PDA

View Full Version : Holidays and hours

SIBUK
26th Aug 2006, 22:47
Hi :) I was just wondering, as a helicopter pilot how many hours per week do you work and how many of these are flying? What do you do while you arnt flying? I was also wondering what kind of holiday entitlement you guys get :)

gulliBell
26th Aug 2006, 23:49
>I was just wondering, as a helicopter pilot how many hours per week do you work?

about 4

>and how many of these are flying?

about 3

>What do you do while you arnt flying?

cruising PPRune and counting all that money they're throwing at me

>I was also wondering what kind of holiday entitlement you guys get?

exactly six months per year. Oh joy.

SIBUK
27th Aug 2006, 00:57
lol surly u are not serious. I expecting to be busting my ass here. Need to hear a few other replies ;)

tomstheword
27th Aug 2006, 01:10
>I was just wondering, as a helicopter pilot how many hours per week do you work?

60+

less than 1

working

holidays?

170'
27th Aug 2006, 08:25
SIBUK

Interesting post!

I´m on day rate at present, and accepting long tours due to avarice. currently 35 on,for this tour.

12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fly one training mission a week,and whatever SAR comes up. 3 missions this week. about 5 hours, plus 1.4 training. (alternate mountain and maritime winch ops)

Standard company tours seem to be 15 on 15 off,with paid days over.

Fixed base deals. (Where you live at your new home) are max 22 days a month, which I think are vigorously applied during the fire season, with a lighter schedule during the winter months

I currently work for a really big operation, and there has to be a lot of give and take, to accomodate the various divisions, and short term variation...

Public holidays for fixed base guys are given if possible.otherwise paid in lieu..Át least thats what some guys have said...Doesn´t apply on day rate of course!

When not flying, the co-pilot reads manga comics and asks probing questions about aerodynamics, AC/DC electrics, Boyles law etc?

When he does this....I rarely know the answer !

So!...Send him for coffee, and look up the answers...On his return, I´ve remembered the answer, even to include the occasional line drawing or formula...Fortunately he´s non-English speaking, and won´t read this...Or the games up :ouch:

Basically I spend most of my non flying hours reading, and the other guy makes beaucoup visits to the coffee shop ...;)

Yes, the pilots do the give part of the ' give and take scenario (SOP)

170´

VeeAny
27th Aug 2006, 09:00

Typically 5 days a week with 0730 departures and 1930 finishes.

some days 1.2hrs flying, others (like tomorrow) 8hrs flying, 16 sectors shortest 15nm longest 240nm with a 150nm over water leg.

Flight planning or organising maintenance, Drinking (after shutdown of course).

4 weeks paid per year.

Hilico
27th Aug 2006, 09:18
To find the maxima that anyone (in an AOC operation) should be flying in the UK, read CAP371.

lup
27th Aug 2006, 11:01
ALL depends on what you are doing.

Overseas touring I worked 10 hour days,flew avarage 4 hours per day,multible sectors 6 days per week.
On my day off ,anything that was available to do.
Holidays, contract month on month off so 6 months.

UK ad hoc charter PAYE, 0900 to 17030 if no flying, crack of sparrows to dusk or night if there was.
Avarage 300 hours per year flying, summer no many days off,winter two per week.
Holidays standard allowed by law (usually 4 weeks,but not all at once and don't expect bank holidays)

Free lance pilot, work as much as I want, only front up when I'm flying,have time off when I want it, only fly well kept aircraft,get paid a daily rate plus expenses (travel and B&B) and pay less tax than PAYE.

As I said there are many different flying jobs, with different life styles, charter,long line,SAR,police,ems,firefighting,filming,offshore europe,offshore middle east and elsewhere,pleasure flying,instructing,private owner pilot, the list goes on, they all have their own pay scales conditions and more importantly management or lack off it.

lup

topendtorque
27th Aug 2006, 11:04
SIBUK
the co-pilot reads manga comics and asks probing questions about aerodynamics, AC/DC electrics, Boyles law etc?

make sure he stays with boyle, if archimedes comes in the conversation I'd start getting real worried if you're doing over water ops.

170'
27th Aug 2006, 17:33
Top End...
We saw a school (do you call them a school?) of hammerhead sharks last week. Now he say´s "Do we have to come this far out. :eek:

He might have a notion to experiment with Archimedes principle, but I think the fear of ´death by shark´ keeps it under control ;) 170

TiPwEiGhT
27th Aug 2006, 18:04

60+

20-25ish

Organising jobs, preparing aircraft for next call/job

please explain to the boss what holidays are, he has always struggled about that one!

SIBUK
28th Aug 2006, 07:22
Whoa so you guys really bust you ass for this job then it seems :) I assume that you all love it though? :)

verticalhold
29th Aug 2006, 09:07
Just got back from a week away (helicopter tour of France for some customers) 2 days off and back for a week which I'm sure a junior hospital doctor wouldn't be allowed to work.

Luckily only 2 flights this week. Just a huge amount of driving (site surveys) catching up on admin, sorting out NSFs, and clearances for up-coming jobs, along with a maintenance meeting and a meet at the Belgrano.

Just can't start this morning. Prooning takes my mind off it.

VH

Disguise Delimit
29th Aug 2006, 09:15
Work? In the last 7 days? Hmm... about an hour.

Flying time? Ooohh, maybe 7 minutes.

Holidays? Every day is a holiday if I don't get called out. But I don't dare get more than 100 metres from the phone.....:sad:

How do I fill in the time? Prooning, ummm... check the email ... do the washing... vacuum ... ironing ... play with the dawgs ... check the email ... proon again... you get the drift.