PDA

View Full Version : AFCO Catchment Areas and Request for Advice for Preparation

mrmister
27th Aug 2006, 17:51
Hello - I've not posted here before so I hope I'm posting this in the right area.

I know you're all probably busy but I'm hoping you might be able to help me, so thanks in advance for reading this far! :)

1). How does one go about finding out the catchment areas for the RAF AFCOs? Is there a resource online or elsewhere which I could access to say where I would be sent to for an interview etc?

2). Do you have any advice for preparing to apply to the RAF? I'm wondering what kind of work experience would be advisable, for example; and although I do take a keen interest in military affairs and so forth, it's very difficult to know where to pitch my awareness of them.

I'm making a medical application so if anybody has any experience of that side of things too or advice to offer about that, please please post something here or email me.

Many thanks in advance for any help you feel able to offer. :ok:

fantaman
27th Aug 2006, 18:12
Why not try the RAF careers website, heres a link to the AFCO locator. If your from London, I would immagine the closest to you would be the London AFCO on Bloomsbury Way.

However, I'm sure its your choice which AFCO you apply through. Good luck :ok:

http://www.rafcareers.com/nextsteps/afcolocator.cfm

Fantaman

mrmister
27th Aug 2006, 18:35
Thanks for a prompt response! :)

Thing is, I'm sort of on the border between three different administrative areas, and have already liased with one AFCO, who are therefore aware of my background and where I'm at.

If I move, what I don't want to happen is to have to start dealing with another AFCO altogether from scratch, particularly as certain AFCOs seem to be somewhat less cooperative than others?

So I'm wondering if there's a website where I can plug in my prospective postcode and find out to which AFCO that postcode would be assigned.

If I remember correctly, there used to be such a facility online somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now - I distinctly remember using it in the past.

I could be mistaken though...

Sorry if I sound like I'm restating one of my original questions! :O

Thanks again.

mrmister
27th Aug 2006, 20:25
Here is a revolutionary idea, why don't you contact the AFCO you have been dealing with and pose these questions to them...........................:cool: Good luck.

No need to be sarcastic! I already did, hence my posting this thread. ;)

The person with whom I spoke took the rather abrupt official line that all AFCOs behave in the same manner (a view I happen to disagree with), and that you get told where you're going upon having applied for an interview etc. The person was quite dismissive, and suggested that this shouldn't be a hurdle for a decent applicant.

However, consider the following scenario.

Suppose I feel in my experience that the staff at an office in administrative region X are demoralised, stressed, rude, aggressive and obstructive. Suppose also that I feel a key member of staff disapproved of such applications for reasons known only to himself.

Suppose I also feel in my experience that the staff at another office are helpful, courteous and encouraging, are well aware of my exemplary CV and background and have never been obstructive even once.

It would be helpful to know which postcodes get referred to which office - it's hard enough getting into the RAF as it is!

Ironically the person with whom I spoke on the phone shared my view that it would probably make sense for such a system to be readily available.

mrmister
27th Aug 2006, 21:05
If you feel that your careers office is being obstructive, something I really cant see then why dont you complain to the OC of the office.

Because that's not going to help me get in, is it!

You may not feel that happens, but I assure you that there are obstructive people out there.

It's not my careers office; it's the careers office local to some areas I was thinking about moving to.

I don't really want to move to somewhere where I'm going to get shipped off to a careers office that has no interest in helping prospective candidates.

I'd rather just somehow look up which areas get referred to where so I know where not to move to! lol

3portdrift
27th Aug 2006, 21:07
Are you sure that you are allocated an AFCO based on your postcode? Never heard of that myself. I'd say just get yourself along to the AFCO that deals with you in the more constructive manner and crack on from there. Surely having to start the process again is a small price to pay for a more positive, constructive approach?

Everyone I know that has applied has gone to an AFCO and arranged to do the subsequent interviews at the same AFCO, none have mentioned being allocated to other AFCOs for interviews etc.

Go ask on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ Armed Forces forum, where most of the participants have recently or are currently dealing with AFCOs and the selection process

Comp Charlie
28th Aug 2006, 05:58
I seriously doubt you would find AFCO staff who are 'suffering' from the degree of apathy you suggest. After all, they are all subject to a suitability interview and a month long course at RAF Cranwell and any obstructiveness gene in candidates would be picked up there surely before they got to the 'frontline'.

I've never heard of allocation of AFCO depending on postcode. Certainly when I joined up I went to Gloucester CIO even though there were 3 other career offices closer to my home address. Not once was it ever suggested I go to these.

After all, isn't the trick to get you through the door in the first place? Why would you be sent elsewhere? Wouldn't surprise me if each AFCO has a certain quota of enlistments they have to fulfill, so it wouldn't make any sense to send a potential recruit to another office.

Try the RAF 'Flagship' AFCO in St Georges Court in Central London. At the very least you can have a bit of a shop on Oxford Street afterwards or take in a gig at The Astoria (or if its a G.A.Y. night there it might even help on your application form!! :E )

Good luck, but don't dismiss the staff as obstructive unless you have directly experienced it yourself, in which case help out others by naming and shaming the individual to the OC - after all, we don't need those kind of people in the AFCO's IMHO.

CC

mrmister
28th Aug 2006, 12:30
Try the RAF 'Flagship' AFCO in St Georges Court in Central London. At the very least you can have a bit of a shop on Oxford Street afterwards or take in a gig at The Astoria (or if its a G.A.Y. night there it might even help on your application form!! :E )

But that's part of the problem. I think the guy I dealt with resented the gay issue. Not that I'm camp or anything but I think he picked up on that.

I dunno how best to deal with that issue.

Any advice? Also any advice please about the other questions I asked? (see below)

2). Do you have any advice for preparing to apply to the RAF? I'm wondering what kind of work experience would be advisable, for example; and although I do take a keen interest in military affairs and so forth, it's very difficult to know where to pitch my awareness of them.

I'm making a medical application so if anybody has any experience of that side of things too or advice to offer about that, please please post something here or email me.

Private messages welcome too.

Comp Charlie
28th Aug 2006, 12:37
If you feel you were discriminated against due to your sexuality then that is a serious matter and I would say you owe it to yourself and others to make a complaint against the individual.

CC

mrmister
28th Aug 2006, 13:07
I dunno about that, it's more trouble than it's worth!

I'm more interested in getting into the RAF quite frankly.

c130 alm
29th Aug 2006, 21:39
My advice mate is ignore the people who try to be smart on here and either put you off or take the urine. Just read the helpfull posts. Good luck with the application.

Comp Charlie
29th Aug 2006, 21:59
Who is taking the piss? The guy feels he is being discriminated against and that is surely an issue to be taken further?

CC