey Police car at a traffic lights, and noticed that it had what looked awfully like a TomTom unit on the dash!

I guess they don't care if it shows the traffic cameras or not... :hmm:

If it's good enough for plod... ;)

SD

Practice Auto 3,2,1
27th Aug 2006, 20:59
Tom Tom for me too.

Ive had my 700 for a good few months now and it hasnt got me lost yet.

If you want one that tells you where Gatso's are, I think Road Angel sell one that combines sat-nav and their speed camera database. Ive never used this though so I cant say how good it is!

Conan the Librarian
27th Aug 2006, 22:25
Used my Dell PDA with Copilot 6 Live in anger the other day and it got me to within 15 metres of where I wanted to go. Sadly, after I got out of the car, I got lost.

Conan

spannersatcx
28th Aug 2006, 07:47
Have a look http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ and have a read of the forums.

Tom Tom has not been without it's problems! Although I have a wired PDA type. Don't subscribe to Tom Tom's camera database it is an expensive rip off.

The speed camera database at pocketgps is far cheaper and probably more upto date.

Legally the speed camera database is not a problem as it is not a detctor, those are illegal.

I believe the speed camera database can be installed on a TT 700. see here (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18701)