PDA

View Full Version : Paris to Dakar flying

Eddie Vedder
26th Aug 2006, 18:34
Hi there
I have seen pictures of all the helicopters that are used for various roles during the event. Anyone know who does the hiring?
Thanx
EV

brushfire21
26th Aug 2006, 18:46
Its technically no longer the Paris-Dakar rally. They are changing where they start every year for diversity, 2006 it was Spain as I recall. But that is neither here nor there. I would love to be a rider on any of the support, EMS and media aircraft. Love watching the race, and wish the US media covered it more.

I ran across another post about this, and I can't remember which forum it was, but try doing a little search. At one time they were using Mont-Blanc Helicopters, and I don't think it has changed (maybe someone can chime in). I do know it was a french outfit that provides the A/C and pilots to the organization as it is also French.

vaqueroaero
26th Aug 2006, 23:08
I trained a French girl to fly in California a while ago. Her father owns his own Astar and flies the race as support for a team each year.

If you are really desperate I can try and track down an email address or something.

Eddie Vedder
28th Aug 2006, 17:14
Hi
Thank you for the replies. If it is not too much trouble, i would really like to get hold of someone to point me in the right direction.
Much appreciated
EV

No Foehn
28th Aug 2006, 20:11
The helicopters used in the rally since 2004 are from Hélicoptères de France (www.hdf.fr) based in Gap in France. They were eight or nine AS350s lined up on the taxiway at Gap-Tallard for several weeks after the rally this year waiting their turn in the workshop. Aviation & Pilote did a four page article on one of the pilot's experiences last May.

Eddie Vedder
29th Aug 2006, 17:46
Thanks again
I'm currently in the middle of no where, doing contract work in Sudan, and guess what? There lies a copy of the exact issue in the house we stay. Thank you. The article is great.
EV

karroo
30th Aug 2006, 00:31
Hi!!!

Just to correct and add some information, the last year event was Lisboa-Dakar, and Lisboa or Lisbon is in Portugal not spain neither algarve.
The nest 2 races will start in Portugal and I have also heard a rumour that will not cross Spain.
I was blessed to fly during the stages in Portugal with the race director Mr Didier if i remember... it was a dream come true. since i became a heli pilot. At the end of the last stage in Portugal I was crossing my fingers that the others pilots that went to Africa had somekind of intestinal problem and they would call me to carry on the work:\ ...
While the event was in Portugal all the flight were made by Portuguese companies.

Regards

Artur