PDA

View Full Version : Fully ready?????????

rodney rude
27th Aug 2006, 11:06
What is going on in HK?? What is all this "FULLY ready" rubbish??? Ready is ready isn't it. Where does any document talk about "fully ready." If I hear it one more time I will scream.

Fully pregnant???

What a bunch of sheep.

Have I been in HK too long?

Fully Rodney.

JSB
27th Aug 2006, 11:19
Amen Rodney. Seems to be prolific from ATC in BRU as well...

ClearToLand
27th Aug 2006, 14:07
You should have a look at those China airlines when they reported ready.

The Messiah
29th Aug 2006, 04:58
Believe it is a hangover from the old Gatwick days when you had to get in a 45 min queue by calling ready initially and hence later you would call fully ready, and like anything in aviation, 'if he is saying it then it must be right so i'll say it too'.

rodney rude
30th Aug 2006, 00:43
Thanks Messiah, so we can blame the poms eh??11

Well so far there has been 811 views at my question. Surely a proportion of those views are from some of the dudes calling fully ready. So PLEASE STOP. Ready is ready okay - fully ready is almost tautology.

Rod

cpdude
30th Aug 2006, 03:30
I hope you're FULLY DONE with this.:p

Nullaman
30th Aug 2006, 06:26
While I fully understand your concern over getting things exactly right a la 'the Cathay Way' I would have thought there were more important issues to waste your heartbeats on at the moment?

RP07/Lai-see/Prof share/60/DEFO etc?

Press the call bell and ask the charming young lady nicely for a calming cup of tea and make your stress levels fully disappear;)

7FF
30th Aug 2006, 07:57
rodney rude
Yes, I think it is a fair comment to say you have been in HK for too long.
The sun does actually shine during the day:E

airamerica
30th Aug 2006, 09:11
''Tower xxx, on C, taxyng for holding point A, et etc etc fully ready on reaching holding point A runway 05 ''

Do these blokes just love the sound of their own voice or don't they know that the tower needs a clearance from another sector before being able to give these twats a clearance for T/O.
Its just anoying listening to scratch scrtach scratch scratch over the radio!

Seriously!
Get a job at a radio station!

6-String
30th Aug 2006, 10:17
What "Fully Ready" does for you, the word "THE" preceeding the callsign does for me! eg. "The Birdseed 55" :yuk:

bekolblockage
30th Aug 2006, 14:55
Do these blokes just love the sound of their own voice or don't they know that the tower needs a clearance from another sector before being able to give these twats a clearance for T/O.
Whilst agreeing absolutely with your disdain for utter verbal diarrhea like "fully ready", "fully established", "THE Speedbird" and " heading 275 DEGREES(!)", I have to set you straight on the Departure release procedures in HK.
Hong Kong (and Macau) operate auto-release procedures into HK airspace. Under normal circumstances, HK Tower can fire traffic unrestricted to 5000 ft, and Macau Tower (via Zhuhai APP) to 6000 ft via LKC, at any time, without coordination, with the required inter-departure spacing.

sizematters
31st Aug 2006, 00:46
Still Just to lighten things up a bit, best ever comment on the radio ??

Heathrow controller, "Speedy 123, is that you just to the left of the centreline?"

Speedy, "Thats right sir !, and the first officers just on the right "

c ys

Re-entry
1st Sep 2006, 08:34
Never mind FULLY READY. How about Hank, Chuck, and Randy, checking oooon, three five OOO, SUmooooooth. GOT any RAAAAd Reports Y'all!!!!!

rodney rude
1st Sep 2006, 08:42
CPDUDE - my radio discipline is no better than anyone else's. I love a good laugh at a well timed one liner on the air, and I'm not averse to throwing my own witty line around now and then. My point is about the wankiness of "fully ready". The correct call is ready and saying fully ready makes not an ounce of difference to your state of readiness, ready is ready, and the correct call is a more abbreviated call. And I really don't think ATC is going to say "quick, bump him up in the queue, he's "FULLY READY." Fully ready is just stupid.

NULLAMAN - open your eyes (or should I say one eye) buddy, there are other operators in HK apart from Cathay. So 60, DEFO pax , and COS 07 is not a concern to many of us. No stress in my life dude.

7FF - let me know when you see the sun here in HK - it's usually obscured in "vis 2000m in China' left over haze."

REENTRY - you forgot to put in the obligatory "oohkay ...." in front of Biff, Rip, Chuck and Randy's transmissions.

cpdude
1st Sep 2006, 13:49
CPDUDE - my radio discipline is no better than anyone else's. I love a good laugh at a well timed one liner on the air, and I'm not averse to throwing my own witty line around now and then. My point is about the wankiness of "fully ready". The correct call is ready and saying fully ready makes not an ounce of difference to your state of readiness, ready is ready, and the correct call is a more abbreviated call. And I really don't think ATC is going to say "quick, bump him up in the queue, he's "FULLY READY." Fully ready is just stupid.

