PDA

View Full Version : BAE systems KSA:job opportunities.

bounce'em all
26th Aug 2006, 23:25
Hello everyone.
I've been considering the FI job with BAE in KSA as a post-military option. I know the matter has already been addressed elsewhere, but I'd appreciate any inputs from anyone who's recently been there or, better yet, still is. For instance, here's a question: putting aside the cultural shock (which has already been taken into account), what would/will you do once you're back home, if all you've ever done so far is military flying, and you aren't service anymore?
Thanks to all.

Bounce'em all

bounce'em all
27th Aug 2006, 14:03
I might, but I can't see which airline would want to hire a 40+ year old with no wide body time...

Raymond Ginardon
27th Aug 2006, 18:37
40+ with no heavy time is no problem for airlines (assuming you are ex-mil + ATPL etc?).

I know LOADS of folk in that category who have been toying with multiple offers.

Cheers,

Ray :-)

NoseGunner
27th Aug 2006, 19:45
40+ with no heavy time is no problem for airlines (assuming you are ex-mil + ATPL etc?).

I know LOADS of folk in that category who have been toying with multiple offers.

Cheers,

Ray :-)

What he said.

:)

bounce'em all
28th Aug 2006, 17:40
I am ex mil, always FJ, frozen ATPL, but still....

BEagle
28th Aug 2006, 18:06
All that working as a mercenary in the Great Sandpit for BWoS would achieve for you is a few years further away from an airline LHS job.

You might have been ace-of-the-base as a FJ mate, but airlines have a seniority list and that will count for nothing. If you want to stay off the list, go work for BWoS. Otherwise, kiss off the offer of working for 't Bent Baron and make a clean break into civil life.

bounce'em all
28th Aug 2006, 21:55
That's exactly what I'm afraid of, BEagle...My problem's I probably am not ready to let it all go and move onto commercial aviation. From what I understand speaking to colleagues who took the leap, airlines are not aviation's heaven any longer.
You guys into commercial aviation or what?

psy clops
29th Aug 2006, 06:32
I PVR'd after Brüggen closed, did 4 years in KSA and have now been on the 'bus with CX for almost a year - and I'm pushing 40. There are plenty of people here who have joined directly from a FJ cockpit, many of them > 40.

As an aside, my time in the Kingdom kippered my marriage, so almost everything I made there is going to her...
Pretty good money, sh*te life. If you DO go, have an exit strategy, and don't be surprised about how little you can save out of that reasonable salary.

PM if you need more.

4Greens
29th Aug 2006, 07:35
Plenty of challenges flying civilian - just different ones. Did mil and then airline and enjoyed the lot.
There is a looming pilot shortage out East so age is not such a big problem at the moment.

bounce'em all
30th Aug 2006, 20:34
thanks to you all, gentlemen.
Please keep them coming. I marvel at the amazing variety of your comments, often made me think of something I hadn't thought yet.

Monty77
8th Sep 2006, 16:40
Don't gaff off UAE or Qatar.

Stick your nose in and have a look. There are jobs around for ex-mil mates which are tax-free and don't involve crap airline stylie lifestyles.