PDA

View Full Version : RN Merlins with "names" applied on the nose

nickn
26th Aug 2006, 23:21
Tried to searching the RN website and all the RN Merlin squadrons websites to find the answer but no joy, and wondered if someone on the forum could help.

I've photographed a couple of RN Merlins that have names applied to the nose, today at Navy Days one had "Tristan" and at Culdrose airday a few weeks ago photographed "Gareth", could anyone tell me the reason why they have names applied to them?

Nick

India Four Two
27th Aug 2006, 04:46
Merlin -> King Arthur -> Knights of the Round Table?

See here for a complete list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Round_Table

Does the Boss get "King Arthur"?

I would love to know who flys "Ywain the Ba$tard". Trappers, perhaps?

Si Clik
27th Aug 2006, 07:38
IF2 & NickN

824 NAS have indeed named all their aircraft after Knights of the Round Table. Since we have less aircraft than Knights we have been picky with the names but I flew in Gawaine yesterday and we also have an Arthur. If you would like a full list of the current names then I will post on Tuesday.

Si

QFIhawkman
27th Aug 2006, 09:55
I'm just imaginging a long line up of Navy pilots singing....

"We eat ham and jam and spamalot!"

ORAC
27th Aug 2006, 10:00
I do hope they have a Sir Robin (the Not-Quite-So-Brave-as-Sir Launcelot) ;)

vecvechookattack
24th Sep 2006, 10:53
could anyone tell me the reason why they have names applied to them?

Cos the RN has just received a whacking great big addition to its budget and we need to spend the extra wonga somehow.

serf
24th Sep 2006, 18:29
saw one with the name on the nose.................u/s

movadinkampa747
24th Sep 2006, 20:29
IF2 & NickN
we also have an Arthur.

Ahhh but do you have a Roger.................................:)

mallardpi
25th Sep 2006, 14:53
.............no, but we might have a Weginald...........or.......

airborne_artist
25th Sep 2006, 15:20
Originally Posted by Si Clik View Post
IF2 & NickN
we also have an Arthur.

Would that be Arthur Ninch, by any chance?

HEDP
25th Sep 2006, 16:12
I'm kinda surprised they haven't all got a HMS in front as well. It would be one way to keep a few more 'ships' in the fleet!:E

movadinkampa747
25th Sep 2006, 16:20
I'm kinda surprised they haven't all got a HMS in front as well. It would be one way to keep a few more 'ships' in the fleet!:E
Oh dear a little recognition training required here..........
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/upload/img_400/1055500217b.jpg
Ok the ship is the big grey thing in the water and the Merlin is the not so big thing in the air..........

6foottanker
25th Sep 2006, 16:24
Ni! Ni! Ni!

The Helpful Stacker
25th Sep 2006, 16:29
Oh dear a little recognition training required here..........
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/upload/img_400/1055500217b.jpg
Ok the ship is the big grey thing in the water and the Merlin is the not so big thing in the air..........

Ahhh but the dark coloured things that carry out all that ungentlemanly sneaking about under water are also 'HMS' even though fishheads have informed me they are actually 'boats'. Shouldn't they be HMB? If not whats to stop helicopters being called Ships too, especially when the RN is on the habit of calling lumps of land-locked real estate a ship too.

:confused:

movadinkampa747
25th Sep 2006, 16:38
If not whats to stop helicopters being called Ships too, especially when the RN is on the habit of calling lumps of land-locked real estate a ship too.
:confused:
Surely the Ports are called HMNB as in...........

# HMNB Portsmouth
# HMNB Devonport
# HMNB Clyde

The Helpful Stacker
25th Sep 2006, 16:46
Surely the Ports are called HMNB as in...........
# HMNB Portsmouth
# HMNB Devonport
# HMNB Clyde

HMS Warrior, Northwood....:rolleyes:

movadinkampa747
25th Sep 2006, 17:02
Ok HMS Warrior http://www.northwood.mod.uk/nwood/history/warrior/shipone.jpg
Merlin http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/upload/img_400/1101393694b.jpg

The dictionary says that a helicopter is any of a class of heavier-than-air craft that are lifted and sustained in the air horizontally by rotating wings or blades turning on vertical axes through power supplied by an engine. A ship is a vessel, esp. a large oceangoing one propelled by sails or engines. Now I know that maybe difficult for you to understand but believe me it is true.

Strictly Jungly
25th Sep 2006, 17:34
[QUOTE=The Helpful Stacker;2871850]HMS Warrior, Northwood....:rolleyes:[/QU OTE]

Unhelpful stacker.
As all airstations are also named after birds (RNAS Culdrose, HMS Seahawk. RNAS Yeovilton, HMS Heron. RNAS Portland, HMS Osprey etc etc) I seem to remember an Airstation (WW2 vintage) that was quite possibly named after you............ strange sounding bird, however, modesty prevents me from naming it in a family forum!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards
SJ:hmm:

vecvechookattack
25th Sep 2006, 18:10
Yeovilton = HMS Heron

Toxteth O'Grady
25th Sep 2006, 18:16
Tw@tt

:cool:

TOG

HEDP
25th Sep 2006, 19:53
Mmmh yeah but! If you can have an airship then perhaps the RN should invest in a few, that way they could afford quite a few new ships:E