I agree with you, I was just trying to be fully funny!:)

jobe
2nd Sep 2006, 01:55
I think that next time I hear "fully" ready/established,etc I shall chip in with a "partially" just to add to the general confusion.Agreed that it generally comes from "The" Birdseed or "The" Virgin. Uurgh!

rodney rude
2nd Sep 2006, 13:49
CPDUDE - oh okay, sorry. No - in fact I'm FULLY sorry!!!

Rodney

Mister Geezer
6th Sep 2006, 20:44
Fully Ready is something that I only hear with crews that operate into the London airports.

One ATCO at my home airfield made me laugh when a BA Minibus called 'Fully Ready' and the response was 'Roger - are you requesting push and start?' to which came a 'Affirm' in a slightly puzzled tone!

Gotcha! :}

throw a dyce
6th Sep 2006, 23:30
Bekol,
We tend to get a lot of Scandiwegans and Francais saying ready for push and start.OK push start approved.Look through the bins and they are still loading the bags.10 mins later they finally start pushing.It's also a hangover from LL because of the problem above.
The Speedbuckets saying degrees is a best practice from London.Any heading that ends in zero must have degrees at the end,not to be confused with a FL.Headings with 5 at the end are ok.However if you have a FL that ends in 5,thats quadrantal in Class G,then I don't have the answer yet.:rolleyes:
You should see the crap that we have to say now.Blair's nanny Britain.Not like the old days at CLK building site.:D :ok:

Mr R Sole
7th Sep 2006, 10:33
The Speedbuckets saying degrees is a best practice from London

Thought it was a nationwide NATS idea?

parabellum
7th Sep 2006, 10:37
I can well remember in the days of IT, (Inclusive Tour), being told at various European airports to call ten minutes prior to 'fully ready' and on making that call being told by ATC to call 'fully ready', this was usually to allow partisan controllers to fit their own airlines in ahead of you!

More recently in the long haul world I can recall getting ATC clearance on the delivery frequency and being told to contact Ground. On calling ground, e.g. "xyz123 with ATC, stand xx" and the response was always, "roger xyz123 call 'fully ready' ".

C'mon chaps, time to get out more!:ok:

throw a dyce
7th Sep 2006, 11:33
Mr R Sole,
Thread creep,but the headings ending in zero I think started in LTCC,and was adopted nationally as ''Best practice''.It doesn't work so well with quadrantals which are numerous in Scotland.

Parabellum,
I certainly didn't give priority to CPA in HK,or BAW here.As far as not being ready when you say,then AFR regional take the biscuit here.You can clear them for push and start and nothing.Look through the bins and they are loading bag with a catering truck still attached.Then they turn the radio off.:= :*
At least when BAW say they are ready,then they are pushing very quickly.:ok:

Re-entry
7th Sep 2006, 19:03
FCUX. Are you sure? I'm with you on getting it right and keeping it simple. Maybe there are reasons for what happens elsewhere in the world. Like they are forced to operate ATC in the english language, which is not their local or normal language. Same for flight crew.

throw a dyce
7th Sep 2006, 22:25
FCUX,
Well that's what we do.Not pushing within 2 minutes then you have to wait.As for the rest of the R/T which we have to provide,then I agree,most of it is s:mad: t.You should see the runway incursion garbage that we have to say as well.Anyway getting off the point somewhat.
Hey what is it with American pilots.If they say ''Understand'' it's a guarantee that they didn't.
Anyway I'm sure the FAA has rules to the R/T that you use.If we don't use our standard R/T,and something happens,guess who's balls are hung out to dry.
Take it easy.:cool:

Five Green
8th Sep 2006, 03:22
The reason you are meant to add degrees is: in the event of poor reception, speaker turned tooo low, partially blocked transmissin, that you only hear the ....270. Then you happen to be climbing to 250 but your final is 290 so you set 270 read it back, busy controler hears what he expects and presto there you are. Unfourtunately some of these things were implimented for all the right reasons. Tenireef (man I bet I spelled that wrong) is an example, as are the numerous runway incursions of late.

Yes Chicago does get a little stroppy but not too bad. I was actually basaed there and as a foreign carrier you can tell they slow down when they talk to us which we appreciate !!! Some of what we have to say is in the manual so you have to blame those in management.

However cannot explaiin fully ready !

HKG Phooey
8th Sep 2006, 03:47
you guys are loosing the plot.... one word "fully" and all this chat about it. While i dont fully understand it all... I'd like to add in my worst word I hear in HK.....
"Stand-by".....
this fully makes me agro.... there are a few people on the ground in HK that only have one response to any call..... "stand-by" :\
wtf:ugh:
would a mayday get the same response???? Probably.... :=
Can you " Fully Stand-by"?????? :ouch:

Fliegenmong
8th Sep 2006, 04:13
Quote "The US maybe a disaster at alot of things, but they have it right with aviation."

And how many are or have been in this Chapter 11 is it? – bankruptcy protection? :hmm:

Freehills
8th Sep 2006, 04:44
[QUOTE=FCUX;2831530]

As for this "degrees" nonsense, it surely isnt used in the US, which by the way has the overwhelming majority of ALL aviation traffic. What pilot doesnt understand that "turn right heading 270" means turn right heading 270. Am i missing something here, is there another unit besides degrees that is used in aviation? Im sure if the Brits had it their way they would say "change your magnetic degree heading from your current, to new magnetic heading on your compass of 270 degrees magnetic heading". Ridiculous.
QUOTE]

Uhm, there are many units besides degrees used in aviation. Feet, metres, knots, gallons, litres, lb-ft, kilos, pax, tonnes, etc. Granted, not all used in ATC-cockpit R/T, but feet (flight levels) and degrees could be mixed up quite easily...

Bedder believeit
8th Sep 2006, 04:50
HKG Phooey

Get your facts right mate. The only place you get consistent "standby's" is from CDC and the bulk of the time that is being done by non ATC's. CDC is a coordination nightmare, so it will happen. If you are told to standby by ground, there is a reason, either what you want is not immediately/readily available, or the poor bugger wants a second to gather their thoughts. I often ask pilots a question and am answered "standby"..I don't always expect an immediate answer. So please be reasonable with what you put here, and what you expect in the real world, or both.

HKG Phooey
8th Sep 2006, 06:27
whatever..........

Dragon69
8th Sep 2006, 07:47
On any given day the US has more aircraft movements than the rest of the WORLD combined. So its just common sense that the system caters to the people who use it the most...let alone the people who invented aviation.

Is that the same American logic as nothing matters outside of the U.S.

Exactly what part of aviation did the Americans invent?? The wing? Glider flight? The reciprocating engine? The jet engine? The radar? The radio? Taking inventions and putting it together doesn't constitute as an invention! Please don't be so arrogant!:=

luvmuhud
8th Sep 2006, 23:30
The US maybe a disaster at alot of things, but they have it right with aviation.

FCUX - you need to introduce yourself to Redflyin. A few weeks back he questioned why Cathay seems to have something against US pilots. I don't represent Cathay, but your post provides a pretty good illustration.

Reading your post, I am reminded of a story a QFI mate of mine told. He was on exchange in the US at a military flying school, and was quite humbly trying to explain the concept of base speeds (TAS vs GS calculations) at different temperatures and altitudes on low level navigation sorties. The US instructors looked at him blankly, and one of them replied "We invented flyin' man - what would you know!"

I have worked with a lot of US pilots, and most have been good operators, but unfortunately, a large percentage of pilots from Commonwealth countries seem to have their own personal examples of US arrogance which tends to muddy their opinion of the US community.

As I say, it is unfortunate because in my experience, the US does have a lot of great pilots, and they do build the best aeroplanes in the world!

rodney rude
12th Sep 2006, 03:31
Hey HK Phooey,

If a long discussion about "fully" winds you up a bit - I'll tell you what winds me up a bit - the amount of guys on PPRUNE (yourself included) who do not know the difference between loose and lose.

Loose - not tight
Lose - to misplace, to not win

Call me a spelling nazi if you wish but I am truly dumbfounded by the amount of times so called intelligent aviators make this mistake.

So what did you mean when you say we are loosing the plot? did you mean we are making the plot less tight, or did you actually mean we are losing the plot.

Rod (English teacher)

cpdude
12th Sep 2006, 04:23
Hey HK Phooey,

If a long discussion about "fully" winds you up a bit - I'll tell you what winds me up a bit - the amount of guys on PPRUNE (yourself included) who do not know the difference between loose and lose.

Loose - not tight
Lose - to misplace, to not win

Call me a spelling nazi if you wish but I am truly dumbfounded by the amount of times so called intelligent aviators make this mistake.

So what did you mean when you say we are loosing the plot? did you mean we are making the plot less tight, or did you actually mean we are losing the plot.

Rod (English teacher)

Rod...iregardless, you realy must chill cause you our getting two uptite about such little things. I hope you and your spelling nazi counterpart find better things too do than to fix the one or to mistakes some of us due when we our tired. So long and have an good nite!:}

Fliegenmong
12th Sep 2006, 04:24
Fully ignorant, fully arrogant, fully fully

What has this thread not got eh? Fully feckin everything!

"If I could lose a few kilos then this shirt may be a little more loose than it is now"

Fully correct

Fully fun

Fulla ya selves!!

:8 :D :D :}

slapfaan
12th Sep 2006, 08:51
....."UNDERSTOOD"....whatever THAT means....:ok:

RRSM
12th Sep 2006, 09:36
Dyce,
I would like to see the idea of a 2 minute time limit on the push backs in Hong Kong. At least half the airplanes would fail and have to wait for their turn again. Can't really see our management standing up to the airlines, though!

7Q Off
12th Sep 2006, 21:20
too much ego in the 1st world. Relax a little :ok:

Bedder believeit
15th Sep 2006, 12:14
Hey Hkg Phooey, now is your big chance mate. Beta Light posted a complimentary comment on page 3 of the Hkg Atc thread early today. Maybe you could ask him (or her) if their Emergency call was answered with a "standby". I wasn't there, and maybe I am wrong, but it would seem not!

Whatever......